Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you mostly shoot with?

• Total voters

rabaak

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2016
I only use my iPhone when I don't have one of my mirrorless cameras within reach.

With the smaller lighter cameras and lenses, I usually have one close by.

The 28-280 lens for my Panasonic is less than 3 inches long (when zoomed out). I've had 3 mirrorless Panasonics since 2010. Love them. But now that Canon and Nikon have mirrorless products, I will probably look at them as well for my next camera.

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
In what I glean is characteristic of this forum, rather than start a new thread on what the the iPhone 15/Pro offers, I'm bumping up this one.

First, the question: who is interested in splashing the cash on the iPhone 15 Pro (or Max) with intent to use its new camera capabilities?

Next - and please ignore if this takes up too much of your time ..

some background and an update:

I've been taking snaps on my iPhone since the iPhone 4. Although I also have also owned several fairly decent compact cameras, I've enjoyed the opportunity of the camera capability that was in my pocket. Upgrading to the iPhone 7 was a revelation and I began to appreciate more of what many here might call the lower slopes of photography - by which I really mean interest, catching the moment, focal point and framing in general.

There was a similar uplift in my interest and I hope the results when I upgraded to my present iPhone 12 Pro.

Having swithered on subsequent upgrades I realised that I was always interested in what the 13 & 14 Pro might deliver by way of a better camera. As I was not dissatisfied with the 12 Pro, I decided to invest in a 'real camera' with detachable lens and having consulted a few of the sherpa on this forum, I bought a s/h Fujifilm X-T2 body and a pancake lens as equipment to climb higher up the slopes of photography.

Confession: I've tried but not really come to grips with it. Some better shots than I have managed before but although it sits staring at me in the living room, I rarely take it with me and I have not developed the go-hunt drive, perhaps because I have been busy with a small consultancy and lots of other forms of recreation. I do still use my iPhone 12 to take photographs as and when I see something interesting - although I'm not as frequent a poster as I used to be, but only because the other matters mentioned leave less time at present.

That brings me back to the interest in the iPhone 15 Pro, or even the Max.

I'd be interested in your comments, especially if you've read this far ;)

• Haha
Reactions: TechnoMonk

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
In what I glean is characteristic of this forum, rather than start a new thread on what the the iPhone 15/Pro offers, I'm bumping up this one.

First, the question: who is interested in splashing the cash on the iPhone 15 Pro (or Max) with intent to use its new camera capabilities?

I've been taking snaps on my iPhone since the iPhone 4. Although I also have also owned several fairly decent compact cameras, I've enjoyed the opportunity of the camera capability that was in my pocket. Upgrading to the iPhone 7 was a revelation and I began to appreciate more of what many here might call the lower slopes of photography - by which I really mean interest, catching the moment, focal point and framing in general.

There was a similar uplift in my interest and I hope the results when I upgraded to my present iPhone 12 Pro.

Having swithered on subsequent upgrades I realised that I was always interested in what the 13 & 14 Pro might deliver by way of a better camera. As I was not dissatisfied with the 12 Pro, I decided to invest in a 'real camera' with detachable lens and having consulted a few of the sherpa on this forum, I bought a s/h Fujifilm X-T2 body and a pancake lens as equipment to climb higher up the slopes of photography.

Confession: I've tried but not really come to grips with it. Some better shots than I have managed before but although it sits staring at me in the living room, I rarely take it with me and I have not developed the go-hunt drive, perhaps because I have been busy with a small consultancy and lots of other forms of recreation. I do still use my iPhone 12 to take photographs as and when I see something interesting - although I'm not as frequent a poster as I used to be, but only because the other matters mentioned leave less time at present.

You don’t need fancy cameras to climb higher slopes of photography. Some of my best pics were from iPhone 5s. They would smoke lot of pics from my DSLR or a 13 PM. Personally I buy the iPhone with best camera in the series. I upgraded from 7+ to 13 PM. Screen size and camera is important for me.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016

I have no interest in upgrading to a 15 simply because I moved to 14PM earlier this year from an 8+. But as you haven't upgraded in awhile, it might be the right move for you.

