Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

etandrib

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2007
Buying SD and getting HD

Has anyone tried buying the SD version of a Disney movie in iTunes for $15 and seeing if it gets automatically upgraded to HD because of the iTunes/Disney Movies Anywhere integration?

I know that past movies are upgraded when you link the account. I'm wondering about AFTER linking the account. This might be a little loophole to save $5 a movie.

Semp1

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2012
NYC
Has anyone tried buying the SD version of a Disney movie in iTunes for $15 and seeing if it gets automatically upgraded to HD because of the iTunes/Disney Movies Anywhere integration?

I know that past movies are upgraded when you link the account. I'm wondering about AFTER linking the account. This might be a little loophole to save $5 a movie.

Apple upgraded all the digital copies to 1080p two years ago as long as you didn't buy it from them lol. If you buy SD I wouldn't expect it. That's why buying discs is better. You get the disc. All the extras and the HD digital copy for an average of $20 on release day from amazon.

ajguy

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2014
Apple upgraded all the digital copies to 1080p two years ago as long as you didn't buy it from them lol. If you buy SD I wouldn't expect it. That's why buying discs is better. You get the disc. All the extras and the HD digital copy for an average of $20 on release day from amazon.

When did that happen, cause that was never the case for my library.

Cool that my old Disney SD copies are HD in the app. Like it was asked earlier, I wonder what happens if you buy an SD copy of something from the app itself.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
I have The Nightmare Before Christmas which I bought on iTunes (SD), can I upgrade that to (HD)?

gabemz1006

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2014
HD downloads not available in iTunes

I too can't seem to access HD downloads in the Purchased section of the iTunes store. It only has SD versions of my movies available, which I already have. Also, the movies available in the Disney app with a digital copy that was not available in iTunes still are not showing up there. As far as I can tell, the only way to view those files is in the app - anyone else having the same issue?
If you've been able to download HD iTunes versions of SD digital copies you previously owned, along with digital copies that weren't available through iTunes (i.e. Robin Hood, Sword In The Stone, Winnie The Pooh) please post a step by step for the rest of us. Thanks!

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Downloaded this when i heard this morning.

Strange way to get The Incredibles...I thought I might have to buy it but it came free.

Any idea how to transfer The Incredibles to iTunes on Mac? I connected iTunes and Disney Anywhere but The Incredibles is not showing up as purchased.

Larsennet

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2010
If you bought the SD version from iTunes it will not upgrade to HD. Only Digital Copies upgrade.

For example, I have 3 Pixar movies that I bought directly from the store a few years ago. They did not upgrade but all of my 21 Disney/Pixar/Marvel Digital Copies has been upgraded to HD with a couple of exceptions.

Thor, Captain America, Iron Man 1&2 are Paramount movies but Disney bought the rights to them last year Source. I have SD digital copies of all except the first Iron Man. Only Iron Man 2 upgraded for me. I'm hoping this is a mistake and they add Thor & CA.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
My SD Digital Copies on the Home/iMac were still showing up as SD. I had to go into Purchased on the iTunes App Store and reDownload the HD versions.

Up went from being a (think) 2009 release date to a 2013 release date in HD....it also included iTunes Extras for a few movies. Didn't look like all had extras. I don't see any extras for The Incredibles that I just downloaded FREE via the App.

Not sure if that helps anyone.

Perhaps you would need to first delete the movie in your iTunes then go to purchased and redownload in HD.

leo8877

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2010
If you bought the SD version from iTunes it will not upgrade to HD. Only Digital Copies upgrade.

For example, I have 3 Pixar movies that I bought directly from the store a few years ago. They did not upgrade but all of my 21 Disney/Pixar/Marvel Digital Copies has been upgraded to HD with a couple of exceptions.

Thor, Captain America, Iron Man 1&2 are Paramount movies but Disney bought the rights to them last year Source. I have SD digital copies of all except the first Iron Man. Only Iron Man 2 upgraded for me. I'm hoping this is a mistake and they add Thor & CA.

I am also seeing Iron Man 2 upgraded to HD, but Cap and Thor are not.

boredandlonely

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2008
"Unable to connect accounts" error message from iTunes.app. I'll try again later.

I'm getting same error message. Is anyone able to get through?

I get an error when connecting? Any help?

I can't get connect either.

FYI:
iPhone 4, 7.0.6, jailbroken, T-Mob

Initially signed into app with Disney Movie Rewards login, then was prompted to "update" that account info while still in app,. The same window ALSO made it sound like a NEW account, rather than shared login.

gabemz1006

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2014
My SD Digital Copies on the Home/iMac were still showing up as SD. I had to go into Purchased on the iTunes App Store and reDownload the HD versions.

