Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you Reduce Motion?

• Yes, I get motion sickess/I don't like the effect

Votes: 88 46.3%
  • No, I use it regularly

Votes: 97 51.1%
  • I don't know what the Reduce Motion setting does

Votes: 5 2.6%

• Total voters

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
Now that some time has passed after this "issue" emerged, do you find yourself enjoying the feature or not?

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I like the motion effect; no issues for my vision.

Most of the time I also don't even realize; I need to actively looking for it in case I want to enjoy.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I had it activated but with ios 7.1 beta 2 the animations are so fast, that I disabled reduce motion.
iOS 7.1 solves all issues with animations.

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I find the zoom effect leaves me feeling slightly queasy, and is more jarring than the fade out It's a pity though that you can't configure the zoom and parallax independently.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I turned that off!! At first it was cool but quickly came annoying and was slowing things down... Now things are smooth and straightforward...

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
I don't get motion sickness, but have reduce motion on. I prefer the fade in animation. At first the regular zoom animation was cool, but after awhile, like parallax, it just seemed gimmicky.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't get motion sickness, but have reduce motion on. I prefer the fade in animation. At first the regular zoom animation was cool, but after awhile, like parallax, it just seemed gimmicky.
Same here, for pretty much the same reasons (even using iOS 7.1 beta 2 where animations are smoother/faster).

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Like others said, 7.1 fixes the animations. Say what you want about iOS 7, but Apple has been listening to a lot of users requests over the past couple months.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
Now that some time has passed after this "issue" emerged, do you find yourself enjoying the feature or not?

I was so happy when my friend showed me this option, mostly because of the annoying one where the icons fall into place once I unlock the phone. It's too slow of an animation. Everything seems quicker without all the overdone animations.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Toggling on the reduce motion option is akin to toggling on the I HATE APPLE button as far as I'm concerned. The option shouldn't be there. I don't like it when Apple loses confidence in their decisions and adds complicated options that are totally unnecessary. This would never have happened if SJ was still around.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
Toggling on the reduce motion option is akin to toggling on the I HATE APPLE button as far as I'm concerned. The option shouldn't be there. I don't like it when Apple loses confidence in their decisions and adds complicated options that are totally unnecessary. This would never have happened if SJ was still around.

I think it's a nice touch to be able toggle Reduce Motion on/off. Some days, I have it on (and I don't hate Apple), some days I have it off. Nothing complicated about it...

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England

Yeah, because Apple is incapable of making mistakes. :rolleyes:

It's not like everything Jobs did worked or was a success. Having options does not equate to being complicated. Honestly, it's something Apple should have more of.

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
I prefer simplicity. Give me the option to reduce other effects and I'll probably take them.

attila

macrumors 6502a
I find the new animations slow, cheap, excessive and useless. Unfortunately, leaving this on still gives you slow fade animations. At least in 7.1 animations aren't slow anymore, but I might still have Reduce Motion turned on.

I'm looking forward to iOS7.9

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.