Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Junior117

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Toronto, Canada
The only time I use Chrome and Firefox is for testing websites. Otherwise, I prefer using Safari over anything else. I prefer the ecosystem and I like how each website has a separate process in Activity Monitor. I use iCloud Keychain, but it wouldn't be enough of a reason to use Safari.

Reactions: jwolf6589

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
I used Safari briefly when I switched to Mac in 2006, and it didn't do the job for me. I gave it another shot when I bought my M1 Mini in 2020 and found it to be a much better browser than before, so I've stuck with it, even though it doesn't play nice with every site. I use Edge on my XPS 15, and find it to be a good browser, though it took some patience to kill all the crap you install with it (the shopping notifications being the worst).

As far as liking to use non-Apple browsers on the Mac (per the original question)? I don't really mind. I use the tool that will get the job done. Before 2020, that was Chrome.

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
No, we don't, but considering the sad state in which many of the stock apps are, we have to unfortunately.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Safari's been my primary browser since the public beta, and I have no other browsers installed. If I find a site that doesn't work properly then I hit Back and pick a different site.
Yeah. I use Safari 99% of the time but if, say, the DMV's website doesn't play nicely with Safari, I can't just walk away and be like "suck it, DMV, I'm not renewing my car registration until you fix your website!"

So, I keep Chrome on hand as a backup -- but I never sign into it with my Google account and I quit out of it as soon as I'm done.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Yeah. I use Safari 99% of the time but if, say, the DMV's website doesn't play nicely with Safari, I can't just walk away and be like "suck it, DMV, I'm not renewing my car registration until you fix your website!"
I've never run into that situation. The only sites I've had trouble with are ones where they've gone to great lengths to be "strange" (e.g. sometimes people share stuff on Mega, where the file downloads are done with some weird JavaScript so as to encrypt them end-to-end). I've yet to find a "normal" site that's broken in any meaningful way. Yes, there can be the odd glitch, but nothing that stops me from actually using the site.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I've never run into that situation. The only sites I've had trouble with are ones where they've gone to great lengths to be "strange" (e.g. sometimes people share stuff on Mega, where the file downloads are done with some weird JavaScript so as to encrypt them end-to-end). I've yet to find a "normal" site that's broken in any meaningful way. Yes, there can be the odd glitch, but nothing that stops me from actually using the site.
I find that working with Google apps (Sheets, especially) has some issues with Safari. There's a right-click menu that comes up in Chrome that often doesn't work in Safari.

I also have to use a complex web app called Workamajig at my work, and while it works ok for 99% of things, there are occasional issues that force me to open Chrome. I'm sure it's a glitch on their end, but I can't just opt out of using it.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I find that working with Google apps (Sheets, especially) has some issues with Safari. There's a right-click menu that comes up in Chrome that often doesn't work in Safari.

I also have to use a complex web app called Workamajig at my work, and while it works ok for 99% of things, there are occasional issues that force me to open Chrome. I'm sure it's a glitch on their end, but I can't just opt out of using it.
It's good to hear of legitimate issues. I'm not familiar with Sheets; I tend to use desktop apps (e.g. Excel) so haven't run into that problem myself. And I've never even heard of Workamajig but I trust you :)

If I may ask, how long have you been using the Web? We got it at home in 1996 so I went through the IE/Netscape wars and definitely favour using local apps instead of browser-based ones, so it's quite possible that my usage - using "sites" instead of "apps" - is causing me to see fewer issues compared with people who were always in the "Web app world".

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
You stop yourself, you said so in post #27.
Let me clarify that. In my first post I meant that occasionally I come across a site that's completely broken (e.g. loads to a blank page). As that's inevitably a site that I've just found through a search, I hit Back and pick a different site. I don't open up another browser to figure out whether it's a Safari issue, or just a broken site.

For my second post, the site mostly works and almost accomplishes what it needs to do. Again, I don't test with another browser. I just either stick with it and proceed through it even if it looks ugly. If it's completely broken and unusable then I'd abandon it.

I suppose I may have contradicted myself a little :)

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
I'm not interested in fighting with Safari's quirks just so I can carry a flag for Apple. So, I use Chrome. It works with the sites I want to use, supports the web apps I want to use, and has the full complement of extensions I want to use.

I'm never, ever going to let "the ecosystem" dictate what software I use. Right tool for the job, and all that. But, that's me. The nice thing about the wealth of browsers available is everyone gets to use what works best for them, including Safari.

biffuz

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2016
I use Firefox everywhere. I hate how Chrome is full of Google's stuff, takes up a lot of memory, and closes sites in background. Also, we need to support alternatives.

bag99001

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2015
If I could have multiple profiles on Safari, I'd stick with it. I need to use Chrome at work otherwise.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
I use Firefox everywhere. I hate how Chrome is full of Google's stuff, takes up a lot of memory, and closes sites in background. Also, we need to support alternatives.
Google supports Mozilla (thereby Firefox) with half a billion $$ each year. In return they get to be the default search engine.

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
I don't understand why people hate themselves enough to use Chrome. I use Safari whenever possible, Firefox when something I need doesn't play nice with Safari. Firefox is bad enough with RAM that I mostly avoid it, but it's amazingly lightweight compared to the monstrosity that is Chrome.

Siliconguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2022
Safari is the best damn web browser offering incredible features and best-in-class privacy and security features.

Safari lacks anything like Cookie auto-delete on Firefox. Firefox plus Privacy Badger matches Safari's anti-tracking ability. Firefox is still current on Sierra unlike Safari which Apple has dumped (along with all other security updates) long ago.

So Safari is fine on up to date machines, but as soon as Apple loses interest in an OS version Safari can't be used on a machine that actually has personal data on it.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Safari, Firefox and if forced to use chrome. Chrome is resource and battery hog. The tracking and snooping by google is just the cherry on top. I can’t wait for AI bots like chat GPT to crush the google ad tracking, selling user information crap.

innominato5090

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2009
Features aside (Arc is such a breath of fresh air, why would I use anything else), Safari has gotten super buggy lately. After 10+ tabs, I start seeing frequent page reloads, stutters, etc.

I don't know if it is because a buggy extension or something else, but it is not the kind of issue that should happen on a modern browser (I've never had such issues with Chromium browsers or Firefox). I'll take stability over any battery life hit.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Features aside (Arc is such a breath of fresh air, why would I use anything else), Safari has gotten super buggy lately. After 10+ tabs, I start seeing frequent page reloads, stutters, etc.

I don't know if it is because a buggy extension or something else, but it is not the kind of issue that should happen on a modern browser (I've never had such issues with Chromium browsers or Firefox). I'll take stability over any battery life hit.
I have 66 tabs open on safari, I don’t see issues or stuttering or reloads.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I hate having to open Chrome for the odd site that won't work right in Safari. My Amcrest security cameras don't work right in Safari.

Chrome works great, but I use Safari for 99% of my browsing because I trust Apple more than I trust Google, and also because everything syncs and works really well across my Mac and iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.