Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you mostly shoot with?

• Total voters

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Funny how trendy Fuji seems to be these days.....
Funny how good of cameras Fuji makes and people are enjoying and doing good work with them.

I detect more than a hint of snark in your comment and I don't know where it's coming from. Actually I suspect I may know...and frankly shouldn't expect anything different.

Reactions: jwolf6589

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
No snark intended.....this is simply an observation that I have made over the past year or so. No need to be defensive!
Yet you chose to use the loaded word "trendy"...and have commented on certain "influencers" on social media using Fuji. It's hard not to read it as snarky. That's especially true considering that "trendy" seems to suggest that people are buying because others are and not because they see the merits in the products.

Would "popular" not have been equally accurate and not as loaded?

Reactions: mollyc

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
What lens do you shoot with your Pro2?
Shooting mostly street, I tend to go out mostly with the 35mm f2 or the 50mm f2. I have the 35mm f1.4 and a number of other lenses but they don't tend to be used as often. I'll take the X100V the most as it's the lightest! I only go out with one lens or camera at a time and just work with my decision for the day. I'm not really a wide angle shooter. What about you?

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Yet you chose to use the loaded word "trendy"...and have commented on certain "influencers" on social media using Fuji. It's hard not to read it as snarky. That's especially true considering that "trendy" seems to suggest that people are buying because others are and not because they see the merits in the products.

We might say there are two sets of users at the moment as there are those that like and appreciate Fuji cameras for what they are but anyone trying to buy an X100V won't have failed to notice they were reasonably easy to buy until they became trendy/popular on TikTok at which time everyone and their dog seemed to want one! Hopefully, a good portion of this latter group will learn to use and enjoy their cameras. Fuji cameras were the ones that put all the fun back into photography for me after my 5DII became too heavy. 🙂

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016

We might say there are two sets of users at the moment as there are those that like and appreciate Fuji cameras for what they are but anyone trying to buy an X100V won't have failed to notice they were reasonably easy to buy until they became trendy/popular on TikTok at which time everyone and their dog seemed to want one! Hopefully, a good portion of this latter group will learn to use and enjoy their cameras. Fuji cameras were the ones that put all the fun back into photography for me after my 5DII became too heavy. 🙂

The popularity of a single camera does not make an entire brand "trendy." There are multiple people on MR alone who shoot Fuji, are they doing it only for the hype?

Fujifilm, one of the smaller camera companies overall, fills a niche that is avoided by most of the other larger camera makers; they focus primarily on APS-C, delivering smaller, less expensive bodies and lenses, as well as medium format, an even smaller niche that is not served by any of the top three (Canon, Nikon, Sony). If your work needs (or a person wants) either of these two formats, the big three likely cannot deliver.

Frankly I'm tired of people here complaining about influencers. Print media has gone by the wayside and adblockers hide corporate advertising in the digital world; people don't watch traditional tv and ads on streaming platforms are minimal. Whether we like it or not, influencers are how we hear about new products, regardless of category. Influencers are easier to avoid than a full page advertising spread in Time or Good Housekeeping from decades ago. But companies have to promote their products in some capacity, so right now it's through YouTube, TikTok, or whatever the app of the month is. This is what happens, living in a digitally driven world.

Plenty of "real work" is being done on Fuji gear. As well as Canon, Sony, Nikon, etc. If someone is worried about what gear is "trendy" perhaps they should focus on their own technique with the gear they have. Switching just to switch isn't going to make anyone better. Switch for a reason and own it, and then just move on. (For instance, if you switched over five years ago, those reasons are no longer valid. I had reason to switch from Canon to Nikon at one point, but were I starting out today, those reasons no longer stand and maybe I'd start with Canon...but it doesn't matter, if you like a brand, no need to bash on another.)

Last edited:

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Funny how trendy Fuji seems to be these days.....

I think the majority camera users are going to be Sony and Canon so that's been the trend for the longest time. I didn't pick up the Fuji because it was trendy. I honestly don't care about that. I wanted to try something new and different for myself.

Also, I am glad that inflooenzers have been promoting it, otherwise, I never would have thought about looking into it. No regrets about trying out Fuji, and I enjoy shooting with it and sharing the photos that come out of the camera. It has also made printing physical photos fun again because of the film-like simulations.