Up went from being a (think) 2009 release date to a 2013 release date in HD....it also included iTunes Extras for a few movies. Didn't look like all had extras. I don't see any extras for The Incredibles that I just downloaded FREE via the App.

Not sure if that helps anyone.

Perhaps you would need to first delete the movie in your iTunes then go to purchased and redownload in HD.

I've deleted the SD versions of the digital copies on my Mac and gone back to the Purchased section of the iTunes store several times - they are still showing up as available to download in SD only. Not sure why mine isn't doing what everyone else's is?:mad:

gabemz1006

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2014
I've deleted the SD versions of the digital copies on my Mac and gone back to the Purchased section of the iTunes store several times - they are still showing up as available to download in SD only. Not sure why mine isn't doing what everyone else's is?:mad:

After trying several times on the iPhone, iPad, and online through the Disney movies anywhere website, I've come to the conclusion that my iTunes account was never properly linked, which must be why the HD files are not showing up on my Purchased page. My Disney account does show connected to iTunes in all of the above, but when I try to disconnect it (in order to reconnect again), it opens iTunes to finish the disconnection process but then does nothing else and gives me no other message. When I go back to the Disney app or website, it still shows my account as connected to iTunes. Anyone else encountering the same problem or found a solution? I'm thinking I will just have to ask for help through the Disney website.

Zoboomafoo

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
I get an error when connecting? Any help?

iphone: error connecting your account
ipad: itunes crashed before it even asked if i wanted to connect.
mac: worked fine :)

If you signed up to Disney Movie Rewards, you'll eventually get an email with a link to "Watch my Movies". Sign in and eventually you'll see the links to connect put in front of you.

So, try doing from desktop and see if that works.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
I got every thing to work, but iTunes Extras option to download is not showing in iTunes?

boredandlonely

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2008
I can't get connect either.

FYI:
iPhone 4, 7.0.6, jailbroken, T-Mob

Initially signed into app with Disney Movie Rewards login, then was prompted to "update" that account info while still in app,. The same window ALSO made it sound like a NEW account, rather than shared login.

After trying several times on the iPhone, iPad, and online through the Disney movies anywhere website, I've come to the conclusion that my iTunes account was never properly linked, which must be why the HD files are not showing up on my Purchased page. My Disney account does show connected to iTunes in all of the above, but when I try to disconnect it (in order to reconnect again), it opens iTunes to finish the disconnection process but then does nothing else and gives me no other message. When I go back to the Disney app or website, it still shows my account as connected to iTunes. Anyone else encountering the same problem or found a solution? I'm thinking I will just have to ask for help through the Disney website.

iphone: error connecting your account
ipad: itunes crashed before it even asked if i wanted to connect.
mac: worked fine :)

If you signed up to Disney Movie Rewards, you'll eventually get an email with a link to "Watch my Movies". Sign in and eventually you'll see the links to connect put in front of you.

So, try doing from desktop and see if that works.

They updated the app already. Fixed connection issue for me. =)

iAdamator

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2013
South San Francisco, CA
I got my DMA account and iTunes to sync ok and all my movies are in both places. The problem I am having is in the video App on my iPhone 5 (with the most current iOS 7.0.6) is that some of the movies don't have "thumbnails" they just have generic titles. I have tried to toggle show all movies on and off but it doesn't help. Tried resetting, rebooting.

I realized that every movie that is doing this is one that carried over to iTunes directly because of my signing up to DMA that took my previously registered movies from my DisneyMovieRewards account. So I had a lot of movies flow into my iTunes that I had never expressly redeemed the digital copy of.

What's more, this isn't happening on my iPad 4. The movie still steam fine. Just wish they had proper thumbnails.

attachment.php

Attachments

• photo (1).PNG
    photo (1).PNG
    632.4 KB · Views: 758

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Now, if we could just get Star Wars on iTunes ...

I bet the 2015 releases will be digital and tie to this app

I think only digital copies that you got with Bluray get upgraded. That is how it worked for me.

I am also seeing Iron Man 2 upgraded to HD, but Cap and Thor are not.

Did you buy DVDs or Bluray for those?

Larsennet

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2010
I think only digital copies that you got with Bluray get upgraded. That is how it worked for me.

Did you buy DVDs or Bluray for those?

