Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
While I can get Dolby Vision with Disney Plus on my Apple TV 4K, I’ve noticed that it doesn’t give me the option for filmmaker mode.

Maybe this picture setting is reserved for purchased or rented movies, for example, as opposed to streaming content?

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Whats filmmaker mode?
I’ve never heard of that before in relation to the ATV4K.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Oh ok cheers, seems this paragraph may answer the OPs question which I’d guess will be the same for the ATV4K or even maybe just the Disney+ app.

Using HDMI via an Ultra HD Blu-ray player is trickier. In this case, the AVI InfoFrame Content flag is used to indicate cinema content. This option was chosen since the InfoFrame is such an important part of the HDMI standard that the flag will get passed through all HDMI equipment regardless of age. The downside is that existing content doesn’t use this flag, so it will be a while before content producers start implementing it.

And also this paragraph

Does Filmmaker mode work with all content?​

Filmmaker mode can be engaged with practically all content with one notable exception: Dolby Vision.
Since Dolby Vision is a well-defined standard for producing high-quality HDR images, Filmmaker mode isn’t required. If the content has been mastered in Dolby Vision, it’s already been through the Filmmaker mode process, and therefore doesn’t require it.

Reactions: purdnost

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Thanks. My question is definitely answered. I read somewhere that Filmmaker mode works with Dolby Vision, but apparently only one or the other works at a time.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
I assumed, based on this webpage, that they could be used together, but I believe it’s saying they both work independently regardless of which is offered by the TV. In other words, both formats can be present, but not active at the same time.

How does Filmmaker Mode work/interact with HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision, etc.?

Filmmaker Mode is complementary to each of these and TVs can display content in Filmmaker Mode regardless of which of these technologies is present in the TV.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
Could film maker mode be added as a software update? I’m assuming so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.