Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I'm just happy that Kevin Feige will be in charge of the X-Men and Fantastic Four (get Brad Bird on the latter, as soon as he's done with Incredibles 2), and I hope this means they'll officially shift Legion into the MCU and use it to introduce the X-Men.

Also, this means Disney will have the rights to the Alien franchise.

So would that make this;

Xenomorph_queen.png

a Disney princess?

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I'm technical, so if you have technical details I'd love to see them.

And keep in mind, that 15.8 million users for the first episode of Stranger Things 2 is just one episode of one show. Hulu even does live streaming of cable shows.

Right. But remember that concurrency for a live burst event streaming is very different than concurrency for VOD streaming.

Here are your more technical details (I can dive even more so, but that will be saved for another time):

For VOD, you ingest, transmux, and segment content. Chunks get spread out to origin served by the CDNs. You can pre-generate playlists ahead of user consumption. All of the content is already out in the wild. It just needs to be assembled in a playlist for client apps to consume.

For live without getting into granular, there are mainly 2 types: events and "bypass" (i.e. non event). Generally, you have to do all of the VOD stuff on the fly. What that means is all your data ingestion services have to work realtime to spread it across origins and ensure that master playlists are updated as you go. Essentially one of the key differences is that if your chunk does not make it to origin and is cached ahead of time correctly, there will be some decoding issues by the client. All of these services have to be running at a performant level to ensure that everything gets encoded/transmuxed/cached as soon as possible to create a seamless user experience. Otherwise issues like this happens (and this isnt even a live event feed): https://www.theverge.com/2017/1/13/14257936/directv-now-errors-complaints-att.

Let's also cover midroll ad insertion. VODs you know where your commercial breaks are coming ahead of time, and you can pre-fetch fixed length ad pods. For live events, this has to be configured on the fly and will probably require a manual intervention or a subliminal message from the feed itself that signals when the feed should be focused back to live. It makes it quite more challenging given that you have to update playlists with this ad segment chunk and also notify clients to be able to react accordingly.

For live streaming cable shows, that's essentially following the "bypass" flow via some protocol similar to RTMP. Those are essentially wiring feeds to an encoder box that spits out encoded content that can be served through your CDNs. They don't usually worry about SSAI. You're basically watching an exact mirror of the cable stream.

Bottom line is... if you can do live (+event) well at scale, you can do VOD trivially. The same does not hold the other way around.

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
Right. But remember that concurrency for a live burst event streaming is very different than concurrency for VOD streaming.

Here are your more technical details (I can dive even more so, but that will be saved for another time):

For VOD, you ingest, transmux, and segment content. Chunks get spread out to origin served by the CDNs. You can pre-generate playlists ahead of user consumption. All of the content is already out in the wild. It just needs to be assembled in a playlist for client apps to consume.

For live without getting into granular, there are mainly 2 types: events and "bypass" (i.e. non event). Generally, you have to do all of the VOD stuff on the fly. What that means is all your data ingestion services have to work realtime to spread it across origins and ensure that master playlists are updated as you go. Essentially one of the key differences is that if your chunk does not make it to origin and is cached ahead of time correctly, there will be some decoding issues by the client. All of these services have to be running at a performant level to ensure that everything gets encoded/transmuxed/cached as soon as possible to create a seamless user experience. Otherwise issues like this happens (and this isnt even a live event feed): https://www.theverge.com/2017/1/13/14257936/directv-now-errors-complaints-att.

Let's also cover midroll ad insertion. VODs you know where your commercial breaks are coming ahead of time, and you can pre-fetch fixed length ad pods. For live events, this has to be configured on the fly and will probably require a manual intervention or a subliminal message from the feed itself that signals when the feed should be focused back to live. It makes it quite more challenging given that you have to update playlists with this ad segment chunk and also notify clients to be able to react accordingly.

For live streaming cable shows, that's essentially following the "bypass" flow via some protocol similar to RTMP. Those are essentially wiring feeds to an encoder box that spits out encoded content that can be served through your CDNs. They don't usually worry about SSAI. You're basically watching an exact mirror of the cable stream.

Bottom line is... if you can do live (+event) well at scale, you can do VOD trivially. The same does not hold the other way around.

Thanks for the explanation. So what are your thoughts on Hulu live streaming for example? Is that what they are doing for their cable tv/streaming service?

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Thanks for the explanation. So what are your thoughts on Hulu live streaming for example? Is that what they are doing for their cable tv/streaming service?

I suspect Hulu's live streaming is similar to the RTMP strategy where there's a direct feed from a channel provider and is being routed to an ingest/encoder -> cloud solution. When you DVR in the cloud, it won't strip the ads which implies the DVR is cutting from the master playlist the segment boundaries that the user wants saved.

Reactions: smallcoffee

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I suppose that would include FX too.

Yes and Nat Geo.... :)

Deal supposedly to close by this weekend - worth 60 BILLION Dollars, a pittance to pay for such a vast, vast library and ownership of 20th Century Fox Shows and Movies and all of National Geographic... :eek :

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/12/12/disney-fox-deal-could-reportedly-close-this-week

("The Orville" toys, WANT "The Orville" toys... ;) )
[doublepost=1513119367][/doublepost]

So would that make this;

View attachment 741347

a Disney princess?

"When you wish upon an (Alien) star.. Makes no difference, who you are (in space, where no one can hear you scream...)" :eek:

;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
FX as in the network that brought The Americans? And that show about meth?
Don't forget Archer.
[doublepost=1513126490][/doublepost]
I'm just happy that Kevin Feige will be in charge of the X-Men and Fantastic Four (get Brad Bird on the latter, as soon as he's done with Incredibles 2), and I hope this means they'll officially shift Legion into the MCU and use it to introduce the X-Men.

So would that make this;

View attachment 741347

a Disney princess?
Cinderella without makeup on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.