Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you buy Wi-Fi+Cellular versions of iPads or Wi-Fi Only?

• I only buy Wi-Fi Only iPads.

Votes: 247 53.8%
  • I only buy Wi-Fi+Cellular iPads.

Votes: 93 20.3%
  • One or more of my iPads have been Wi-Fi+Cellular. But I usually buy Wi-Fi Only.

Votes: 76 16.6%
  • One or more of my iPads have been Wi-Fi Only. But I usually buy Wi-Fi+Cellular.

Votes: 38 8.3%
  • My iPads were always given to me and/or I have never bought an iPad.

Votes: 5 1.1%

• Total voters

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Cellular iPad users: how much do you end up spending on your data plan above and beyond what you pay for your phone plan?
Pretty sure that with unlimited data and insurance, it tacks on around $~35. But my plan is a post-paid plan, not a pre-paid one.

Unless you are willing to pay for a monthly cellular connection, I don’t see the point of getting a cellular iPad.

I have not been willing to pay for cellular on my iPad. I already pay that for my iPhone.

You can do rather affordable pay-as-you-go pre-paid plans. Though, if you know it's not about to be a temporary thing, post-paid is a better value.

It's great to get feedback on the various reasons others opt for or against getting cellular iPads to help one's own decision making.

I agree! This is a refreshingly non-toxic thread so far! And it really seems like one of the most subjective iPad questions one can ask, next to 'which model' and 'what color'. :)

Sounds about right! It's a pretty good deal! My phone service with them, on the other hand, is an entirely different matter.
WiFi only iPads for me. I rarely use them outside the home and when I do I tether to my phone..
I think this is what fueled my decision to never get cellular on anything that wasn't an iPad mini a few years back. The last time I had and actively used cellular on anything larger than a mini, it was on a 5th Generation iPad that I bought back when it looked like the iPad mini 4 would be the end of the line (a fear that seems never-ending when it comes to the iPad mini).

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
Back when I bought my M1 iPad Pro, I was using my iPad as my main device, so cellular was absolutely worth it. Now I am using a MacBook Pro most of the time, so I cancelled the cell plan. I still use my iPad heavily when travelling, but I'm overseas and need to hotspot anyway. If I need to hotspot anyway, no point having cellular.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I basically distrust WiFi hot spots in the wild. Cellular may not be totally safe but, with my firewall and other software I feel safer w/ cellular outside my home.
I always use a VPN when connecting to any public WiFi.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Pretty sure that with unlimited data and insurance, it tacks on around $~35. But my plan is a post-paid plan, not a pre-paid one.

Mine’s just $11.24 (Verizon $10 + $1.24 surcharge). No insurance of course. It’s supposed to be $20 but I get a 50% connected device discount on the Do More plan.

You can do rather affordable pay-as-you-go pre-paid plans. Though, if you know it's not about to be a temporary thing, post-paid is a better value.

I’m exploring this option for my dad. He’s at home on wifi most of the time. Alas, when they go on trips, he kills the T-Mobile $10/5GB promo quickly and I have no way to monitor or top off his iPad data remotely.

I recently discovered Tello (TMO MVNO) which offers rollover data if the plan is renewed at least 1 day early. I’m doing $6/2GB every 28 days which should give him 26GB every year.

I think this is what fueled my decision to never get cellular on anything that wasn't an iPad mini a few years back. The last time I had and actively used cellular on anything larger than a mini, it was on a 5th Generation iPad that I bought back when it looked like the iPad mini 4 would be the end of the line (a fear that seems never-ending when it comes to the iPad mini).

I don’t have a monthly plan anymore on my 10+” iPad. However, I still get the cellular model since it’s just super handy to have. Now that iPads have so much performance headroom, I’m content buying heavily discounted high capacity cellular models on clearance from Woot.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
I've only purchased the version with cellular, and only because I want the additional geolocation. I have never bought a cellular plan for the iPad.

Siliconguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2022
The iPad get used at home where there is wifi, or in a motel where there is wifi, or as an ebook reader out camping where there is neither wifi nor cellular.

So cellular brings nothing to the party for me. No, I don't use GPS for anything, so no advantage there either.

Reactions: muzzy996

Poldermodel

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2021
Never had cellular, but next ipad will be. I am planning on using duo-sim. A second sim card in my current plan, free of charge. It won’t allow simultaneous use of the sims, but I will be able to switch between devices. I figure this is superior to hotspotting. I don’t mind my phone being without cellular when using ipad.

Reactions: NoelWalker

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
iPad WiFi. If I need to use it where the is no WiFi then I just use my iPhone mobile data hotspot. Same for my MacBook Air. The mobile data speeds I get are actually faster than my home internet and probably faster than any WiFi i connect to when out and about. My home internet limit is 290Mb/s but on 5G I can get 500-600Mb/s... not that I need it but still good to have.

No point wasting money on a cellular model and plan. I don't even have a cellular Watch.

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
My previous iPad (mini 2, air 2, 12.9 pro 2018) were wifi only. For the next one I’m thinking about a cellular one.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
My current iPad Pro (4th gen 12.9) is my first cellular. I got when I still had booths at conventions, mostly so I could have access to my dropbox and keep my phone delegated for running payments. Now, that I'm semiretired from the con scene, I like bringing my iPad with me when my wife and I go camping so the connectivity is nice.

That said, I'll probably go back to wifi only when I need to upgrade.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
The 12.9” M1 I bought on sale is cellular, the 11” M1 I also bought on sale is Wi-Fi. As I tend to buy everything on closeout (Best Buy and Woot this time) I favor cellular if they have it available. The 12.9” isn’t on an active contract, but it’s there if I want/need it in the future.

Reactions: rui no onna

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
I’ve had three cellular models: iPad 4, iPad Air 2 and iPad Gen 8. For the latter, I bought the cellular version since it was the same price as the WiFi version at the time (it was on sale through T-Mobile). The extra tech was worth it at that point. For my current iPad Air, along with my other previous ones, they didn’t have cell data.

Personally, I prefer the cellular version after having it since you can hop online at anytime. Where I get cutoff, paying the line fee on the plan or prepaid, so this time I went WiFi only and hotspot from my cell iPhone; downfall is can’t use my phone.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The 12.9” M1 I bought on sale is cellular, the 11” M1 I also bought on sale is Wi-Fi. As I tend to buy everything on closeout (Best Buy and Woot this time) I favor cellular if they have it available. The 12.9” isn’t on an active contract, but it’s there if I want/need it in the future.

The nice thing with clearance deals is cellular is often just $50-100 more than the wifi only models.

The large batteries on the bigger iPads also make them better hotspots for laptops and other wifi-only devices. Less worries about your phone running out of juice, too.

Also, phone hotspot may stop working when the phone gets too hot. I’ve had this happen during road trips (hot SoCal).

Reactions: Zdigital2015

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
I can always just use my phone’s hotspot, it’s always with me anyway so why pay the extra premium 🤷‍♂️ I do always buy the cellular watch because if I go for a run without my phone; even without paying for a plan I can contact emergency services if I need to.
There are still reasons, for some people, to have a cellular version of the iPad.

Using the phone's hotspot quickly drains its battery. Speaking as someone who has a cellular iPad but not cellular plan for the iPad, I do actually use the phone's hotspot every now and then when I need my iPad connected to the internet and there's no wifi, but I quickly turn off hotspot once I'm done.

That said, I'm not often in situations where I'm using my iPad and don't have wifi connection. I like the cellular version largely because of its geolocation abilities.

ericthered926

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2017
There are still reasons, for some people, to have a cellular version of the iPad.

