Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
Absolutely not. The only official bands I have came with my 3 watches. Oh I do have one official band that I bought. That band was the Unity sport band. No way  is getting $50 from me every time there’s a band I like. And they’ll never get $100 for those braided sport loops. I have 30 bands. That would’ve cost me approximately $1721.

My favorite band is the Chalk Pink solo loop band that I got with my S8. My favorite bands are the Pride bands because they can go with so many outfits.

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
If an AliExpress seller could sell me these and still make a profit, just imagine the profit margin Apple has when selling them for $50 each.

Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 09.27.36.png

My favourite band is the Hyper-Crimson/Neptune-Green sport loop. Looks great with my green-bodied AW S7, almost like tartan.

s-l1600-1.jpg

johnhackworth

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
UK
I have 3 Apple straps for my Ultra 2. I'm not opposed to third-party straps - just don't particularly like any of the third-party designs which I've seen.

I *am* opposed to cheap knockoffs of Apple straps - i.e. the straight up copies of the Apple straps. Would never buy those.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Havent bought any! lol
Still rocking the original black strap that came with my S7 watch!

Reactions: Basic75

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
Yes, I only use official Apple Watch straps because I only use the one that came with the Watch. And because there is no way knowing which 3rd party straps are not just cheap garbage, at least on Amazon.

Reactions: Saturn007

bricktop_at

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2017
I prefer quality and therefore I buy genuine Apple bands. I tried quite some knockoffs and they absolutely suck in comparison.
I guess Nomad also is worth the money but that‘s about it for me - I prefer Apple though.

Plus, it’s kind of strange, wearing an 800$ watch and then cheap out on the accessories, for me that’s watering down the whole experience.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Over the years, I have purchased a few bands via Amazon, Clockwork Synergy, Nomad, and a few other websites. However, after a few of them had the connection part to the watch (AWU1) starting to slip (coating on connection seemed to come off), I decided to only use Apple official watch bands.

When I purchased my AWU1, I only used my Apple Watch bands from my AW6. At the start of this year, as I was cleaning out drawers (as you do, switching years, LOL) I decided to try the band that came with my AWU1. I've been using it ever since. To add, lately, probably as I am getting older, I keep thinking, why do I need multiple bands? Why do I need so much 'stuff' in general. Thus, trying a different approach to things...

Aggamemnon

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2005
Bath
I have tried third party straps but they've all been naff in some way, including a catastrophic failure where I was lucky to be on a carpeted floor as the strap disintegrated and fell off my wrist.

First party only (Apple or Hermès) since then.

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
Bad bands do exist but there are good knock offs you just have to buy from the good stores. Read the reviews. Don’t buy the ones that only cost a $1. I also have bands that were made for me. They are a single strap like the solo loops but made from elastic with meta lugs that I got from Etsy. I got these prior to the existence of the solo loops. These were still a better investment than $50.

lanceuppercut47

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2013
I have no issues with 3rd party bands, I know it's usually 90% of the quality at about 5% of the price. Generally I'd prefer 1st party bands but know that they are so much more expensive than knock offs. It's not entirely about the price for me, functionality is equally as important.

For example, I have a knock off braided solo loop, the reason why I don't want an Apple one is the knock off one has an adjustable loop/buckle. If Apple made a adjustable BSL I wouldn't have qualms getting that.

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
I only buy official straps.

I'm sure there are many nice, 3rd party straps, but I don't buy them.

How about you, and what is your favourite one, if you do buy other straps?
I do too. To me, the official straps have better quality. I bought once non official and regretted how low quality it was. However, others might have different experiences and preferences. Keep calm and be happy with your choices. 😊 Life is too short to be unhappy on anything. 😊

SusieS

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2018
I have lots of third-party sport loops…some are not great (good nylon fabric but badly painted lugs) but some are excellent for the price. I haven’t had any that broke or were insecure. Most are pretty accurate in color to the real thing, one wasn’t even close. I use the ugly ones for exercise. The third party bands are also a bit longer than OEM ones, so when closed the end piece is at the side of my wrist and not the underside, and seems to snag on things less.

Reactions: Saturn007 and JBaby

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
I have no issues with 3rd party bands, I know it's usually 90% of the quality at about 5% of the price. Generally I'd prefer 1st party bands but know that they are so much more expensive than knock offs. It's not entirely about the price for me, functionality is equally as important.

For example, I have a knock off braided solo loop, the reason why I don't want an Apple one is the knock off one has an adjustable loop/buckle. If Apple made a adjustable BSL I wouldn't have qualms getting that.

