Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I put it in this area as there are threads on movies and TV. I had mentioned this in "The Orville(TV)" thread.

My understanding is, Disney wants to acquire 20th Century Fox - which is all of Fox's Movie/Music/TV properties. Fox will still have its Broadcasting and News.

Pretty interesting. I thought is was over but there seems to still be talk about it.

I know Disney wants to put its streaming service together - are they buying Fox Shows to put them behind their paywall?

https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/6/16614108/disney-21st-century-fox-takeover

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
are they buying Fox Shows to put them behind their paywall?

Probably. I suspect the long term goals of all (large) content providers is to create their own streaming service. I wouldn't be surprised if, for example, all content except that which is their own is eventually pulled from Netflix so that it can be put behind a different paywall.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I put it in this area as there are threads on movies and TV. I had mentioned this in "The Orville(TV)" thread.

My understanding is, Disney wants to acquire 20th Century Fox - which is all of Fox's Movie/Music/TV properties. Fox will still have its Broadcasting and News.

Pretty interesting. I thought is was over but there seems to still be talk about it.

I know Disney wants to put its streaming service together - are they buying Fox Shows to put them behind their paywall?

https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/6/16614108/disney-21st-century-fox-takeover

I don't believe anyone getting hold of asserts will be good for any company.... We always can say good things, but most of the time its usually bad.... Usually the company acquisition destroy all the 'good' things about the parent company in the first place.

For instance shows would probably now go downhill or favorites shows cancelled.

Although you can say Disney shows + (Fox former shows) "oh great" but i don't see is that way.

Look what happened when they got some LucasArts ? They retired most iOS games.

Last edited:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I don't believe anyone getting hold of asserts will be good for any company.... We always can say good things, but most of the time its usually bad.... Usually the company acquisition destroy all the 'good' things about the parent company in the first place.

For instance shows would probably now go downhill or favorites shows cancelled.

Although you can say Disney shows + (Fox former shows) "oh great" but i don't see is that way.

Look what happened when they got some LucasArts ? They retired most iOS games.
I would assume Disney would keep both studios separate but just own the rights to everything. No way Disney closes the Fox backlot. Not enough room at Disney to produce everything. And if Disney wants content for their new streamer they won't be canceling hit Fox shows. It seems that Murdock wants to sell off parts of the company and downsize.

Reactions: Huntn

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Which is odd as he's not in any financial burden. Fox is doing well. Fox and ABC studios put out some of the best television programming in terms of quality and entertainment. Contrary to what Harris thought I was referring to, I meant we've come full circle from people cutting the cord to, again, having to sign up for multiple streaming packages. It isn't a daft concept if the quality of the stream is good in both video and audio, and there are no ads.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Which is odd as he's not in any financial burden. Fox is doing well. Fox and ABC studios put out some of the best television programming in terms of quality and entertainment. Contrary to what Harris thought I was referring to, I meant we've come full circle from people cutting the cord to, again, having to sign up for multiple streaming packages. It isn't a daft concept if the quality of the stream is good in both video and audio, and there are no ads.
With rights costs going up and everyone cord cutting I think Murdock knows that the old TV model is going to be ending soon. This is why Disney bought a huge share in MLBAM for streaming capabilities. He knows his big money is in sports rights and Fox News.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think Murdock knows that the old TV model is going to be ending soon.
Its changing, not ending and its going to be a slow process.

I tried cutting the cord a while ago, but my experiment failed. I was paying 80 dollars for internet only, and another 44 for my streaming service. So that's 124 (or there abouts). Going all in with Comcast, I'm paying about 150 after taxes, fees and tariffs. With that 150, I get a better DVR then what streaming offered, all of my broadcast channels (something that streaming didn't), and more channel selection.

I'm not saying that streaming is a failure but for my usage, I don't see the advantage. I think most people just want a tv, DVR and a remote. To that end, for the near future, traditional TV is going to remain largely the same, though I do think skinny packages being offered by providers may be the latest thing we'll see.