Last edited:

Fozzybadfeet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2009
Shooting mostly street, I tend to go out mostly with the 35mm f2 or the 50mm f2. I have the 35mm f1.4 and a number of other lenses but they don't tend to be used as often. I'll take the X100V the most as it's the lightest! I only go out with one lens or camera at a time and just work with my decision for the day. I'm not really a wide angle shooter. What about you?
Currently have a X-T3 with a 23mm and 50mm. Use the 23mm more than the 50mm and have considered getting the 16-55 f2.8, but I've been reading that lens is on the heavier side.

Reactions: Ish

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
The popularity of a single camera does not make an entire brand "trendy." There are multiple people on MR alone who shoot Fuji, are they doing it only for the hype?

Fujifilm, one of the smaller camera companies overall, fills a niche that is avoided my most of the other larger camera makers; they focus primarily on APS-C, delivering smaller, less expensive bodies and lenses, as well as medium format, an even smaller niche that is not served by any of the top three (Canon, Nikon, Sony). If your work needs (or a person wants) either of these two formats, the big three likely cannot deliver.

Frankly I'm tired of people here complaining about influencers. Print media has gone by the wayside and adblockers hide corporate advertising in the digital world; people don't watch traditional tv and ads on streaming platforms are minimal. Whether we like it or not, influencers are how we hear about new products, regardless of category. Influencers are easier to avoid than a full page advertising spread in Time or Good Housekeeping from decades ago. But companies have to promote their products in some capacity, so right now it's through YouTube, TikTok, or whatever the app of the month is. This is what happens, living in a digitally driven world.

Plenty of "real work" is being done on Fuji gear. As well as Canon, Sony, Nikon, etc. If someone is worried about what gear is "trendy" perhaps they should focus on their own technique with the gear they have. Switching just to switch isn't going to make anyone better. Switch for a reason and own it, and then just move on. (For instance, if you switched over five years ago, those reasons are no longer valid. I had reason to switch from Canon to Nikon at one point, but were I starting out today, those reasons no longer stand and maybe I'd start with Canon...but it doesn't matter, if you like a brand, no need to bash on another.)

I didn’t see anyone complain about Fuji being trendy. Just an observation. As someone who buys more cameras than most (as I do it for a living), I can assure you the influencers who plugged the X100V pushed sales 1000% overnight. They sell out the day of every delivery.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I didn’t see anyone complain about Fuji being trendy. Just an observation. As someone who buys more cameras than most (as I do it for a living), I can assure you the influencers who plugged the X100V pushed sales 1000% overnight. They sell out the day of every delivery.
I appreciate your insight and know you have first hand knowledge.

I still stand by the statement that one camera doesn't make an entire brand trendy. And complaint vs observation is likely in the eye of the beholder.

On the other hand, a lot of people (like me) see real value and usefulness of the X100V, regardless of how much hype it has. It doesn't sell well *just* because of influencers. It's a fun little package that is super practical. How many other cameras have a built in ND feature AND fit in a pocket? Can it do everything? Nope, of course not. But it does an awful lot for the size and price.

Last edited:
Reactions: soulreaver99

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Fujifilm, one of the smaller camera companies overall, fills a niche that is avoided my most of the other larger camera makers; they focus primarily on APS-C, delivering smaller, less expensive bodies and lenses, as well as medium format, an even smaller niche that is not served by any of the top three (Canon, Nikon, Sony). If your work needs (or a person wants) either of these two formats, the big three likely cannot deliver.

I got into Fuji for one specific reason-

No one else makes as comprehensive and well thought out of a APS-C line-up of cameras as they do. I know µ4/3 was a possibility for small and compact, but there's a limit to just how small I wanted to go

I found with that, though, that they just make darn good cameras and lenses.

Fuji definitely is a "think different" company-gee that would be a catchy slogan for a company to use. I wonder why none have...

Some people will say that X-trans is all hype, but I can see a definite difference in how colors are rendered and the camera output is very pleasing to me with many PP work.

24x36mm sensors still definitely have their place both for me and for the larger market. The noise performance of Nikon's 45mp sensors is excellent, and the unfortunately probably soon dead 20mp sensor of the D5 and D6 is out of this world. Shallow DOF/subject isolation is definitely easier with a larger sensor. It's hard to get around the physics/optics that dictate this, and the only real solution is to use faster lenses which comes with its own problems. Fuji's 56mm f/1.2 is fantastic, but there are also a lot of choices for full frame 85mm f/1.8 or f/2 lenses that behave much the same(on full frame sensors) without needing exotic designs.

