Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you Reduce Motion?

• Yes, I get motion sickess/I don't like the effect

Votes: 88 46.3%
  • No, I use it regularly

Votes: 97 51.1%
  • I don't know what the Reduce Motion setting does

Votes: 5 2.6%

• Total voters

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't use Reduce Motion because it makes the iPhone feel slower.
By making it actually slightly faster?

----------

Toggling on the reduce motion option is akin to toggling on the I HATE APPLE button as far as I'm concerned. The option shouldn't be there. I don't like it when Apple loses confidence in their decisions and adds complicated options that are totally unnecessary. This would never have happened if SJ was still around.
Seems like the sarcasm tags got left out. ;)

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Yes, I reduce motion and avoid potholes when driving.

I would reduce iOS7 if they had a toggle for that.

~Ks383~

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Do you Reduce Motion or not?

Reduce motion isn't making it faster... it just reduces the motion so that people don't get dizzy.

It actually does make a couple of things slightly faster, namely interacting with the springboard after an unlock and swiping to the second page of folders when first selecting them. There was a long discussion in a previous thread about this when reduce motion first began changing the animations. All other device interactions are the same though.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
I love the effects but I had to turn it on. I got tired of waiting for the animations to finish before I could use my phone.

macigo

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2013
It actually does make a couple of things slightly faster, namely interacting with the springboard after an unlock and swiping to the second page of folders when first selecting them. There was a long discussion in a previous thread about this when reduce motion first began changing the animations. All other device interactions are the same though.

Since there's nothing to watch, it feels much slower. So I don't like Reduce motion.

~Ks383~

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Since there's nothing to watch, it feels much slower. So I don't like Reduce motion.

I personally like the animations. I was just pointing out that there was some testing done on the matter and it seemed like a couple of things were slightly faster with reduce motion on.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'd really love for there to be actually nothing to watch and just get to want I want instantly without any animation of one kind or another. I'm not using my phone to look at animations of things opening or closing, in use it to use those things that I'm opening or closing.

macigo

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2013
I'd really love for there to be actually nothing to watch and just get to want I want instantly without any animation of one kind or another. I'm not using my phone to look at animations of things opening or closing, in use it to use those things that I'm opening or closing.

I prefer the animations because without them it just seems too stiff and boring. Like MSDOS.

It's supposed to be intuitive, intelligent and fast.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I prefer the animations because without them it just seems too stiff and boring. Like MSDOS.

It's supposed to be intuitive, intelligent and fast.
Yup, none of that requires any animation, or certainly animation that someone actually catches and thinks about looking at rather than simply having it there to enhance things without even consciously registering (which would actually be something that is designed well--when you don't really notice it, yet it's there enhancing the experience).

macigo

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2013
Yup, none of that requires any animation, or certainly animation that someone actually catches and thinks about looking at rather than simply having it there to enhance things without even consciously registering (which would actually be something that is designed well--when you don't really notice it, yet it's there enhancing the experience).
Well animation has been part of iOS for a long time. It's not like it's overly animated or anything. I mean, the windows open and close, the apps move into place. That's about it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well animation has been part of iOS for a long time. It's not like it's overly animated or anything. I mean, the windows open and close, the apps move into place. That's about it.
True, but clearly something changed for the worse with iOS 7 as many more people started noticing the animations and disliking them as they are implemented. They were subtle as I described in earlier versions but not so much to many more people in iOS 7. iOS 7.1 seems to improve on that finally, but they are still noticeable now unlike before where most didn't pay attention to them because they were done at the right balance of form and function, rather than mostly form over function.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
True, but clearly something changed for the worse with iOS 7 as many more people started noticing the animations and disliking them as they are implemented. They were subtle as I described in earlier versions but not so much to many more people in iOS 7. iOS 7.1 seems to improve on that finally, but they are still noticeable now unlike before where most didn't pay attention to them because they were done at the right balance of form and function, rather than mostly form over function.

As with much of IOS 7 I think people are highly sensitised to it and are simply noticing "different", not worse. There were just as many animations in IOS 6 and below but they'd been there for so long (and were emulated by so many other systems) that they just became invisible through familiarity, IMO.

DJJAZZYJET

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
I had it activated but with ios 7.1 beta 2 the animations are so fast, that I disabled reduce motion.
iOS 7.1 solves all issues with animations.

Thank goodness for that. Thanks for posting. Can't wait till 7.1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.