Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Clark

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2013
Canada
Nope a few third party Amazon ones that have been awesome. There are a lot of bad ones too, just do your homework and you can save a good amount of money.

Reactions: JBaby

zachz

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
90% of the time, yes.

I have the brown sport band that came with my gold S1, the black that came with my S4, and the Midnight Sport Loop that came with my S9.

I also regrettably purchased an orange Sport Band (not sure the year or actual colour name, was around 2018) that I never use.

My current Sport Loop is the first SL I’ve used, and I much prefer it over the Sport Band since it’s much comfort and doesn’t irritate my skin/cause minor rashes when I sweat.

I’ve tried knockoff Sport Bands when I had my S0 and S1, but the quality isn’t good.

The only third party band I use is a Moby Fox Yellow Submarine band which I alternate with my Sport Loop - quality is top notch.

Lloigorr

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2021
Germany
I bought 3 cheap unofficial straps last week on Amazon. Quality isn‘t there, but a nylon strap for €6 doesn‘t have to be perfect IMO. You don‘t wanna scratch your expensive original straps working at your car.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
I prefer quality and therefore I buy genuine Apple bands. I tried quite some knockoffs and they absolutely suck in comparison.
I guess Nomad also is worth the money but that‘s about it for me - I prefer Apple though.

Plus, it’s kind of strange, wearing an 800$ watch and then cheap out on the accessories, for me that’s watering down the whole experience.
I‘ve bought some $20 straps that felt of a higher quality than a $99 Apple strap.

I’m not getting fooled by assuming Apple’s high strap prices equate to higher quality. :)

bricktop_at

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2017
I‘ve bought some $20 straps that felt of a higher quality than a $99 Apple strap.

I’m not getting fooled by assuming Apple’s high strap prices equate to higher quality. :)
If you think I judge just by their pricing, you‘re wrong 😉

If you or anyone else doesn’t want to buy the original bands, hey that’s perfectly OK and it‘s also perfectly fine if you don’t agree with my approach of getting myself the Apple ones.

Best example for me are their (Apple's) iPhone cases, the quality took quite a dive over the last couple of years and therefore I don’t buy them anymore. I found a small german company which makes excellent leather cases with MagSafe support that are actually worth their price…. so my money goes there instead.

Last edited:

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I only have four bands, and three are Apple (two acquired with different Apple Watches and the third, a Celestial Teal Nike Sport Band, a present one year). The 4th is a Shinola leather band, and it's probably the best one.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
No, but I have some. I had the first leather loop, and the quality was - like most of Apple's "leather" products - very poor. But then, it was expensive, even more so when you consider the quality.

They are better than the cheapest knockoffs, but often, bands for half the price have better quality. Having said that, I usually buy bands for the looks, not the quality.

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
Apple uses fluoroelastomer sports straps, while virtually all 3rd party bands are silicon & plastic. That alone is enough reason enough to stick to the official straps. All 3rd party silicon straps get nasty with time, and don’t feel anywhere as smooth on your wrist. It’s night and day.

But Apple could definitely use some better color options. They’re all kinda…boring.

You are correct about the sport bands, but  also makes solo loops and those bands are silicone. I only buy sport bands from  because fluoroelastomer is just better. But I won’t pay $50 for silicone. My 3rd party solo loops aren’t nasty. They aren’t even showing signs of wear and I wear them the most.

Reactions: MisterSavage

sifpilsen

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Nomad has been a pleasant surprise. The leather is very nice, the the clasp can be a tad big. Nomad titanium band fails to adjust perfectly, might sell it.

Did get some third party Ebay and the like, they all had quality issues, rust and failing locks or sports bands.

The only I have gotten compliments for, is the old original Apple steel bracelet. It pairs beautifully with my Ultra 1.

Lee_Bo

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2017
The only official watch bands I own are the ones that came with my watches. I’ve used 3rd party bands for years with no problems. They all click in secure and have no wiggle nor have any of them ever failed.

Now, if Apple made a band I liked, I’d probably buy one. But all my $15-$20 bands work just fine.

RinkDinkus

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2022
Instagram: maxzeuner
I have tried to stick to only Apple branded watch bands from here on out. I had a Milanese loop that was silver that I bought for $20 at Best Buy for my S1 back in 2016 and within a few months the metal was rubbed bare on it from the magnetic clasp. Boo.