Although it's a very trite saying, and often less accurate than it seems, there is occasional merit to the quote, "the best camera is the one you have with you." For those of us who like to use a dedicated camera, we often find that phone images fall short of our expectations, and we are frustrated with the lack of options of a phone camera. And because we have a vision of what we hope to capture that day or outing, we are willing to put up with the hassle and the weight because we chase a specific end result.

But for you....if your new camera just sits staring at you....then for sure find something that works for you. You might find that if you force yourself to carry it with you consistently for the next three days/three weeks/some interval of time that it becomes second nature to reach for it first. But if it hasn't happened yet, it's not likely to.

If photography is something you really do love, or at least like a lot, then use whatever gear makes you reach for it and use it. For you, the best camera may really well be a phone camera, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Whether the 15 is "that much better" than your 12 is something that you'll just have to read reviews about, but don't feel bad about sticking with just your phone if you actually use it regularly for photo-taking. 🙂

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
Thanks for the feedback.

I've not abandoned the X-T2, but neither have I yet made it my companion. That might have to wait until I have fewer other demands on my time. But nor have I fallen out of love with my iPhone 12Pro - indeed, and I say this quietly lest it seems completely weird, I quite like the patina on its leather case which I would have to replace were I to upgrade to the 15Pro.

In other words, perhaps I could postpone upgrade until the 16.

However, I am still interested in my original about who is interested in splashing the cash on the iPhone 15 Pro (or Max) with intent to use its new camera capabilities?

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
Former professional photographer here. (Just for context) And I am ditching the middle ground of cameras to double down “on the one I have with me”…

I am buying the 15 Pro… and maybe Max. I’m heading to an Apple Store shortly to try them on for size. Knowing that they will be housed in a case: the Fjorden. This should allow me to test the 15 Pro in all of its potential and I’ll let you guys know how I feel about that when I’ve been using it for a while, if you wish.

Slight aside: I’m a mini user now and hate larger phones, so this should be fun!

For further context: I shoot Nikon full frame and I have a Fuji X100V that is becoming more and more part of my use scenario. No, I haven’t been a “pro” for a looooong time…

Reactions: StrollerEd

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland

That review seems to like the Max, but as you say, it's big.

I might also pop down to the Apple Store and check out the feel of it.

That mention of Fjorden is interesting ;)

Fozzybadfeet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2009
Pretty bummed that the telephoto lens is only on the Max model. I've been using the 12pro model for the past couple years and enjoy the size of it.

Currently debating if I should go for the max to utilize the telephoto lens. Also debating if I should run my 12Pro to the ground and just add another lens to my X-T3.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I am still mulling over whether or not I want to buy an iPhone 15 Pro or Pro Max this year.... Not in any great hurry so will let all the initial rush and commotion get settled down and then cruise on over to my local Apple Store for a look and hands-on experience with the two models. I have always bought Pro models, so at least that makes the decision process a little quicker and easier.

If I DO buy one, of course the camera and the new features/functionality will be a consideration but I love my "real" cameras way too much to ever think of simply only shooting with the iPhone. Since I'm retired and at home a fair amount, obviously that makes a difference in terms of convenience when wanting to shoot something. I can simply open the living room armoire doors and grab a camera and lens, which is what happens most of the time.

However, there have been times when I do grab the iPhone and take a shot or two when I've had an idea for something, but that's more often test shooting to see if the idea is even feasible before getting out the real gear and setting up something.

When out-and-about -- ah, that is when I am more likely to pull the iPhone out and take a shot or two when I see something really interesting, as, yep, that IS the camera I have in my pocket or bag right at that time. The scene seen is actually shot rather than simply left as a vague impression and memory later on.

So that's where I am right at the moment.....watching and waiting.....mulling things over.

Last edited:

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
Decided to get the regular Pro. No need for a new post for that… we’ll see how frustrating that is…

Last edited:

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
Day to day, I use my old iPhone. Will be getting the 15 - still on the fence if I want the Pro.

Shooting my kids' sports I grab my old Canon Digital Rebel with a 200MM lens. Someone’s I’ll share action shot of their teammates too. Not the best setup but I’m not a pro and the parents appreciate the gestures for closer action than they try to get on their phones.

