Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Nothing really yet. A few of the games have been lame, but games are something that you almost need to play before really knowing if you will like them. I did buy a crossword puzzle app for my daughter that was $10 and turned out to be way to difficult for her - she's 9.

I do wish there was a way to have a demo for apps. I know they are cheap for the most part, but I still like to mess with software before I decide to buy.

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
I thought Pages would be the key to producing texts and transferring them to colleagues on Macs and PCs, but now I'm back to waiting for Documents to Go Premium Universal. If pdfs from Pages have fonts that can't be read properly by Adobe and Word docs lose their formatting, and footnotes evaporate, I will simply not use it. I also find its menu for formatting text awkward.

DrSamS

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2010
I have been very disappointed with the whole iWork apps. They are almost toy like.

ScrewTheDaisies

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Disappointed with Pages, especially given the pre-release hype and the price. I expected it to be somewhat of a light version, sure, but not quite this light.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I have more of the "I shouldn't have bought it" feeling about the iWork apps (Pages, Numbers, and Keynote)—have yet put them to good use. And it's not as easy to use as I expected.

Apple should really have their own Preview app (like the OS X equivalent); I'm buy it in a heartbeat.

ijen0311

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2009
I guess most won't agree, but I think Plants vs. Zombies sucks. I wish I could have previewed a "lite" version. Worst $10 ever!

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
iTeleport

Good for, "Bet you $24.99 that I can access my desktop computer from where I'm standing with my iPad"

riam

macrumors regular
May 7, 2010
Mty, Mexico
I read in the ithnes comments that angry birds HD is the same version that in the iphone but 5X the price and hd graphics verry expensive for thensame game.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
Zinio for me even tho it's free much of the content cost $. It's the worst App I have ever used. It's going to give Magazines a bad name.

AC Rempt

Contributor
Feb 24, 2008
Zinio for me even tho it's free much of the content cost $. It's the worst App I have ever used. It's going to give Magazines a bad name.

I totally agree! I thought I would use this app a lot, but content doesn't look that good. I am still hoping the iPad becomes a new means to distribute print material like magazines and newspapers, but it hasn't happened yet.

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island

Are you seriously expecting magazines through Zinio to be free???
Yes Zinio's content need purchasing but it's very cheap to subscribe your magazine through Zinio as opposed to purchasing $4.99 per issues (eg: Times Magazine app)

I've been reading The Economist on Zinio and it's been great. $126.99 for 52 issues (~$2.50) is much better than paying $6.99 per issues

iSingandiDance

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
None so far, but I've only purchased Magic Piano which I thoroughly enjoy.

I've held off with purchasing iPad apps because my iPhone apps are just as good, albeit a bit grainy.

I'm just waiting for "NBA Live" to be released for iPad with a multiplayer ability. Other than that, it will be interesting to see what devs can do with this great device. A lot of people have had buyer's remorse and in turn have returned iPad but I think those folks jumped the gun and will regret their decision once the 'made for iPad' apps really start surfacing.

At least I hope. It's what's keeping my belief in this device.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Several actually:

Angry Birds, Flight Control and Plants and Zombies are pretty much the exact same games. Seems like I wasted money buying them again.

Popular Science and Time were a waste considering the prices for new issues and the fact that you can get a print subscription for 12 months for $10 on Amazon.

Weather HD is pretty, but there’s not much there.

World Atlas doesn’t offer much beyond Google Maps.

Good Reader is kind of convoluted despite the positive reviews (I really just want Preview.app).

Sketchbook I’ve used twice.

Pages is fine for quick tasks, but it’s really stripped down.

——

My biggest complaint is the pricing.

I’m not really upset though. I was expecting to have some duds. It’s sort of like the first six months of the iPhone App Store where Super Monkey Ball was $10-15 and you quickly realized it wasn’t near as fun as you thought it would be.

My one treasure iPad app is AirVideo. I bought it sight unseen and never expected it to be as good as it is.

steel magnolia

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
South Florida/ N.C.
I like Zinio, saves me a lot of money and saves a few trees too. I just wish that all mags, newspapers, and books could be in the same place, like all in iBook. Seems so scattered right now.

Patty

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
Are you seriously expecting magazines through Zinio to be free???
Yes Zinio's content need purchasing but it's very cheap to subscribe your magazine through Zinio as opposed to purchasing $4.99 per issues (eg: Times Magazine app)

I've been reading The Economist on Zinio and it's been great. $126.99 for 52 issues (~$2.50) is much better than paying $6.99 per issues

No, not at all. I did not say that (i don't think?). I was referring to the App.
I don't mind paying for content at all. I would gladly pay for magizines or newspapers but the Zinio App on the other hand is terrible in how it works.

I guess I expect an App like Zinio to work a little better than it does. That is why I said it's going to give magazines a bad name b/c the use of the Zinio App is so poor.

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
No, not at all. I did not say that (i don't think?). I was referring to the App.
I don't mind paying for content at all. I would gladly pay for magizines or newspapers but the Zinio App on the other hand is terrible in how it works.

I guess I expect an App like Zinio to work a little better than it does. That is why I said it's going to give magazines a bad name b/c the use of the Zinio App is so poor.

Well I do apologize, I have a feeling that you were saying just that. Zinio has been pretty good for me but the app itself is very clunky in general (eg: Not able to remove magazine cover that came free with the app OR there is no indication if the app is "doing something"). Their iPhone app is much better, however and I'm very sure they will improve the iPad app as well

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Thats why I'm glad for jailbreak and cracked apps. I'm all for buying good apps, but we need a better policy then find out if you like after you buy.

Feedback doesn't always help. I've liked apps that others disliked just about as much as I liked apps others didn't.

My list so far of disappointing purchases.

Magic Piano
iELECTRIBE

Sleazy E

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2009
Disneyland
Magic Piano sounded neat. Unfortunatly the novelty wore off very quick. That would be my most disappointing app.

For the person above that said Plants vs. Zombies was a waste of $10, you need to just consider yourself NOT a gamer. PvZ is one of the best games available.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
Pretty much everything I've bought except Air Video, Comic Zeal, and Atomic Browser. Oh, and Toodledo.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
pages: does not read .rtf files. i did not buy numbers or keynote because I don't want to find out that they have similar weaknesses after spending 20 bucks.
all alarm clocks: their alarmfunctions do not work unless you keep them running. probably a multitask problem.
calculators: i couldn't find a standard scientific calulator yet. either too simple or too complicated

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.