Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I bought an iPad Pro - should I get a screen protector? I’ll be using the Apple Pencil with it.

Reactions: bondr006

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Need one? Probably not. Should get one? Maybe. I have one on my iPad Air. To me if I'm touching the screen it has a screen protector (Except Apple Watch because IDC about scratches on it)

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
I've been using an Apple Pencil with my iPad Pro without a screen protector for about a year now. No scratches so far.

Reactions: Isamilis

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
I bought an iPad Pro - should I get a screen protector? I’ll be using the Apple Pencil with it.
I do a lot of writing notes and sketching house dimensions on my iPP with the apple Pencil 2. I did not like the Pencil on glass, so I got this and love the texture. Feels like writing on paper.

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
Buy clear plastic if you really want to. Glass protectors are a glare machine on iPad and 0/10 recommended

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
I installed Ambison matte glass screen protectors on both my iPP 11 2021 and my Mini 6 and I’m really liking them better than several brands of matte PET screen protectors that I’ve used over the years. They reduce glare and fingerprints, I like the feel with both my fingertips and the pencil, they don’t give the screen the sparkly effect that PET protectors do, and I think they will hold up longer than the PET protectors.

Reactions: iGeneo and bondr006

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
I installed Ambison matte glass screen protectors on both my iPP 11 2021 and my Mini 6 and I’m really liking them better than several brands of matte PET screen protectors that I’ve used over the years. They reduce glare and fingerprints, I like the feel with both my fingertips and the pencil, they don’t give the screen the sparkly effect that PET protectors do, and I think they will hold up longer than the PET protectors.
Do they sell those on Amazon or do you have a link? Sounds like something I would like to try. Thank you!

• Angry
Reactions: Rocko99991

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I used to put a screen protector on all my mobile devices. I then did an about face and thought they were a waste of money. The screen protector that I took off my 6th Gen iPad, now has a tiny scratch. How it got there I don't know but that iPad had a tempered glass screen protector, day 1. So maybe they do offer protection.

MrSky

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2022
I use screen protector on all my families iPhones and iPads. They are very cheap, might as well.

Also it depends on where you will be using those devices too. You should be safe at home and in the office but if you ever take it to a factory , workshop, autoshop, etc, then you need to be sure your hands are clean before touching the screen or even hold the device, because if a speck of metal or sand/glass gets on the screen or your fingers and you did a swipe,, it can leave a line. If you are using a apple pencil then just double check the tip before using.

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
I use screen protector on all my families iPhones and iPads. They are very cheap, might as well.

Also it depends on where you will be using those devices too. You should be safe at home and in the office but if you ever take it to a factory , workshop, autoshop, etc, then you need to be sure your hands are clean before touching the screen or even hold the device, because if a speck of metal or sand/glass gets on the screen or your fingers and you did a swipe,, it can leave a line. If you are using a apple pencil then just double check the tip before using.
This is valuable advice.
I have scratched my iPad at the workshop a few times.
Tried a protector but the glare and reduction in screen quality were too much even with a clear plastic one.
Try one or two out. If you notice the degradation then ditch it, else live in bliss

scott Lashville

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2021
Try the Gadgetshieldz screen guard because it is good with touch response and it can self-heal the scratches that occur on it. I'm using this protector on my previous iPads for more than 2 years and the scratches disappear within a few minutes. As I use the Apple pencil there is no interference from the screen protector, it is smooth to use!

Last edited:

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I always use screen protectors. Mainly cause I love the feel of a new one and can change them out when they start getting smudgy. I use Manto glass for my phone and Power Support crystal film for my iPad. The Power Support is more expensive but is the best of all that I’ve tried.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
I never used one, iPhone, iPad, Watch. Goes back to iPhone 3GS and iPad 2. Can’t see any scratches when reflecting iPhone 13 Pro, 12.9" M1 iPad screen against light (iPh 8 was too). My iPad 2, 3 screens are still in perfect condition, only the aluminium is a little scuffed.

Meanwhile everyone in my family is using the protectors. They crack like every month. I know because I help to change them. I also know when I gift them an iPhone, they will crack the screen with a protector on (rest in peace forever, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 8).

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
A paperlike or paperlike-like protector is quite neat when writing
Yeah, but XDR colours and contrast will go goodbye. I feel safe enough with Pro in a case (no AppleCare), because I know myself. If anyone has history of constantly dropping things, stepping/sitting on them, putting their iPad in mega jeans pocket along with keys and coins, there’s a teeny tiny possibility a screen protector it might help.

Last edited:
Reactions: JahBoolean

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I never used one, iPhone, iPad, Watch. Goes back to iPhone 3GS and iPad 2. Can’t see any scratches when reflecting iPhone 13 Pro, 12.9" M1 iPad screen against light (iPh 8 was too). My iPad 2, 3 screens are still in perfect condition, only the aluminium is a little scuffed.

Meanwhile everyone in my family is using the protectors. They crack like every month. I know because I help to change them. I also know when I gift them an iPhone, they will crack the screen with a protector on (rest in peace forever, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 8).
I use case for my iPhone, iPad and MacBook. But I avoid using screen protector. It deteriorated the screen quality and in the end, my experience using iPad.

Reactions: slplss

Propine

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2020
I use Apple Smart Folio, so when I carry the tablet around it’s screen is protected unlike iPhone screen that is lying in a pocket with keys and what not. So I am leaning towards no screen protector for iPad if you have a case that is protecting the front. You are not putting a protector on a MacBook, do you?

Theozz

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2015
France
I use Apple Smart Folio, so when I carry the tablet around it’s screen is protected unlike iPhone screen that is lying in a pocket with keys and what not. So I am leaning towards no screen protector for iPad if you have a case that is protecting the front. You are not putting a protector on a MacBook, do you?
You don't touch a MacBook screen as much as an iPad.

I'd be sad if dust or dirt scratched my screen while I draw with my Apple Pencil

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
You don't touch a MacBook screen as much as an iPad.

I'd be sad if dust or dirt scratched my screen while I draw with my Apple Pencil
I have had the Pencil drag twice on my old iPad. I’m pretty sure the drags would have caused scratches if I didn’t have a protector on it.

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
After Lots of replaced devices and protectors my opinion is clear:
Use no protector till you’re under insurance
get your device changed
use a protector on iPhone bit not on iPad

Diablo360

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
I use a hard shell case that has a built in screen protector. Saved me from many drops!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.