MacMan2013

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2023
My actual camera has disappeared somewhere (probably in a closet or something and will show up sooner or later. So I started using my iPad as a camera, which worked surprisingly well, especially for pictures of stuff to put on eBay. iPad was on charge today so tried the iPhone camera, which also worked quite well for this purpose. The thumb and forefinger zoom is very useful and Airdrop to send the pictures to my MacBook works more reliably than I would have expected. Whilst I'm on things working better than expected, just noticed my new Mac is automatically correcting the placement of capitals in Apple brand names.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
I’ve been waiting for the USB-C port to upgrade and will get the 15 pro max later this year. While I use it for photography related things like PhotoPills/Windy/TPE and various tethering / live view apps, I’m not particularly after the camera itself, although I’m sure it will be awesome for some things every now and again.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016

I for one would have bought it just for the cameras, specifically the 15 Pro Max because of the new lens mechanism. But I’m not upgrading this year because I’m on the 14 Pro Max from last year and the 15 Pro Max will not being any significant benefit for me over that. Also mostly all iOS 17 feature will come to the 14 Pro as well.

So here’s my take. Many in the photography forum know me for exclusively shooting with my iPhone. I agree completely with [mention]mollyc [/mention] that since you haven’t upgraded for a few years you’ll definitely see differences in terms of image processing and HDR over your 12.

Also from 14 Pro onwards the sensor size for the main camera has drastically increased from
12 to 48 megapixels which means they have more headroom for pixel binning but at the same time with Apple ProRAW you get an awesome mix of computational photography plus the detailed digital data that you may want to play around with.

Ultimately it’s not the tool but the photography itself that has to win which is of course dependent on the photographer.

An example of super late and dark shot of the St Paul’s cathedral from last night here in London. To be able to take this shot on a traditional full frame camera and edit to this point I don’t know how long I’d have taken, but not with an iPhone.

9470e94e18f573384e5afe554f0ff136.jpg

It has been at least a good few years since I have sold my DSLR & have challenged myself to stick to iPhone photography knowing the limitations and trying to play with it to get the best shot I can. I can wholeheartedly say I didn’t look back ones.

And another shot from last afternoon under different lighting conditions.

db9790305a99410d4275e8f3781fe3f2.jpg

Ps. None of this is to say the shots we see from the full frame cameras from the talented photographers here in the forum is any less impressive. It’s just my personal setup in life and I am just so glad that I get to see awesome photography here and can learn a trick or two.

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
I for one would have bought it just for the cameras, specifically the 15 Pro Max because of the new lens mechanism. But I’m not upgrading this year because I’m on the 14 Pro Max from last year and the 15 Pro Max will not being any significant benefit for me over that. Also mostly all iOS 17 feature will come to the 14 Pro as well.

So here’s my take. Many in the photography forum know me for exclusively shooting with my iPhone. I agree completely with [mention]mollyc [/mention] that since you haven’t upgraded for a few years you’ll definitely see differences in terms of image processing and HDR over your 12.

Also from 14 Pro onwards the sensor size for the main camera has drastically increased from
12 to 48 megapixels which means they have more headroom for pixel binning but at the same time with Apple ProRAW you get an awesome mix of computational photography plus the detailed digital data that you may want to play around with.

Ultimately it’s not the tool but the photography itself that has to win which is of course dependent on the photographer.

An example of super late and dark shot of the St Paul’s cathedral from last night here in London. To be able to take this shot on a traditional full frame camera and edit to this point I don’t know how long I’d have taken, but not with an iPhone.

9470e94e18f573384e5afe554f0ff136.jpg

It has been at least a good few years since I have sold my DSLR & have challenged myself to stick to iPhone photography knowing the limitations and trying to play with it to get the best shot I can. I can wholeheartedly say I didn’t look back ones.

And another shot from last afternoon under different lighting conditions.

db9790305a99410d4275e8f3781fe3f2.jpg

Ps. None of this is to say the shots we see from the full frame cameras from the talented photographers here in the forum is any less impressive. It’s just my personal setup in life and I am just so glad that I get to see awesome photography here and can learn a trick or two.
Thanks. Great shots btw.

I've signed up to get the iPhone 15ProMax. As it happens, I won't be around to collect on the delayed date they have come up with. Gratification is therefore deferred until November.

Meanwhile, the camera will I have with me continues to be the 12Pro and I might even give the X-T2 a trip out in the garden or further afield.

Reactions: akash.nu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.