Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renzatic

Suspended
Original poster

I'm a big fan of the old Thief games. I love the slow, deliberate, open ended gameplay that gives you multiple ways to achieve your objectives. I'm also a big fan of Deus Ex for the same reasons. So when I heard about a game being designed by the original developers of both games, dragging along the old art lead from Half-Life 2 (which you can immediately tell, it looks a lot like HL2), I was pretty stoked.

...and for good reason as it turns out. Dishonored is pretty much a beautifully done extension of everything I loved about those old games. You have multiple ways to complete your objectives. One missing in particular has 9 ways you can approach it. You can go through it as a bloodthirsty maniac, slitting throats left and right like it's going out of style (and get the worst ending), or you can sneak through the entire game without spilling a drop of blood or even being seen a single time (which attempting to do so gets you the best ending). You don't even have to directly kill your targets. If you snoop around enough, talk to the right people, you can find fitting ways to remove them nonviolently if you want. Though nothing's stopping you from jabbing a sword under their chin if you feel like they deserve it.

It's a beautifully done game, and I recommend it anyone that might have a passing interest in it. And even people who don't. It's that good.

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
Original poster
First of all, the forum is for Mac and PC games, with a console subsection. It's for games, in other words.

Secondly, do what? It's a random youtube link. Good god. I'll see if I can track down the trailer on IGN's channel or something and embed the youtube link on the forums if you're so worried about me getting unearned magical mystery buxx.

flindet

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2011
This is a game whose spiritual home is on Mac.

I might wait for the Mac version. In fact, yes I will.

I'd buy this game all day long if it came to Mac. As it is, my Windows partition is pretty full and I don't know if I can be bothered. Maybe if it goes on one of those ridiculous Steam sales next year...

Renzatic

Suspended
Original poster
Provided it sells a bit, I wouldn't be at all surprised if a Mac version shows up a few months down the road. Most UE3 games tend to get ported fairly quickly.

flindet said:
As it is, my Windows partition is pretty full and I don't know if I can be bothered.

It's about a 5-6GB install. Make room. It's worth it.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
You're in the Mac and PC Games section for crying out loud.

Already sent my feedback on this some time ago. A mixed games section makes ZERO sense when what we look forward to are games that can be run natively on Mac.

There are already a gazillion sites devoted to Windows gaming; why does MR need to be another one of them?

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
Already sent my feedback on this some time ago. A mixed games section makes ZERO sense when what we look forward to are games that can be run natively on Mac.

There are already a gazillion sites devoted to Windows gaming; why does MR need to be another one of them?

SO youre saying we should just dump the Windows/Bootcamp section too? Because there are other gazillions other sites that support windows and/or bootcamp? Because to you a mixed OS section makes ZERO sense? Because what you are saying can be used in this case also.

And more importantly, we are a community of mac users, and fortunately(or unfortunately for some people) mac runs windows, and some(if not many) people on this forum has or work with a windows computer. And you're saying lets forget about them. If you dont like those section, then just dont visit them. Easy. Just because something you dont find useful doesnt mean its useless to everybody else.

Refurb82

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2010
All I'm going to say is I have on my base RMBP and it runs maxed out at 1600x800 at 60fps with vsync. Amazing game, looks a little dated (mix of bio shock and the sequel) but very fun!

TheGreatWumpus

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Vermont
Most UE3 games tend to get ported fairly quickly.

Haha. You do realize we've only had two UE3 games on the Mac? Borderlands and Arkham Asylum. We have more coming, like Arkham City, and maybe there's something else I'm forgetting, but "ported fairly quickly" is quite the overstatement :p

Of course I want to see more coming quickly, just saying, its not like we have a big list of them already.

SO youre saying we should just dump the Windows/Bootcamp section too? Because there are other gazillions other sites that support windows and/or bootcamp? Because to you a mixed OS section makes ZERO sense? Because what you are saying can be used in this case also.

And more importantly, we are a community of mac users, and fortunately(or unfortunately for some people) mac runs windows, and some(if not many) people on this forum has or work with a windows computer. And you're saying lets forget about them. If you dont like those section, then just dont visit them. Easy. Just because something you dont find useful doesnt mean its useless to everybody else.

Just wanted to chime in. I find it annoying and mildly confusing as well that the threads are mixed. I think a windows/pc thread has its place since as you pointed out Macs can run windows, and I bootcamp myself. I just wish it had its own section/category under the Gaming forums. Inside Mac Games does this, and I think it works very well, and is less clutter.

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland

To be fair to BRLawyer, I was a bit confused there as well because on the home page I clicked on the "Dishonored" link in the "Mac Gaming" section expecting that this had indeed been released on the Mac platform. I was a bit disappointed when I found it to be Windows only.

I'm with BRLawyer on this on. There are plenty of sites dedicated to non Mac gaming, this one should be for Mac games only. Either that or make it clearer (using prefixes maybe?) whether a game is PC only, PC/Mac or Mac Only in the thread title. I used to use bootcamp to run windows games on my Mac but now I either play on the XBox or Mac, Windows is dead to me. I suspect I'm not alone in that.

Anyway, just my point of view, no doubt many will agree and disagree.

