Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I dont know about you but I hate it when I am forced to use a non apple browser on the Mac such as Chrome or Firefox. Some websites don't work properly with Safari and in these situations I need to use one. I also hate using non apple based email clients and much prefer using apple Mail. MS outlook does have its advantages but in reality it's a better product on Windows. You?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I dont know about you but I hate it when I am forced to use a non apple browser on the Mac such as Chrome or Firefox. Some websites don't work properly with Safari and in these situations I need to use one. I also hate using non apple based email clients and much prefer using apple Mail. MS outlook does have its advantages but in reality it's a better product on Windows. You?
I heavily use Chrome and Edge on all of my devices (Apple and non-Apple). They provide great functionality and cross-platform capabilities that make my online workflows seamless regardless of what device I'm using it.

If I didn't use chromebooks in the mix of devices, then Edge would be my sole and primary browser.

But Chromium-based browsers aren't for everyone. It DOES require a little knowledge of how those browsers work in order to keep them performing well and not be resource hogs.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I heavily use Chrome and Edge on all of my devices (Apple and non-Apple). They provide great functionality and cross-platform capabilities that make my online workflows seamless regardless of what device I'm using it.

If I didn't use chromebooks in the mix of devices, then Edge would be my sole and primary browser.

But Chromium-based browsers aren't for everyone. It DOES require a little knowledge of how those browsers work in order to keep them performing well and not be resource hogs.
Chromebooks? Are those any good compared to Windows? The tech guy at my church hates Apple and has chromebooks and Windows devices at the church.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Chromebooks? Are those any good compared to Windows?
It depends. Chromebooks are specialized computers. They are primarily for online workflows though over the years they've been expanded to be functional even when offline. In contrast, Windows is an all-encompassing general purpose operating system. Functionally speaking, a Windows system can do everything that a Chromebook does, but the opposite is not true.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
I do. I use Edge when I want automatic translation of pages to english. This way you can easily participate in foreign language forums.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I only use safari on my Mac. However, on my kids chromebook I use chrome and on my work windows laptop I use chrome and edge.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I use Safari and Firefox on my Macs and Firefox on my PC so that my profile is synced, I basically only use Firefox on the Mac if I know that I will be using my PC for whatever I am doing also so that way favorites and whatnot are synced together.

BeerDrinkerDan

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2022
On my MacBook Pro I use Safari for all my work stuf (Confluence/Jira, data websites like ACS or AHRF, SharePoint) and Firefox for all my non-work stuff (futzing around when I should be working).

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
On the Mac side, I always preferred and used Safari. I prefer the UI (except the bookmarks pane), and I can't say I have that many problems with it, except the iCloud Keychain that worked half of the time in 2020-2021-2022 for creating new accounts (which lead me to creating accounts with passwords I wouldn't even know). It seems mostly fixed now.

On iOS, WebKit has been crashing/reloading pages a lot in the last 2 years.
But then again, every 3rd-party browser uses WebKit, so switching is no help. I kind of have to stick with Safari. The UI is perfect for me, but the engine is completely buggy.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
I almost never use Safari, since it doesn't support ordinary extensions, or profiles, I use Chrome instead. You are right that some websites don't work properly with Safari, and that is really annoying. I honestly can't understand the allurement with Safari other than that it is Apple's own creation. I've tested Orion, which is built upon WebKit, but it is still beta and therefore limited. I use Apple Mail, though.

Last edited:

Thisismattwade

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2020
I use Chrome, Edge, and Safari across all my (non-)Apple devices. I know your question was specifically about Macs, so I can confirm using all three on our (base) M1 MBA. It depends on what work/personal stuff I’m doing. I like that I can have my Chrome profile on my wife’s Mac user and if she needs one of my passwords she can just use my Chrome.

We’ve never had any resource issues or slowing down using any or all of those three at once. I’m the epitome of a user for whom the (base) MBA was designed, though. :) (We do have two users on it, signed in with fast user switching enabled. Still never have any issues.)

In this space choice is a great thing, especially with some of the neat AI stuff happening in the near future. (I’m looking suspiciously at you, Siri.)

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
It depends. Chromebooks are specialized computers. They are primarily for online workflows though over the years they've been expanded to be functional even when offline. In contrast, Windows is an all-encompassing general purpose operating system. Functionally speaking, a Windows system can do everything that a Chromebook does, but the opposite is not true.
Excellent

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
Safari for some sites, Firefox for others. I have to use Chrome for work on my employer-supplied MBP. But I don't do any personal browsing on my work machine.

Reactions: jwolf6589

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
So your use of a third party browser should be in the past too.
And hopefully part of the job listed fixing their website.
I keep them around just for rare use. Although Firefox updates itself like everyday, and Google Chrome for some reason is not getting the latest update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.