Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snail22

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2012
I resorted to Bartender, since nobody seems to know any other method.

If a third party app is able to get rid of the icon though, you would think there must be some terminal command that could do the same thing.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I resorted to Bartender, since nobody seems to know any other method.

If a third party app is able to get rid of the icon though, you would think there must be some terminal command that could do the same thing.

am also using bartender, and am actually glad i found this app, as i appreciate what i can do with it (besides hiding NC).

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I can't believe we have to resort to a 3rd party tool to turn this crap off. Yosemite has been a huge letdown to me. Slow, buggy, and filled with 'features'.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I can't believe we have to resort to a 3rd party tool to turn this crap off. Yosemite has been a huge letdown to me. Slow, buggy, and filled with 'features'.

notification center is designed to be there...and certainly not new in yosemite. so a third-party fix is not a bad thing...just like some people are modding their docks with c-dock. etc.

sorry yosemite has been a letdown for you. it's great here... :cool:

Notario

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2014
US & Int'l
OS Annoyance - Notification Center

100% agreed. Notification Center almost nullifies the dwindling advantage of Mac OS over Windows.

Even after you repeatedly spend lots of time ticking the boxes to remove these annoying messages, the Notification Center fails to retain the settings.

It's amazing this hasn't been fixed.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
100% agreed. Notification Center almost nullifies the dwindling advantage of Mac OS over Windows.

Even after you repeatedly spend lots of time ticking the boxes to remove these annoying messages, the Notification Center fails to retain the settings.

It's amazing this hasn't been fixed.

Totally agree. Every app I have set to launch on login goes back into Notification Center with all the silly alerts turned on. I am also on a mission to completely kill it. If it worked I probably would like it. But the net is overflowing with people having Notification Center settings that don't stick. Yes, I've done a clean install -- to zero avail. Thank God for iOS which I now use for 90+% of my computing needs.

svenr

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
It's an old thread, but in case someone still finds this useful.

It is possible to hide the Notification Center icon. It's a bit tricky, and there's a caveat: The icon will be gone, but you will not reclaim the space it took, i.e. in place of the icon you get empty white space. And I realize this is the Yosemite forum, but since many may want to do this for newer versions, I added the first part for 10.11 El Capitan and later.

1. Disable System Integrity Protection (SIP) for 10.11+
  1. Restart your Mac, immediately hold down Cmd-R and hold until you see the Apple logo
  2. A screen "OS X Utilities” appears. You are in Recovery Mode now. Ignore the window. Go to the Utilities menu on top and open Terminal.
  3. Enter
    Code:
    csrutil disable
  4. You should see a message that SIP was disabled.
  5. Restart again
This removes a lock on the System folder that allows you to do the following step. BTW, you will now also be able to delete unwanted default apps, like Chess, where OS X / macOS complained before that they "can’t be modified or deleted because it’s required by Mac OS X." However, it also removes a level of protection against malware hijacking your system.

2. Remove Notification Center icon
  1. Back in your normal Mac user interface, open a new Finder window to your boot harddrive (usually Macintosh HD) and go to /System/Library/CoreServices/
  2. From the list of files in there, find SystemUIServer.app and right-click on it. If you only have a one-button mouse, hold the [control] key while clicking. Choose "Show Package Contents".
  3. In the new window go to Contents/Resources/
  4. From the list of files in there, find menuitemNormal.pdf This is the icon artwork. Yes, it's a 12 KB PDF file for that tiny icon. Don't ask me why.
  5. Delete it. You will be asked for an admin password, so type it in.
  6. Restart again to see the effect.
Instead of doing it in the UI as above, if you're comfortable with the Terminal, you can also do this all in one line:
Code:
sudo rm /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/Resources/menuitemNormal.pdf

3. Optional: re-enable System Integrity Protection (SIP)
Do the same steps you took to disable, only now use the command
Code:
csrutil enable

Xde

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2016
In Mavericks you cannot control the notification center, because you will make FaceTime unusable. If you get an incoming call, no window appears. So you cannot accept the incoming call.
I think, there is no solution. All the code is Spaghetti. If you switch one thing off, you break another.

I did not check other OS Versions like 10.10.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.