It's hard to pinpoint for me, but using my X-T5 just makes me happy in a way that no other current camera does. And yes, again, I love the results and the color rendition. The latter is true whether I crank the saturation up to 11 in Velvia mode or if I go for a more subdued look in Pro Neg or one of the other settings.

Re: your referenced article I have noticed that there seems to be a lot of debate about the various generations of X-trans sensor. The current 40mp X-trans 5 seems to not have enough out there about it yet for there to be a ton of conclusions. I can't compare directly since it's my only one.

As Fuji medium format goes, they're pretty much the only actually affordable MF cameras out there from my perspective.

Last thing-if I were to start from scratch, I think Nikon DSLRs would still make the most sense for me at this time, but that may not always be the case. Really, though, I think we all agree that knowing how to use what you have is far more important.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
The iPhone is the camera that is with me all the time. When I want to get really good pictures the real camera comes out.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Not to continue this as a Fuji pile on...

But remember that Fuji has a long history in digital imaging and always a different approach to things.

Back in the 90s, they actually made some of the first DSLRs in cooperation with Nikon. They were sort of oddballs with internal "reverse teleconverters" so to speak that made lenses behave like their marked focal length would on a 24x36mm camera and conveniently enough also increased the speed. I don't have one(I need one...or a few...) but they were about the size of a 645 SLR. They were not particularly sucessful.

Later on they started putting their APS-C "Super CCD" sensors in Nikon SLRs. These were pretty interesting technology with a "honeycomb" arrangement to the photosites that among other things can avoid color aliasing(much like the X-Trans can) and also interpolates nicely. They also used two pixels per photosite, something that allowed them to have among the best dynamic range on the market at the time. The S1, on an N65 body, was clunky and the S2 had QC issues that caused sensors to die. The S3 is based on the N80(that body got around-the D100 was based on it also, as was the Kodak DCS 14/n and SLR/n) with a lovely super CCD with 6 million photosites/12 million pixels. It's slow and clunky with horrible battery life(but at least runs on AAs). Back in 2005, the photographer who did my sister's wedding used one, and nearly 25 years later his work still holds up. It has a look like he shot on Fuji Pro 400H, but is overall lovely. The S5 is a real gem-an improved version of the S3 CCD stuffed in a D200, so it works and handles like a DSLR and not a digital back film SLR.

I'm not sure if the Fuji DSLRs ever even sold as the volume as their contemporary Kodaks(which is saying something as it was pretty much game over for Kodak once the D1 dropped despite their own take on color science/color rendering having its appeal) but they were definitely popular wedding and portrait cameras, and can really sing in the right hands.

The X cameras are Fuji rethinking things from the ground up and showing what happens when they build their own system-and they did a great job if I do say so myself.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK

Fujifilm, one of the smaller camera companies overall, fills a niche that is avoided by most of the other larger camera makers; they focus primarily on APS-C, delivering smaller, less expensive bodies and lenses, as well as medium format, an even smaller niche that is not served by any of the top three (Canon, Nikon, Sony). If your work needs (or a person wants) either of these two formats, the big three likely cannot deliver.

I think you took what I said the wrong way, sorry if I wasn't clear. Like you, I use the X100V for the camera it is. I've been using Fuji cameras for ten or eleven years and enjoy what they offer. Enjoy your X100V! 😊

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I think you took what I said the wrong way, sorry if I wasn't clear. Like you, I use the X100V for the camera it is. I've been using Fuji cameras for ten or eleven years and enjoy what they offer. Enjoy your X100V! 😊
No, I didn't take your comment out of context, although I see why you might think that since I quoted you. Sorry for the confusion. ❤️

There is a generalization among a lot of people that the only reason someone might buy the X100V right now is solely because it's considered trendy. They seem to forget that the reason it is trendy is because it is very small, very fast, and very fun. It's a lot of camera in a small package. I absolutely did not buy mine because it's trendy, but rather because it fills a void in my gear line up, the rest of which is all fairly bulky. We all know that the size advantage of a mirrorless body is negated by the over-engineered lenses that go with it (and no one complains because the mirrorless lenses are stellar). But that I can now take a camera (an actual camera, not a phone) in my bag with me wherever I go, and also one that even fits in a coat pocket is equally baffling and exciting to me.