Using the phone's hotspot quickly drains its battery. Speaking as someone who has a cellular iPad but not cellular plan for the iPad, I do actually use the phone's hotspot every now and then when I need my iPad connected to the internet and there's no wifi, but I quickly turn off hotspot once I'm done.

That said, I'm not often in situations where I'm using my iPad and don't have wifi connection. I like the cellular version largely because of its geolocation abilities.
I do understand that. It really depends on your use case; I rarely use my ipad outside my home/office. I'd wager most people don't really use gps on their ipads and typically have access to wifi and power as well. It is a nice-to-have, but for myself at least, I'm not away from wifi/outlets frequently enough to justify the extra cost + subscription. My hotspot works great.

Reactions: msackey

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I'd wager most people don't really use gps on their ipads
I am honestly surprised at how many people commenting here have gone with Cellular models strictly for GPS alone.

I can definitely understand wanting to compensate for a lack of Wi-Fi. I definitely own other tablets, all of which are Wi-Fi only; I can definitely tell when I don't have access to Internet on those. Wi-Fi may be ubiquitous; but Wi-Fi you have the access to use and/or WANT to use (for not being insecure in some blaring way) isn't always. If I'm going to a friend's place, Wi-Fi there is common enough. But not every place I've worked has had a Wi-Fi network that I'm allowed to join a personal iPad to.

Pbillman

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2024
I have always purchased iPad’s with both WiFi and Cellular for the GPS functionality. It made it a lot easier to use the iPad for navigation while flying. The alternative was an iPad and an external GPS device.

I don’t recall ever purchasing a cellular plan for the iPad, just use my phone as a hotspot when necessary.

Reactions: msackey

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I have always purchased iPad’s with both WiFi and Cellular for the GPS functionality. It made it a lot easier to use the iPad for navigation while flying. The alternative was an iPad and an external GPS device.

I don’t recall ever purchasing a cellular plan for the iPad, just use my phone as a hotspot when necessary.

I have a Garmin Glo 2 GPS Bluetooth receiver. It works great but it's one more device to carry & charge (with mini-USB cable). I haven't used it since getting the Mini 6 with cellular.

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
Almost all of my iPads have been Wifi only, but my current iPad Pro 12.9" M2 and my previous iPad Air 4 were Cellular.

The first was the iPad Air as an "experiment" and I found that I got a lot of use out of it and when I changed the Pro , I decided to buy it with Cellular, and I don't regret it. When I travel on the train, it is much more convenient to have a connection directly on the device itself than to share data. Now I have an iPad mini to be around the house and this is WiFi only, since I barely take it out of my home.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Always wifi only. I’m very seldom in a situation where I need to use my iPad but don’t have wifi. For the rare occasions when I am, I just create a hotspot with my phone.

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
So far all of my iPads have been wifi only. However, now that my 2018 12.9" IPP is getting glitchy since I dropped it and cracked the screen, I'm seriously considering a cellular IPP as my next purchase, particularly if a consulting gig I became aware of a few weeks ago comes to fruition.

My iPad is used mostly at home, so there's been no real need for cellular most of the time. However, even if the aforementioned consulting gig doesn't materialize, there are parts of the farm that are well away from the house, where it would be handy to have web access on something other than my iPhone. Likewise while traveling with our camper, as decent wifi access can be sometimes hard to find. True, I can use a hotspot, but it uses battery pretty quickly, and my understanding is that using a phone as a hotspot isn't particularly good for the phone's battery health. EDIT: The geolocation capability would be handy as well.

I'm guessing that the convenience alone would be worth the price of admission, for me.

Reactions: outlawarth

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
I am honestly surprised at how many people commenting here have gone with Cellular models strictly for GPS alone.

It depends on desire/needs. For example, if I ever needed to use my iPad to navigate, it can do that. I don't have a cell plan for it, but once it has downloaded maps, it can easily be used to navigate and that's a plus.

If I recall, the difference between a wifi vs. cellular model was about $200? In a sense, that was a small price to pay for the added functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.