Yes! I can totally agree with this. Wanting better functionality is why I had some band’s custom made for me.

The funny thing is the only bad band I’ve ever had was the 2020 Pride sport band. One of the ends wouldn’t click into any of the 5 watches that were in my house at the time.  wanted me to send my brand new watch back just to replace the band. Ridiculous. There was nothing wrong with the watch. I ended up buying the band on Amazon and issuing a return. I sent in the broken band.

I’ve never had any issues with the bands I’ve gotten from AliExpress or Etsy. My first watch was a S5. I’m still using the AliExpress bands from that generation.

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
I only buy official 99% of the time but do own two Nomad straps bought a fair while back. A Lunar Grey silicone and a graphite coloured metal strap.

Apples fit properly, the amount of times I see a 3rd party strap on the 'Show Off Your Apple Watch' and the lugs are sticking out one side or the other or both! They seem to rarely get it right.

lanceuppercut47

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2013
Yes! I can totally agree with this. Wanting better functionality is why I had some band’s custom made for me.

The funny thing is the only bad band I’ve ever had was the 2020 Pride sport band. One of the ends wouldn’t click into any of the 5 watches that were in my house at the time.  wanted me to send my brand new watch back just to replace the band. Ridiculous. There was nothing wrong with the watch. I ended up buying the band on Amazon and issuing a return. I sent in the broken band.

I’ve never had any issues with the bands I’ve gotten from AliExpress or Etsy. My first watch was a S5. I’m still using the AliExpress bands from that generation.
I got my U2 with a trail loop but didn't like it, I was afraid that I'd have to refund the whole thing but luckily the store person let me swap out just the band.

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
I got my U2 with a trail loop but didn't like it, I was afraid that I'd have to refund the whole thing but luckily the store person let me swap out just the band.

That’s amazing! I wish I lived close to a store, but it wouldn’t have even mattered because this happened in 2020 and no one was going to the store then. But I still think  should’ve just replaced the band. Why exchange the entire watch? It makes no sense.

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012

I have a bunch of non-Apple straps, but besides the Nomad one (which is excellent) they all ended up in a drawer. In my opinion the Apple straps are the best, with the link bracelet being an absolute stunner. Why Apple doesn’t produce a titanium or charcoal version of that one is beyond me… I wants it 🤩

Last edited:

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
The only time I buy an Apple strap is when I select the one I want included with a new AW. I find Apple's prices completely absurd and wouldn't pay half, or even a third, for an "official" band. I mostly trawl AliExpress and eBay looking for the most precise knockoffs. I've bought a couple dozen that way over the years and all have lasted for extended use with no quality concerns. The only time I've had a band fail was an original Apple Sport band that came with my AW3. Split like the cheap silicone with a 1000% markup that they are.

My latest conquest was looking for a perfect replica of Nomad's very nice looking but hilariously overpriced bands. I have three of those, at $7 a piece, on the way for review.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
I would never buy official. The prices are beyond absurd for unimpressive product.. Especially selling stainless steel for hundreds of dollars when ya can get em for $20 on amazon. It’s bad enough they charge an insane premium for the SS watch itself. I have $20 stainless bands and $10 silicon bands and they’re just as good if not better than apples. Apples mustn’t even be so great because the silicon Nike band from my series 5 barely fits my series 9. I have to like jam it in. I also love cuff style bands so i got a really nice custom leather cuff with stainless steel accents from rockstarleatherworks.com that has carried me from my series 2 til now. I also love Tefecas ultra wide nylon bands as i think they look so much nicer than the usual tapered Apple Watch bands .

michaelk7

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2008
Texas

circatee

"Over the years, I have purchased a few bands via Amazon, Clockwork Synergy, Nomad, and a few other websites. However, after a few of them had the connection part to the watch (AWU1) starting to slip (coating on connection seemed to come off), I decided to only use Apple official watch bands."

I was going to order a band from https://bandwerk.com/ this week to have a different band. Do you feel the connection would not function well over time? Just curious after I noticed your post on this issue. This will be my first strap purchase other than the original. Would anyone have purchased a Bandwerk strap?

Thank you for any replies regarding this issue as I am a new Ultra II owner. Facing difficulties later after spending this much would be a detriment. Purchased one for my wife a few years ago and she has enjoyed her watch tremendously.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom

No, I may be mad, but I'm not crazy.

I have one (1) Apple strap. A rubber Ocean band in Blue. Never wear it.

Do yourself a favour and take a look at others… you'd be surprised by the variety and quality.

OTOH, if you have the cash to burn… why not?

Me? I prefer to spread the cost and have access to variety. 🙂

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.