Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you buy Wi-Fi+Cellular versions of iPads or Wi-Fi Only?

• I only buy Wi-Fi Only iPads.

Votes: 247 53.8%
  • I only buy Wi-Fi+Cellular iPads.

Votes: 93 20.3%
  • One or more of my iPads have been Wi-Fi+Cellular. But I usually buy Wi-Fi Only.

Votes: 76 16.6%
  • One or more of my iPads have been Wi-Fi Only. But I usually buy Wi-Fi+Cellular.

Votes: 38 8.3%
  • My iPads were always given to me and/or I have never bought an iPad.

Votes: 5 1.1%

• Total voters

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
When I travelled for work I bought cellular. Now that I don't travel for work I go wifi only.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I strongly recommend that if you're going cellular, you do it through the cellular provider that is NOT your iPhone. I often find myself in places where AT&T works but not Verizon, or vice-versa. Having one device of each increases the odds of getting good connectivity in areas without good coverage.

So true. We’ve got AT&T iPhone, Verizon iPad.

Reactions: Devnul0

mtngal

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2015
I strongly recommend that if you're going cellular, you do it through the cellular provider that is NOT your iPhone. I often find myself in places where AT&T works but not Verizon, or vice-versa. Having one device of each increases the odds of getting good connectivity in areas without good coverage.
This applies to me, and the reason why I first bought a cellular iPad with Verizon when my phone is with T-Mobile. I’ve been in many places where T-Mobile was much faster/better than Verizon, and other places where T-Mobile didn’t exist. I’ve also been to places where one provider was more popular than the other and was able to maintain decent speeds when the other slowed down due to congestion.

However, this is a lot more expensive than just adding another line/data plan to your existing cell provider. So it’s not for everyone - it’s for people who travel much of the time.

The funny thing is that what what’s going to get me to buy another cellular iPad again is the location services. When I bought my temporary replacement iPad that’s WiFi only, I didn’t realize how much I depend on the iPad’s weather and navigation features, or realize that they won’t work if the only WiFi network around is a Starlink router.

Reactions: Devnul0

Devnul0

macrumors regular
May 28, 2018
Greater Boston
The funny thing is that what what’s going to get me to buy another cellular iPad again is the location services. When I bought my temporary replacement iPad that’s WiFi only, I didn’t realize how much I depend on the iPad’s weather and navigation features, or realize that they won’t work if the only WiFi network around is a Starlink router.
Excellent point! I had forgotten that one of my historical iPads I got with cellular specifically for the aGPS. Even without cell service, the GPS radio allowed me to use Gaia with downloaded maps on the big screen of the iPad to navigate logging roads through the north woods of Maine.

Reactions: Matz

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
With the sole exception of the first generation 12.9-inch iPad Pro, Apple has sold every single model and configuration of iPad both with Cellular connectivity options and without. I've owned more Wi-Fi models of 9.7 and larger iPads than I have cellular models; but the vast majority of my iPad minis over the years have been cellular. What has been your connectivity preference when buying your iPad(s)?
Used to be phones were small and WiFi was less commonly available so I bought WiFi+Cellular. But now phones are larger and easily provide link access to an iPad if no WiFi is available. The cell radio died on one of my iPads and I found zero loss of utility, so now I buy WiFi only. And the larger phone size obviates much of the value add of a tablet anyway.

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
My only Cellular iPad was a gift, an iPad 4. I never used the cellular part of it, because it was silly expensive to get data plan for it here in Canada then. However, the GPS chip was useful as a large screen mapping device during trips with pre-downloaded maps, the iPhones were tiny then.

All other iPads I've had were Wifi only.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Cellular, always! I keep the mini mounted in my truck for GPS, YT and music ( no CarPlay … thanks Lexus!! ) and hotspotting is a hassle. Plus, I have a free (unlimited) data line from TMobile so that was an added incentive to go cellular.

