Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
If you have owned a iPhone or iPad and used it regularly for any length of time without a protector, you more than likely have scratches. They maybe fine, hard to see, but they are there.

Tech Armor makes great protectors with lifetime warranty, even against installation errors.

Even against "just in case" situation. That's what I do:) I have a bunch of extra packs from them for a bunch of my devices including my iPad air.

cats4jan

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2013
My iPad is three years old - used all the time - and doesn't have any scratches or wear spots despite being free of a screen protector.

Keep your fingernails short and your hands clean - use a cover - and it will be fine. Because I always keep my hands clean, I don't even need to clean my screen very often.

I can't imagine enjoying my photos and videos as much if they were compromised by a stupid sheet of vinyl over my screen.

When I decided to go "naked" - I figured if the screen got scratched, I'd just get a new iPad. A clear screen is that important to me.

As for those who say I have scratches but I just don't notice them - I dare you to find them on my iPad.

Last edited:

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
My iPad is three years old - used all the time - and doesn't have any scratches or wear spots despite being free of a screen protector.

Keep your fingernails short and your hands clean - use a cover - and it will be fine. Because I always keep my hands clean, I don't even need to clean my screen very often.

I can't imagine enjoying my photos and videos as much if they were compromised by a stupid sheet of vinyl over my screen.

When I decided to go "naked" - I figured if the screen got scratched, I'd just get a new iPad. A clear screen is that important to me.

As for those who say I have scratches but I just don't notice them - I dare you to find them on my iPad.

They are there. Clean your screen and go out in bright sunlight and look at a steep angle. There are scratches many times right out of the box, tiny, but scratches none the less.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
I think...

You need a screen protector on your iPad as much as you need a plastic cover on your sofa.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I have a screen protector on mine. When I first got my iPad I used it for about a month without a screen protector. I started to notice what I thought were hairline scratches on the screen when in certain lighting. I've had a screen protector on for about a year. I took it off last week as I wanted to put a new one on. I cleaned the screen. I couldn't see the scratches that I thought I could see were not there. I looked at it under direct light, at different angles but I couldn't see them. I've put a new one on there now. I like to have that peace of mind that having a screen protector gives you. I have long nails so I worry about scratching the screen.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I have a screen protector on mine. When I first got my iPad I used it for about a month without a screen protector. I started to notice what I thought were hairline scratches on the screen when in certain lighting. I've had a screen protector on for about a year. I took it off last week as I wanted to put a new one on. I cleaned the screen. I couldn't see the scratches that I thought I could see were not there. I looked at it under direct light, at different angles but I couldn't see them. I've put a new one on there now. I like to have that peace of mind that having a screen protector gives you. I have long nails so I worry about scratching the screen.

To the best of my understanding, fingernails cannot scratch glass!??

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I always put a screen protector on my iPad's. I don't even think twice. I accidentally dropped things on my screen before and the only damage was to the screen protector. Besides the iPad tends to hold it's value better than most tablets. I gotta think about resale.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.