Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
But Chromium-based browsers aren't for everyone. It DOES require a little knowledge of how those browsers work in order to keep them performing well and not be resource hogs.

Please educate me on how to make it less of a resource hog!

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
Chromebooks? Are those any good compared to Windows? The tech guy at my church hates Apple and has chromebooks and Windows devices at the church.
Not really. I view them as school-endorsed paperweights... when browsing 1 tab is sluggish, it is not worth your time.

bag99001

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2015
Not really. I view them as school-endorsed paperweights... when browsing 1 tab is sluggish, it is not worth your time.
As an educator, I agree. I've dealt with great school IT folks, and poor-quality IT folks. The great ones understand not only the limitations of even higher end Chromebooks, but also the speed issues of the low-end ones they purchase. The poor-quality iT folks think a browser and lowest price - and easiest management (not user functionality) is all that matters, the device is insignificant, and speed factors aren't a consideration.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I dont know about you but I hate it when I am forced to use a non apple browser on the Mac such as Chrome or Firefox. Some websites don't work properly with Safari and in these situations I need to use one. I also hate using non apple based email clients and much prefer using apple Mail. MS outlook does have its advantages but in reality it's a better product on Windows. You?

Well seeing as I'm a big fan of FOSS, of course I prefer non Apple browsers. Firefox is better than Safari in everyway and I wish I could use it's engine on my iPhone but can't because of the webkit restrictions

Hell on my Mac I started using Orion now and even it in beta is still miles better than Safari. The fact a third party browser is a better webkit browser than Apple's, that's bad.

whitby

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Austin, TX
I have a mix of Windows and Apple machines so I need (or more correctly it is more convenient) to use a browser that works on all machines and syncs. bookmarks and history. Safari, although it is by far the best on the Mac platform cannot fulfill that function. I used to use Chrome, but moved to Edge since it is now a pretty decent browser. Chrome was a resource hog and I hate all things Google (sorry, this is emotional but a company that lives from advertising is not a real company, they add no value and are parasites in my opinion, rant over 😂). My search engine is Duck Duck Go (which uses Bing I believe as the basic search engine) and works on all browsers.

Reactions: Kokko78

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
It's good to hear of legitimate issues. I'm not familiar with Sheets; I tend to use desktop apps (e.g. Excel) so haven't run into that problem myself. And I've never even heard of Workamajig but I trust you :)

If I may ask, how long have you been using the Web? We got it at home in 1996 so I went through the IE/Netscape wars and definitely favour using local apps instead of browser-based ones, so it's quite possible that my usage - using "sites" instead of "apps" - is causing me to see fewer issues compared with people who were always in the "Web app world".
I've been using the Web since... maybe 1999? Long enough to very much prefer proper Mac apps to stuff embedded in a browser. Given the choice I'd prefer to work in Numbers instead of Google Sheets, and Pages instead of Google Docs -- but at work, if everyone on my team is editing a Google Doc, I can't well opt out of it.

1800AirTAG

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2014
To be clear I prefer safari but I’m100% chrome on Mac because of the extensions alone. The fact that you need the App Store for Safari extensions is unbearable to me, if they even exist for safari.

Reactions: cateye

BobRey77

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2021
I only use Safari and have recently noticed it won't reliably play video on Twitter. This is annoying and it's only a recent problem, possibly since Ventura. I don't know if it's a Safari problem or something to do with how Twitter handles video.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I wouldn't (and don't) use Chrome.

I DO use:
- Orion (uses Apple's webkit, and is "most like" the Safari user experience)
- Brave
- Dissenter
- Tor
- iCab
- Waterfox

Which one I use depends on what I'm doing.
"The right tool for the job..."

blw777

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2022
My world is more polyglot than most, I guess.

On my Macbook, I use Firefox mostly, doped up to block ads/trackers/etc. I have some other extensions loaded into it. I use Safari on the Macs without the additional stuff because natively most things seem to work. (I realize that's the opposite of the way the largest sample of the world works.)

On my work MacBook, we're required to use Chrome, so guess what I use there?

On my iPhone and iPad, I use DuckDuckGo as the primary browser. I have Safari doped up to block ads, reject nearly all cookies, etc, so that's where things often break. I also have Firefox on the iPhone, and it does get used sometimes.

Edge? What's Edge? ;) This is a Microsoft-free site.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Well seeing as I'm a big fan of FOSS, of course I prefer non Apple browsers. Firefox is better than Safari in everyway and I wish I could use it's engine on my iPhone but can't because of the webkit restrictions

Hell on my Mac I started using Orion now and even it in beta is still miles better than Safari. The fact a third party browser is a better webkit browser than Apple's, that's bad.
Safari for Mac seems to have issues with Facebook and some other sites as it gives me a out of memory errror.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
I have never found a website that did not work in Safari Technology Preview. Not saying there aren't any, but I would view them as sketchy and stay away from them, either they purposely are not compatible, or just plain crappy coding. There were some that required certain browsers, but that was a long time ago, haven't come across one in a long time now

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I have never found a website that did not work in Safari Technology Preview. Not saying there aren't any, but I would view them as sketchy and stay away from them, either they purposely are not compatible, or just plain crappy coding. There were some that required certain browsers, but that was a long time ago, haven't come across one in a long time now
Yes I remember the days when certain websites only worked in IE for Windows.

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Brave is a good browser, its based on Chrome but is more secure and private, having all the "ET phone home" etc. code stripped out or blocked off. Personally I don't like the way Safari operates, the usability of Chrome-based browsers is more functional for me, whilst Safari has some irksome niggles that I can't get into right now due to sleepiness. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.