Then I got a magnetic black leather loop from Target when I had my S3 in 2019 and within a year that started to crack on the sides. Also not great.

With my S8, I bought it with the gold Milanese loop and I have never had any issues. I also bought a black Nike sport loop for it and the pride 2023 band for it since the other band I had was a Braxley Band; the sizing was weird and it’s now since stretched out making it kind of useless.
I think there might be something wrong with the material the silicone is made out of as it begins to irritate my skin after a few days. My wife also has the same issue and she can’t do the silicone either. Anyone else have this issue?

I think my next band might be either a woven sport loop or the braided solo loop just to avoid silicone all together.

tridley68

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2014
No the only Apple watch strap I have is what came with my ultra 2 I purchase the 3rd party bands because I like them and they are much cheaper allowing me to have a greater selection of bands to swap out.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
If you think I judge just by their pricing, you‘re wrong 😉

If you or anyone else doesn’t want to buy the original bands, hey that’s perfectly OK and it‘s also perfectly fine if you don’t agree with my approach of getting myself the Apple ones.

Best example for me are their (Apple's) iPhone cases, the quality took quite a dive over the last couple of years and therefore I don’t buy them anymore. I found a small german company which makes excellent leather cases with MagSafe support that are actually worth their price…. so my money goes there instead.

That sounds good! I was just "taking issue" with this comment:

Plus, it’s kind of strange, wearing an 800$ watch and then cheap out on the accessories, for me that’s watering down the whole experience.

I couldn't help but raise an eyebrow since it sounded like it was overlooking the fact that many quality band options exist at low prices... I read your comment to suggest that one should pay up $$ for a band merely because the watch was a $$ spendy item...that $$ must be spent on a band to ensure it's of a certain high quality.

If you were specifically pointing to choosing & using bands that were undoubtedly cheap in quality, regardless of Apple or other brands, then I do agree.

I believe there are many sub-$20 options that are "cheap" in cost but by no means cheap in quality and function and overall value to the purchaser. The $20 metal band I bought from Amazon last month feels no different after 1 month's wear than the band that came with an Omega watch I owned for a few years.

On the other hand, the Nike-type band that came with my AW8 started giving me a rash on the inside of my wrist after 1+ year, I think where the metal circle/clip part is. That was a major disappointment and strange that it surfaced after a year. Can't say I think the Apple band is "cheap" but we'll see if this $20 all-metal band holds up and gives no rash...so far none after a week.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
You are correct about the sport bands, but  also makes solo loops and those bands are silicone. I only buy sport bands from  because fluoroelastomer is just better. But I won’t pay $50 for silicone. My 3rd party solo loops aren’t nasty. They aren’t even showing signs of wear and I wear them the most.

I wear sport loops the most also. Have you tried Armillawear? I really like mine from there. I barely feel it on my wrist and it's holding up great.

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
I wear sport loops the most also. Have you tried Armillawear? I really like mine from there. I barely feel it on my wrist and it's holding up great.

I haven’t heard of them. I’ll check them out! Thanks!

darkpaw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
I bought one kind-of-Nike-Sport-Band-thing from Amazon for £7 rather than the £39 I think a genuine one was from Apple. It was thinner, and the pin didn't keep the band in properly. Then I bought a Ted Baker leather strap. The leather was thin and rigid and it felt rubbish. After those poor experiences I bought Apple bands. They're just better.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Until now, I've worn Apple bands. However, a good watch deserves good bands made from genuine leather, so it looks like I'll have to look elsewhere going forward.

forzagaribaldi

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2008
London, UK
I've got 50 bands and all are Apple ones. When I first got my watch I tried a few cheap third-party ones but they were pretty awful. However, I've never bought one at full retail price. Always either old stock or second-hand. Never paid more than £20 for a sport band or sport loop, sometimes half that. Most I've paid is £60 for the stainless steel bracelet.

Reactions: EmmaLouWho

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I've got 50 bands and all are Apple ones. When I first got my watch I tried a few cheap third-party ones but they were pretty awful. However, I've never bought one at full retail price. Always either old stock or second-hand. Never paid more than £20 for a sport band or sport loop, sometimes half that. Most I've paid is £60 for the stainless steel bracelet.
Where do you buy them from?

New?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.