Reactions: 0388631

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
It'll never really end. We like to pretend we matter more, but the studios know the can delay their airing from going online for days or a week before streaming services syndicate them. Consumers who are dead set on watching a show will roll over.

I've got decent internet. It's 300/7 but more like 335/7-10, which is great but sometimes you do face net issues, and that isn't fun.

Its changing, not ending and its going to be a slow process.

I tried cutting the cord a while ago, but my experiment failed. I was paying 80 dollars for internet only, and another 44 for my streaming service. So that's 124 (or there abouts). Going all in with Comcast, I'm paying about 150 after taxes, fees and tariffs. With that 150, I get a better DVR then what streaming offered, all of my broadcast channels (something that streaming didn't), and more channel selection.

I'm not saying that streaming is a failure but for my usage, I don't see the advantage. I think most people just want a tv, DVR and a remote. To that end, for the near future, traditional TV is going to remain largely the same, though I do think skinny packages being offered by providers may be the latest thing we'll see.
Is this with internet? If so, it's a package? That's a good deal depending on how many channels you get and speed.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Is this with internet? If so, it's a package? That's a good deal depending on how many channels you get and speed.
I'm paying 150 for internet, DVR, and additional cable box. Yeah, its a nice deal, I'm not locked in to a contract, but the price will go up by 20 bucks two years from now or one year - tbh, I forget. Still its a great deal and beats out the streaming

ejb190

macrumors 65816
Yah, Disney and Fox merging properties. The Marvel fans are over the moon. The antitrust folks are in a tizzy. And the latest I heard was Comcast wants a seat at the table. I also heard the talks were over before they began. If you enjoy the world of billion dollar mergers, antitrust cases, FCC rulings and have a couple years to follow along, this one could be worth the cost of the popcorn.

Reactions: loby

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
This would be great for the MCU. Disney could add X-Men into the fold.

Because, let's be real here, the MCU is about to have "run its course". Avengers 4 is the end of the original lineup.

I would assume Disney would keep both studios separate but just own the rights to everything. No way Disney closes the Fox backlot. Not enough room at Disney to produce everything. And if Disney wants content for their new streamer they won't be canceling hit Fox shows. It seems that Murdock wants to sell off parts of the company and downsize.
Disney is increasingly making content on other sites, particularly the Pinewood Studios Lots in UK and Atlanta. They could easily keep the shows and close Fox Studios in LA. Let's face it, that's quite a valuable bit of land it's sat on.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I saw that its almost a done deal. I also saw Comcast was pursing 21st century fox, but I think it would face significant regulatory scrutiny given they own NBC/Universal and are a cable provider, but then I was surprised the NBC/Comcast merger went through.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing yet

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I saw that its almost a done deal. I also saw Comcast was pursing 21st century fox, but I think it would face significant regulatory scrutiny given they own NBC/Universal and are a cable provider, but then I was surprised the NBC/Comcast merger went through.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing yet

Fox is selling of movies and TV, and regional sports. I would imagine Disney would only want the movies and TV. Comcast can maybe get the regional sports.

Disney is not going to let the vast, vast library of 20th Century Fox Movies and TV go... ;)

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Fox is selling of movies and TV, and regional sports. I would imagine Disney would only want the movies and TV. Comcast can maybe get the regional sports.

Disney is not going to let the vast, vast library of 20th Century Fox Movies and TV go... ;)
They could tie in the regionals with ESPN. It’s a lot of content that ESPN doesn’t have.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
They could tie in the regionals with ESPN. It’s a lot of content that ESPN doesn’t have.
They could but I do wonder if the gov't would have an issue with ESPN having a virtual stranglehold on sports.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Ya since 1986 I believe.
[doublepost=1512676917][/doublepost]
They could but I do wonder if the gov't would have an issue with ESPN having a virtual stranglehold on sports.
Since it’s technically owned by Disney I’m sure they could be forced to keep the regionals as a separate division from ESPN. But that would not stop them from cross promotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.