All of my digital copies are from Bluray's. It appears that Captain America & Thor aren't being upgraded for anyone. Hopefully this was just an oversight and they get added eventually.

redboxcar

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
I agree, I don't know why I would use this app over my iTunes match videos access :confused:

This app includes a bunch of extras, which is a huge feature for a lot of people (myself included). In addition, it's almost like a playlist of specifically Disney movies. Some people are enjoying that for their kids/selves.

My digital copy versions of Thor and Captain America are not showing up in my collection. Is anyone else not seeing their digital copy films showing up in the app after linking accounts?

Thor & Captain America are Paramount titles. I've called DMA support, they said that Disney is working on the licensing issue and it should automatically roll into the app in the next couple of weeks.

Can someone tell me exactly how to download the HD copy of a SD Digital copy I have in my iTunes already? I've been re-downloading some films and they still come in SD.

This only applies to Disney digital copies that were redeemed since 2008. If you have the SD copies stored locally, delete those from your library, then go to the iTunes Store under the Purchased section, and they should be available for download in HD.

I too can't seem to access HD downloads in the Purchased section of the iTunes store. It only has SD versions of my movies available, which I already have. Also, the movies available in the Disney app with a digital copy that was not available in iTunes still are not showing up there. As far as I can tell, the only way to view those files is in the app - anyone else having the same issue?
If you've been able to download HD iTunes versions of SD digital copies you previously owned, along with digital copies that weren't available through iTunes (i.e. Robin Hood, Sword In The Stone, Winnie The Pooh) please post a step by step for the rest of us. Thanks!

See above. If you have the SD versions already downloaded to your library, delete those versions (move to trash) and then go back into the iTunes Store under the Purchased section to re-download them in HD.

I'm not having the issue with DMA copies not showing up in iTunes - the content in my app is the same content available in my iTunes, although when I searched for it in the Purchased section of my iTunes, I realized that all of the Disney movies were at the very bottom of the list, rather than at the top where the "most recent" purchases were.

Any idea how to transfer The Incredibles to iTunes on Mac? I connected iTunes and Disney Anywhere but The Incredibles is not showing up as purchased.

All of my digital copies are from Bluray's. It appears that Captain America & Thor aren't being upgraded for anyone. Hopefully this was just an oversight and they get added eventually.

See above. They were originally released as Paramount titles. According to DMA support, Disney is currently working on this issue and the titles should be available in the app sometime in the near future.

redboxcar

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
Looks like the Thor/Captain America issue has been fixed.

To get them to show up in your DMA account, disconnect your iTunes account and reconnect them. Wait about 5 minutes and they will appear in your DMA account. :) YAY!

Larsennet

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2010
Looks like the Thor/Captain America issue has been fixed.

To get them to show up in your DMA account, disconnect your iTunes account and reconnect them. Wait about 5 minutes and they will appear in your DMA account. :) YAY!

This worked perfectly, thanks. They popped right in.

ldycari

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2014
I linked the Disney Anywhere app and my iTunes yesterday. Both accounts are showing that they are linked on their respective settings page. However, Frozen and Incredibles are not showing up in my iTunes. Has anybody had this problem?

jayes

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Upon the announcement of DMA, I downloaded the app to my mini. I connected it to my iTunes account and all my movies were there.
Yesterday I added the code for Frozen to my DMA account. The movie showed up in the DMA app and I downloaded it.
However, when I open VIDEOS on my mini, Frozen does not show up. If I click STORE and look under purchased movies, it is there. It's just not showing up under the VIDEOS heading. Same thing on my iphone 5. Checked on my Mac and it's listed under purchases. I have not downloaded it the my Mac.
I can play it in the DMA app so it's not like it's not available. But don't understand why it's not listed under VIDEOS like my others.
I am finding this all a bit confusing. Do I have duplicate movies in both iTunes and DMA? If I download the movie through DMA, it still shows it in the "cloud" in Videos. Not sure why one hand does not know what the other is doing. What am I missing?

UPDATE:
I logged out of iTunes and logged back in. Frozen showed up under VIDEOS. So now they are listed in both apps, but VIDEOS does not know it's been downloaded from DMA. Is this typical behavior? Should I download from one place over the other?

Last edited:

iAdamator

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2013
South San Francisco, CA
I had the same problem with Frozen.

I first redeemed my Magic Code and choose iTunes + DMA. Like you, it showed up in my DMA app and in my iTunes purchase history but not in the VIDEOS app.

The way I made it appear was to redeem the code AGAIN but choose iTunes only the second time and then it showed up in Videos on my iOS Devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.