Cheers,
Craig.

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
Dishonored looks like a good game. Looks like I will have to wait for an expensive, late and poorly supported Mac version...or I could just buy it for Windows.

I do not see anything wrong with a PC + Mac games section. Those who game purely on OSX should be used to being disappointed by now.

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
Dishonored looks like a good game. Looks like I will have to wait for an expensive, late and poorly supported Mac version...or I could just buy it for Windows.

I do not see anything wrong with a PC + Mac games section. Those who game purely on OSX should be used to being disappointed by now.

Ha ha, good one! :D

My bet is that OSX/iOS will have a better future ahead of it than Windows in the coming years. The last few years have also seen Mac gaming improve dramatically which is why I never use Windows any more. Steam and UE on the Mac open the door to a lot of good games.

I don't have a problem with a combined Mac/PC games section but the homepage link is misleading and ideally each thread should have P,M,PM prefixes to clarify what they are for. All IMHO of course...

MacGamerHQ

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Lyon, France
Trying to get back to topic, this game looks SICK. The critics are amazingly good. I would say this deserves a place in your windows partition, easy!

However, as mentioned before, I wouldn't expect this game anytime soon... Best case scenario, 1 year after the PC release (like Arkham City). Worst case? 2 years, like Arkham Asylum...

Cheers!

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
Maybe I'll get it during a Steam sale or something.

Not that well versed with this genre but I'd give it a try.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Picked this up yesterday, without knowing much about it. Really like the concept and the art style - even if a rat plague doesn't really grip me in fear. Looks quite good though, even on the 360.

It's quite linear so far, the only real choices are of the type "walk along the corridor or walk along the pipe overhead". I'm hoping it opens up a bit on later missions.

My one gripe - and it's a little petty - is that I always find some accents (American, or Canadian especially) jarring in 'fantasy' worlds. For some reason British accents are ok - maybe because we're used to dwarves/goblins etc. having English/Scottish/Welsh accents in popular movies - or non-native English-speaking accents seem fine.

Renzatic

Suspended
Original poster
Haha. You do realize we've only had two UE3 games on the Mac? Borderlands and Arkham Asylum. We have more coming, like Arkham City, and maybe there's something else I'm forgetting, but "ported fairly quickly" is quite the overstatement :p

Yeah, I saw those three games on a list of Mac ports recently, and...uh...I kinda made an assumption. Guess I was wrong. :p

For you Mac only people's sake, I hope it does. It's a great game regardless of what platform it's on.

Also, if any of you enjoyed this, you should considering hitting up GOG and grabbing copies of Thief 1 & 2 (and to a slightly lesser extent, Deadly Shadows). Dishonored is pretty much a fast paced modern take on that series. In some ways, the gameplay is a little better. Some of the maps are more complicated, and require a lot of forethought to get through undetected. Plus they're scary as hell. The perfect halloween games.

whooleytoo said:
It's quite linear so far, the only real choices are of the type "walk along the corridor or walk along the pipe overhead". I'm hoping it opens up a bit on later missions.

You're still in the prison, right? That's pretty much the tutorial level. It opens up considerably once you get to the first real mission.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland

No, I've said that we should have SEPARATE sections so that no such ridiculous confusion happens anymore. I and many others are tired of visiting a gaming thread just to find out that this "excellent game" is Windows-only.

I don't have a PC and don't intend to buy Windows+Virtualization solutions just to play a darned game. You wanna keep talking about the latest Windows blockbuster? Just make a separate section for that, then.

Pure Mac users will thank MR for that.

Renzatic

Suspended
Original poster
Or as someone mentioned above, you could just prefix your posts with MAC, PC, or MAC/PC for cross platform availability. Why have an entirely separate forum for what's really a minor to moderate distinction? After all, all modern Macs can run Windows, most games do come out for Windows first and foremost. A Mac specific forum likely wouldn't get nearly enough traffic to justify the effort to make it.

alvindarkness

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2009
No, I've said that we should have SEPARATE sections so that no such ridiculous confusion happens anymore. I and many others are tired of visiting a gaming thread just to find out that this "excellent game" is Windows-only.

I don't have a PC and don't intend to buy Windows+Virtualization solutions just to play a darned game. You wanna keep talking about the latest Windows blockbuster? Just make a separate section for that, then.

Pure Mac users will thank MR for that.

OK, fair enough, and its probably a good idea - after all I came here wondering if dishonored was really available for mac (even though I already bought it for windows as part of the steam id-software pack... but I also prefer not to boot into windows if I don't have too).

But in the meantime how about you let us stick to the topic of dishonored in this thread, instead of discussing what this forum should be like? Im sure you can post about that elsewhere on MR (and seems like you already have), where it would actually be noticed by the mods.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Hopefully a Mac version of this will come out at some point. In the meantime I have so many games to play, I can wait. It does look very cool though.

arashb

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2009
I really wanna play this game too, but until Windows 8 I'm holding off on reinstall bootcamp ><

Anyways, if you guys haven't make sure you "pledge" to codeweavers so we can get crossover for free so we can possibly play this game now instead of waiting for a port.

http://www.codeweavers.com/flockthevote/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.