Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
Awesome... How about Disney films bought on Vudu?

And... Is Song of the South in there? ;-)

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Not sure if they have anything like this already, I think Disney offers the service, but I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to take my many Disney purchased DVDs (back before Bluray) and "up-Convert" them to Digital Versions...I think you can send some DVD stuff to Disney and they will swap you for Blurays for like $8 or something. Giving the consumer the option to pay, say, $5 to upgrade DVD copies to Digital Copies helps get people into the "DIGITAL WORLD" and more likely to continue these Digital Purchases.

I, too, wish Apple had a way to do this. I know you can get them to ultraviolet at Walmart, but going to iTunes would be awesome!

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
$20 isn't a crazy price for a movie and I'd think about it, but I rarely pay more than $10-$15 to buy them in a store. It's not uncommon for me to see prices between $25 and $30 for movies - that's insane and I'd never pay that much for one.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The iTunes integration is an excellent feature. Now we can watch movies when we're not on wifi. Can't do that with iTunes.

Bugdozer

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
Downloaded this when i heard this morning.

Strange way to get The Incredibles...I thought I might have to buy it but it came free.

Pretty neat. though not sure why I'd use this over the iTunes versions I already have, but maybe this is solely for the Disney App purchased moves with Extras.

Anyway, nice to see it.

were you prompted to buy it? It does not show on my list but on featured it says Thanks for linking your itunes then play movie. when I click play it brings me to the itunes store with a button to purchase for 19.99...

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I don't think you can stream iTunes movies when you're not on wifi. I have cellular streaming on and it still won't allow me to do that.

Sorry, I misunderstood....didn't realize the Disney app allowed cellular streaming!

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
what about disk to digital from vudu? $5 per blu ray or DVD to get a digital copy

So, as others have stated, this bumps SD digital copies to HD copies...AWESOME!!

And from reading this, it sounds as though purchases made within the App will link to iTunes, so you have new purchases there too.

An article I read said available on iPhone/iPad and AppleTV...not sure if they simply meant AirPlay options or if this will be coming to AppleTV...what it would include that AppleTV Movies doesn't could be a way to watch "Extras" and supposedly there are FREE Bloopers, deleted scenes type stuff that is FREE-To-STREAM, not download.

Not sure if they have anything like this already, I think Disney offers the service, but I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to take my many Disney purchased DVDs (back before Bluray) and "up-Convert" them to Digital Versions...I think you can send some DVD stuff to Disney and they will swap you for Blurays for like $8 or something. Giving the consumer the option to pay, say, $5 to upgrade DVD copies to Digital Copies helps get people into the "DIGITAL WORLD" and more likely to continue these Digital Purchases.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Did they blow the doors off the Disney Vault? What happened to all their movies going back in the Vault after a limited time? :p

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
were you prompted to buy it? It does not show on my list but on featured it says Thanks for linking your itunes then play movie. when I click play it brings me to the itunes store with a button to purchase for 19.99...

It said to PLAY movie.
So when I hit PLAY it took me to a screen that said PURCHASE on iTunes.
clicked that (fingers-crossed) and when it went to iTunes it had a quick window-pop/overlay that either went away or I clicked something. anyway, it then had an iTunes pop-up that said (basically) "no room to download this movie" and so I wen to the computer to see in iTunes that it was there (in HD) and that it was also in my Videos section and the Disney App.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
This is cool. And the free copy of Incredibles will be enjoyed by my 4 year old tonight.

DigitalFirefly

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2008
I'm not seeing Captain America, Thor, or The Incredible Hulk on Disney Movies Anywhere. They show up in my iTunes library though.

A lot of my other Disney movies I never redeemed the digital codes. Is there a master list of ones that will show up on Movies Anywhere?

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Of course, not available in Canada. :|

Since it's Disney, I find it hard to believe that they couldn't have launched this elsewhere as well. It's tiring being treated as a second-class market. I know we're smaller but we're RIGHT next door and we're well aware when something launches in the US but we get overlooked or pushed back months.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008

Ultraviolet has this on VuDu and Flixter, but currently Disney titles are not included. I agree that it would be great to have the option, as well as the option to convert Blurays to digital copies.

----------

Awesome... How about Disney films bought on Vudu?

And... Is Song of the South in there? ;-)
I wish Song of the South would be. If Disney is truly worried about fall out for not being politically correct, releasing it as a digital copy and burying it during a time where everyone's attention is directed elsewhere would be a great way to accomplish it with minimal negative consequences.

samrossi4

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
Can someone tell me exactly how to download the HD copy of a SD Digital copy I have in my iTunes already? I've been re-downloading some films and they still come in SD.

Bugdozer

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
It said to PLAY movie.
So when I hit PLAY it took me to a screen that said PURCHASE on iTunes.
clicked that (fingers-crossed) and when it went to iTunes it had a quick window-pop/overlay that either went away or I clicked something. anyway, it then had an iTunes pop-up that said (basically) "no room to download this movie" and so I wen to the computer to see in iTunes that it was there (in HD) and that it was also in my Videos section and the Disney App.

Tried it and was charged 19.99 for the movie :(

I have sent a message to disney about it within the app where it says contact us...

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Does the app allow you to video output (via HDMI cable) from iPad to HDTV?

I know that certain apps disable this ability, even tho the ability is already supported by using an Apple Lightning-to-HDMI adapter.

Tim0

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Russia
"We're sorry! This website has a policy which prohibits access from within your geographical region."

Why am I not surprised...

Same thing with ATV - hardly anything to watch here. Will this geo limitation policy ever end? "Shut up and take my money!" (c)

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Can someone tell me exactly how to download the HD copy of a SD Digital copy I have in my iTunes already? I've been re-downloading some films and they still come in SD.

a few things.

you deleted the first SD copy?
You have the setting to download in HD via iTunes?
that setting has 720 and 1080 options

with mine. i have copies at home (presumably still in SD mode) on the iMac.
I have my work Macbook and have no movies on it, so the iCloud Corner Tag is there to Download and underneath it has the title and the HD symbol.

I really notice it with some of the earlier movies that I know were just SD versions.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
That was a nice freebie, one of my favorites. The Discover section of the app looks pretty cool, although it's not working on my iPod at the moment for whatever reason. Has quite a lot of behind-the-scenes and classic shorts that might be of interest to some.

I also think that $20 is a bit steep for a digital movie, but it's Disney, so you expect that. :rolleyes: Back in my day we were begging our parents for all the merchandising that came out with every new movie. So that $20 seems like a very small thing once you factor in the figurings, stickers, coloring books, stationary sets, plush toys, and all the other crap. I am sorry for all of you going through that now. :p

I actually saw a bit of the remaster of The Lion King a few weeks back in my 2D animation class and it blew my mind. If that was my first time seeing it, no way would I think it was from 1994. It looks so crisp and vivid. Whatever investment is going towards the restoration, is well spent.

I think the whole "vault" needs to be abolished though.

Semp1

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2012
NYC
None of the movies are showing up in my itunes library. Just on the Disney app. And I have about 30? The accounts are linked. Am I missing something? They're all available to download from iTunes but not to stream. That's very odd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.