I completely respect that others don't understand the Fujifilm ethos and culture. No problem. There are brands that I don't understand the hype about. I'm also not out there giving little digs at different camera brands. But I don't like generalizations that because one brand is being touted more that it makes it "trendy" and therefore less than XYZ gear.

It's funny that one person can imply that they don't want to use a specific brand because they are "too slow" to respond to the market and then in the next breath remark that a different brand is "too trendy." The reality is that neither of these statements are true, and every individual photographer makes value judgments as to which gear best suits their needs and then chooses accordingly. More choices should be seen as a good thing, not a bad thing.

Reactions: Ish and bunnspecial

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
No, I didn't take your comment out of context, although I see why you might think that since I quoted you. Sorry for the confusion. ❤️

There is a generalization among a lot of people that the only reason someone might buy the X100V right now is solely because it's considered trendy. They seem to forget that the reason it is trendy is because it is very small, very fast, and very fun. It's a lot of camera in a small package. I absolutely did not buy mine because it's trendy, but rather because it fills a void in my gear line up, the rest of which is all fairly bulky. We all know that the size advantage of a mirrorless body is negated by the over-engineered lenses that go with it (and no one complains because the mirrorless lenses are stellar). But that I can now take a camera (an actual camera, not a phone) in my bag with me wherever I go, and also one that even fits in a coat pocket is equally baffling and exciting to me.

I completely respect that others don't understand the Fujifilm ethos and culture. No problem. There are brands that I don't understand the hype about. I'm also not out there giving little digs at different camera brands. But I don't like generalizations that because one brand is being touted more that it makes it "trendy" and therefore less than XYZ gear.

It's funny that one person can imply that they don't want to use a specific brand because they are "too slow" to respond to the market and then in the next breath remark that a different brand is "too trendy." The reality is that neither of these statements are true, and every individual photographer makes value judgments as to which gear best suits their needs and then chooses accordingly. More choices should be seen as a good thing, not a bad thing.
Good post. After shooting with the original X100, the X100T and the X100F, I’m not sure I don’t find the new lens on the V a bit too sharp. I was in two minds about upgrading from the F, consequently I’ve only had it a few weeks and not quite got used to the results.

Reactions: bunnspecial

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
I realise this is probably going to be as unpopular an opinion as a Vegan giving advice on a BBQ forum, but… 🙂

"Do you shoot mostly with an iPhone, or a “real” camera?"

I am very much an amateur. I enjoy taking photographs, trying to see a nicely composed and framed image whenever possible.
Camera wise I never progressed beyond a Sony A6500, so not a Pro or committed to spending £X,000s on equipment.

Anyway, to the question…

We came back from 2 weeks walking / hiking in the Lake District and then along Hadrian's Wall.

I took along both my Sony and my iPhone.

The Sony stayed at home after the first day. The iPhone 13 Mini and Joby tripod came with me each and every day.

Did I miss my zoom? The DoF? Absolutely!

Did only having my iPhone with me stop me from grabbing some rather nice images? Not at all.

It did free me from the burden of walking around with a heavy camera in my hand, around my neck, or with this awful rainy weather, in the bag.

Quite a few people I saw on the trails lugging around their DSLRs, massive zooms… scrabbling up the rocks, it really looked like a bother and a constant stress. Usually these were men, their partners exasperatedly rolling their eyes as their SO concentrated more on what he saw through the view finder than what was actually right in front of his eyes.

So, I guess if I am out and about town or at home, I enjoy the abilities of my Sony… but when it comes to convenience and freedom while travelling, the iPhone is my go-to.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I used to be enthusiast photographer until iPhone camera is getting better and better (and am lazy to bring camera set everywhere). I love candid picture and composition of nature/landscape/people. Now, I am trying to make it simple and enjoy (many other aspects) the life more.

Reactions: Evvie and arkitect

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I used to be enthusiast photographer until iPhone camera is getting better and better (and am lazy to bring camera set everywhere). I love candid picture and composition of nature/landscape/people. Now, I am trying to make it simple and enjoy (many other aspects) the life more.

This is where I am. Since the iPhone 5 days actually I sold my DSLR and made it into my hobby to capture life via my smartphone rather than a dedicated camera.

Reactions: Evvie
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.