Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dj95

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2011
I am having no luck with applying the screen protectors for my air - I either get bubbles that won't go or bits of fiber stuck under it. Both are making the screen look horrible and to be honest, makes me enjoy using it less. I'm usually overly protective of my iDevices with cases and screen protectors for each of them but usually there are no bubbles. Do I need a protector for the screen on the air? How scratch resistant are they? Thanks

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I am sure you will get lots of opinions on this, but I hate screen protectors. I do not have them on any of my iPhones or iPads, and do not have scratches. I typically have some type of case/cover for my iPads to avoid scratching in my briefcase, and keep my iPhone in my pocket. I do avoid using them if my hands are too dirty . . . I think screen protectors are like vinyl seat covers--not something I would want to use on a new leather interior.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Just as on any device it's a matter of preference. Please refer to the countless other threads on the topic and decide for yourself.

How scratch resistant are they?
How do you expect it to be quantified? It can scratch. The question, as always, is how willing are you to put up with the scratches? Again, subjective matter.

Maziar

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2010
I've never used an screen protector on the iPads I had(1,3 and now Air) and haven't had a single scratch on the screen.
Some people,however, like it.It's a matter of opinions

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Nothing worse than a screen protector that is crooked or has dust underneath. I feel for you.

I guess it's pretty subjective as to whether you need a screen protector or not. Really comes down to personal preference. I for one am completely careful with my electronics but within 2-3 weeks can always detect minuscule surface scratches on the screen. They don't show by looking straight on but under a light and at an angle they are there. So I always end up with a screen protector - but that's just me. I have family members tell me that they don't use screen protectors and they never get scratches. Well what the real deal is, they never see them. I can see them when held just right but I definitely don't point them out - what you don't see won't hurt you - so to speak. I guess it's up to you - if you really want to be sure of no scratches then keep trying with a screen protector.

There are a few companies out there with free replacements - namely Tech Armor (on Amazon). I went through my first two with both having dust underneath before figuring out my new sweater that I was wearing was the culprit. I requested another set and nailed a perfect install the next time around. Look on YouTube for the steamy bathroom installation technique and also use a tape lint roller to totally clean off any dust and keep some scotch tape around just in case. Good luck.

Daria

macrumors regular
May 31, 2011
Northern California
I'm planning to get this brand on my new iPad Air: http://www.bestskinsever.com/best-s...tectors-cases-covers-shields-films?mode=list&

I have one of their protectors for the screen of my iPhone4 and it's perfect. Though I'll say I had a friend install it for me. :) I watched him do it and it does take care and finesse to get it done. However, the finished product is wonderful and worth the trouble, in my opinion.

And I have a "brand X" on my classic iPod Touch; it's icky, has bubbles which won't resolve, etc. So Ill be sticking with BestSkinsEver.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I have had every iPhone and most of the iPad models and I've never used a screen protector. Never a scratch on any of the screens

New2MacOS

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2008
I always put screen protector on my gadgets for peace of mind. Hence, I have it on my iphone, ipad air, and also my surface pro 2.

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial
A Power Support Anti Glare screen protector has been on every idevice I have ever owned.

In fact my Air is two days old and its killing me waiting for screen protector to arrive.

The fingerprints on the screen drives me bat s*#t crazy.

deluxeshredder

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
If you are careful with your devices and won't mind 1-2 tiny scratches a month, you'll be fine without a screen protector.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm pretty good at applying screen protectors without bubbles, but it can take a while to get it right. The best method for a dry screen application is to use Scotch tape to lift and remove the dust that causes bubbles. Problem is, each time you lift, more dust can get trapped(!!!!). If you have a friend that can apply screen protectors well, ask them if they wouldn't mind doing yours.

I feel much more comfortable with a screen protector, but that's me. ;)

Jasonkrick

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2013
I do not use a screen protector for any of my iPhones or iPads.

The glass is very scratch resistant more than ones knows. And I am very rough with my electronics.

What I do have though is thin protective case for my iPhone and my main use iPad (Air) for I have a very bad habit of dropping them. Therefore. A protective film doesn't do me any good.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
i'm very search for the best ipad air screen protector without lose quality of retina i' be crazy help me:(
http://www.amazon.com/ArmorSuit-MilitaryShield-Protector-Lifetime-Replacements/dp/B00G3J8EDM/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
or tech armor or skinomi
??????

You can't go wrong with Power Support crystal clear or Tech Armor with the free replacements. Additionally if you prefer a glass protector the Bodyguardz Pure is nice. Or I might try the glass iloome if I was going for a thinner glass one. I usually always use Power Support but they were way late coming to the game and I ended up buying Tech Armor and am just as happy with their product and it's much cheaper.