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
I have bought two iPads for myself: an original iPad Air with I suppose 4g? And an iPad Pro 2020, with LTE. We have a couple others around the house, but I commute far from home for work, and wifi isn’t guaranteed. Having a cellular iPad increases its usefulness exponentially. I did at one point have my phones on att, and my iPad on Verizon, that combo sometimes saved my butt, but sometimes in rural PA you get nothing, neither one.

iBrooklyn

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2021
Stockholm
Wifi+cellular, as i travel a lot its a must, and i always use the ipad as hotspot for the macbook instead of the phone.
find it way more stable.

Elusi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2023
Automatic hotspot has been working fine for me those times where I’ve brought my ipad somewhere. Mostly I see it as an indoor device, and 99% of the time it’s at home.

Also my job covers my cell (private use permitted) but they for sure will not cover any additional SIM fees etc. I don’t want to start paying some new monthly thing.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Used to buy cellular especially when T-Mobile had their free 200MB plan. Then a couple months a year I’d get more. However they stopped that and even the transferring to new iPads so I’ve just done WiFi since. More places now have good WiFi or I get by using my personal hotspot from my iPhone.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I've had a few cellular iPad's. Currently my iPad mini is cellular, but....NEVER use the cellular. I have unlimited data on my iPhone so just tether to that. Never needed cellular so won't be getting again.

weeesss

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2017
I think my olny iPad was the 3 that I purchased with cellular and really never used it. From then on it's only been WiFi and using my phone as a hotspot.

Misuteri

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2018
I see any mobile device as being cellular for a requirement. For long car trips, working remote without having to beg and borrow wi-fi passwords everytime you sit down, cruises where you can’t hotspot, saving the need for VPN, I take my iPad too many places and I can’t imagine a non-cellular version at all.

I have actually unnerved techies at work locations thinking I just sit down and logged in without receiving permissions then they sign in relief when they figure it out.

Even if they put cellular in their laptops I wouldn’t get one at this point. The boot times and fixed keyboard are deal breakers.

Last edited:

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I see any mobile device as being cellular for a requirement. For long car trips, working remote without having to beg and borrow wi-fi passwords everytime you sit down, cruises where you can’t hotspot, saving the need for VPN, I take my iPad too many places and I can’t imagine a non-cellular version at all.
This is exactly how I feel about my cellular iPad mini and how I've felt about every single cellular iPad mini that I've owned. I don't feel that way about the larger ones. Though, the only iPads I've used with cellular that are larger than a mini, I did so out of necessity and not because I wouldn't rather a mini with the capability instead. The larger ones seem to me to be better suited to things like keyboards and not being taken just about everywhere.

Adam Henry

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
since apple only has gps with the cellular ipads, i went with cellular. i use my air as an efb running foreflight. its also connected to my ads-b for traffic and weather.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Cellular, always! I keep the mini mounted in my truck for GPS, YT and music ( no CarPlay … thanks Lexus!! ) and hotspotting is a hassle. Plus, I have a free (unlimited) data line from TMobile so that was an added incentive to go cellular.
How did you get free unlimited cellular for the iPad? I don't recall ever seeing that kind of offer from T-Mobile.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
How did you get free unlimited cellular for the iPad? I don't recall ever seeing that kind of offer from T-Mobile.

That was like a long time ago. Maybe 8-10 years?

I remember because T-Mobile offered like 100-200MB free to non-customers (I availed of this). Meanwhile, they offered free unlimited cellular to their postpaid customers. I think that was around the time they were marketing themselves as the “UnCarrier”.

Reactions: M5RahuL

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
That was like a long time ago. Maybe 8-10 years?

I remember because T-Mobile offered like 100-200MB free to non-customers (I availed of this). Meanwhile, they offered free unlimited cellular to their postpaid customers. I think that was around the time they were marketing themselves as the “UnCarrier”.
Thanks for replying. I will stick with the 5GB / 150 day plan. I am not interested in paying $20 a month for unlimited.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
This was a while back (John Legere days), they offered an option of either a voice/data or tablet line 'On Us'.

Have accumulated 3 free lines (2 voice/data and 1 tablet) over the years but I refuse to let go of my grandfathered 'Simple Choice Unlimited' plan!!

• Love
Reactions: cpatrick08
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.