I have the Pure glass on my iPhone and it is great. I dropped my phone and the screen corner hit the ceramic tile floor. The Pure shattered but my screen was fine.

On my iPad I prefer the plastic rather than the glass - not sure why, but I just do.

Last edited:

amrtat71

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2013
khz
You can't go wrong with Power Support crystal clear or Tech Armor with the free replacements. Additionally if you prefer a glass protector the Bodyguardz Pure is nice. Or I might try the glass iloome if I was going for a thinner glass one. I usually always use Power Support but they were way late coming to the game and I ended up buying Tech Armor and am just as happy with their product and it's much cheaper.

excuse me my english not very good finally whats your offer?
in apple one body say ArmorSuit MilitaryShield is the best that don't lose retina quality?

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
excuse me my english not very good finally whats your offer?
in apple one body say ArmorSuit MilitaryShield is the best that don't lose retina quality?

Most of the clear ones should keep the clarity. I've never used ArmorSuit so I can't offer any recommendation for their product. Hopefully some others may share their experience with ArmorSuit. Anybody?

amrtat71

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2013
khz
i'm very search for the best ipad air screen protector without lose quality of retina i' be crazy help me:(
http://www.amazon.com/ArmorSuit-MilitaryShield-Protector-Lifetime-Replacements/dp/B00G3J8EDM/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
or tech armor or skinomi
??????

Most of the clear ones should keep the clarity. I've never used ArmorSuit so I can't offer any recommendation for their product. Hopefully some others may share their experience with ArmorSuit. Anybody?

any body help?:confused:

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
I think the sticky screen protectors on iPads are a waste of money and they get ruined easily-i use a griffin survivor on my ipad and it just happens to have a built in screen protector that doesn't bubble so I'm happy :)

ldburroughs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
I've owned a number of iPads and have tried even more screen protectors. In the end I rip them off and resort to a bare screen. I use a SmartCover on my Air, so the screen is pretty well protected when not in use and tucked away in my bag. That being said, however, I owned one that I bought secondhand with AppleCare that had tiny scratches on the screen. The previous owner, a former Apple employee, just carried it around and didn't really care about protecting it ... at all, I think. It wasn't dropped and there were no dings, but I did notice the small, nearly invisible scratches. What I'm getting at is, they certainly can scratch. Just like anything else, you need to treat them with at least a little care. If you have a cover for when it's not in use, then I see no real reason to get a screen protector. Having used many, I didn't like any.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
I've owned a number of iPads and have tried even more screen protectors. In the end I rip them off and resort to a bare screen. I use a SmartCover on my Air, so the screen is pretty well protected when not in use and tucked away in my bag. That being said, however, I owned one that I bought secondhand with AppleCare that had tiny scratches on the screen. The previous owner, a former Apple employee, just carried it around and didn't really care about protecting it ... at all, I think. It wasn't dropped and there were no dings, but I did notice the small, nearly invisible scratches. What I'm getting at is, they certainly can scratch. Just like anything else, you need to treat them with at least a little care. If you have a cover for when it's not in use, then I see no real reason to get a screen protector. Having used many, I didn't like any.
i never thought of it that way- if u have a smart cover you don't really need a screen protector.

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Everytime I see someone's iPad they claim are scratch-free, they really aren't. They may not be deep gouges, but they typically have tons of those micro-scratches that may be more in the oleo-phobic coating instead of the actual glass, but they're there.

I always put a Zagg HD on my devices. Feels like glass, no impact to clarity, and best of all - peace of mind. I know when I finally take it off, it actually WILL be scratch free. I usually find a few marks on the cover that I can tell would have scratched the iPad if it was naked.

But I have kids so no matter how careful I am with my devices, one of those little buggers always finds a way to get a hold of it.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
If you have owned a iPhone or iPad and used it regularly for any length of time without a protector, you more than likely have scratches. They maybe fine, hard to see, but they are there.

Tech Armor makes great protectors with lifetime warranty, even against installation errors.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
I've started putting anti-glare screen protectors on mine. Yeah, they make the display a bit less sharp and vivid, but holy CRAP is it nice not getting blinded by glare and smudges. I get 'em just for that. The protection is a bonus.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
i never thought of it that way- if u have a smart cover you don't really need a screen protector.
Not true. As always, it only takes grit harder than the screen which can get trapped under the cover. The cover may help to mitigate some or even the majority of scratches but it won't necessarily prevent all scratches. Now, whether that's worth being concerned over is a subjective matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.