Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you mostly shoot with?

• Total voters

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I can barely use the iPhone 14 pro max camera. The way it post processes kills everything
There is a similar thing on the Android phone I use. Not iPhone level of sophistication but equally annoying. It has an AI option on by default and for some reason it doesnt let you set it to full resolution by default.

Highly annoying having to faff with stupid settings on the phone before getting an image.

OneSon

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013
For photography I care about (my family, travel, holidays, some architecture) I use a mirrorless ICL camera. Either an Olympus OMD or a little Fujifilm X-E3. I have control over aperture, shutter speed and ISO in a way I find hard to replicate on a smartphone. I also have lenses that are pin sharp and in a range of focal lengths. The JPEGs these cameras produce are lovely as well.

For silly stuff like taking photos of things I see in shops I might want to buy I use my smartphone. It's kind of nice actually because when I buy a new smartphone the camera doesn't need to be a part of the decision. I'm still using an XR and it's perfectly fine.

Zanton68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
UK
If I’m going out to take photos e.g. an event or function, I use both. I have found often the best shots have been with the phone. DSLR is better for portraits as a general rule, but there is often little difference between the two

Reactions: The Cockney Rebel

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
lol... read the manual? whats this voodoo you speak of? 😂
well, it's called google problem XYZ and see what page i need to get to...i don't actually sit down and read it all. although i did read more of the GFX manual from the start since it's nothing like Nikon, I needed some way to get started. but "more of" really means like 8-10 pages total, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: kenoh

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
“Mostly” is the problem. I shoot with my iPhone all the time. I shoot with my dSLRs (and X100V) when I have a specific photo idea in mind. I even have film cameras still. They get even less use but are still on duty in B&W.

I will be upgrading to the iPhone Pro this autumn and getting a camera grip to replace the always left-behind 1” camera (I sold it years ago; love the idea but it’s now so impractical, relatively, that I’d just take a dedicated camera instead).

If I ever save up the money and can justify it to myself, I’ll pick up a Q3 Monochrom (once they release one, of course). I really believe it would become my go-to camera for >50% of my photography

edit: I have a D700 and D750 with a sizeable collection of lenses, mostly primes. If a good opportunity arises, I’ll pick up a D850. The Z system is out for me, for now (or whichever system I end up choosing: all new glass = lots of choice…) I have a hate-hate a lot relationship with mirrorless SLRs mainly due to lag. That’ll clear up, but until it does… the X100V suffers a bit from this but it’s a quick n dirty well-focussed device (and one I’d replace with a Q some day)

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Nice and consistent. Apologies as what follows is of no value to anyone, a mere moment of curiosity for myself.

Ouch. I took a look at my numbers in the metadata of my catalogue and I have shot with 53 (and owned - no one gives out freebies) different digital camera models in the past 14 years taking 75K images.

That is NOT a good number and is very very indicative of my early quest to improve my images through technology purchases instead of being consistent and learning my tool like you seem to have.

What is interesting though is that I thought I was most active on the Sonys but turns out I shot more (quantity not quality of course) during my Fuji phase.
Think of the Porsche’s you could have bought!

• Haha
Reactions: kenoh

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Hardly ever use my iPhone for anything other than reference photos. I simply don’t enjoy the process of taking photos on a smartphone.
I prefer the slowing down and isolating myself of using a real camera.
Been shooting with a D750 for years. Collection of lenses in signature. Also have a D7100 which I use on occasion.
In no rush to get anything else.
Although I did see a Z6 MKII on Amazon for less than we buy them at work today (I work in the industry). But I was looking for work not a personal purchase.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
When the wife and kids left a year ago, I sold my Canon 10D. Older model obviously. Low mega pixel. Haven't replaced it since I have nothing exciting to take pictures of. :(

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
“Mostly” is the problem. I shoot with my iPhone all the time. I shoot with my dSLRs (and X100V) when I have a specific photo idea in mind. I even have film cameras still. They get even less use but are still on duty in B&W.

I will be upgrading to the iPhone Pro this autumn and getting a camera grip to replace the always left-behind 1” camera (I sold it years ago; love the idea but it’s now so impractical, relatively, that I’d just take a dedicated camera instead).

If I ever save up the money and can justify it to myself, I’ll pick up a Q3 Monochrom (once they release one, of course). I really believe it would become my go-to camera for >50% of my photography

edit: I have a D700 and D750 with a sizeable collection of lenses, mostly primes. If a good opportunity arises, I’ll pick up a D850. The Z system is out for me, for now (or whichever system I end up choosing: all new glass = lots of choice…) I have a hate-hate a lot relationship with mirrorless SLRs mainly due to lag. That’ll clear up, but until it does… the X100V suffers a bit from this but it’s a quick n dirty well-focussed device (and one I’d replace with a Q some day)
A Q3 Monochrome would be lovely. Their monochrom bodies have always been exceptional, whether M or Q.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
When the wife and kids left a year ago, I sold my Canon 10D. Older model obviously. Low mega pixel. Haven't replaced it since I have nothing exciting to take pictures of. :(
i’m married with kids at home and rarely shoot them. i’m so sorry your life circumstances have changed, but there are so many lovely things to photograph that don’t involve people. ❤️

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
I voted "real camera" because when I take my camera with me (Canon EOS 850 + different sized lenses) I take a lot of pictures and I overall prefer taking pictures with it over the phone.
With the Canon I take mostly macro shots or shots of animals (for which I mainly use a hefty tele lens so I don't have to get too close).

On the other hand, my iPhone 11 is almost always with me - but I mostly take pictures of stuff that's close to me.

So overall, the phone is a "spur of the moment" device, whereas the "real" camera is the "I'm going outside with the intention of taking pictures" thing.

While the quality of pictures coming off of phones these days is very high, there are (in my experience) certain things about the processing that's done to the images that result in a "strange" specific look that you don't get with a DSLR or a mirrorless "real" camera.
Bear in mind I can only speak to what the iPhone 11 does, but the portrait mode DOF is also quite wonky at times.

The old "the best camera is the one you have with you" holds true, though. I can't tell how many times I was out without any camera and I could have kicked myself for it :p

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Besides things for several scenarios already pointed out here: I sometimes take photographs of people I find interesting in the street and find it much easier when I approach them and ask wether they would agree to that, if I carry and use a camera and not a phone.
There is probably some psychology involved here - using a camera gives the impression of being more committed or even professional, I guess, and people tend to agree to having a few photos taken quite often. I tried a few times when I had only my phone on me, but found that the threshold to get people to agree seems to be higher. YMMV. 🤓

Technically I could probably take these kind of photos with a decent phone too, and I often do with the phone of the people for them after I took 2-3 shots with my camera (I usually offer to mail the photo I took). But then additionally I find using a mobile display to preview and roughly composite a photo when you are outside to be quite inferior to a view finder on a camera - again YMMV.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
[...] if you are trying to take a picture of a small bird with your iPhone it’s pointless. Just take a camera if you’re doing photography. Or don’t.
I would agree with you there. If there's a bird far away (which is why I have the big lens) then the iPhone doesn't help.
You might get a picture to prove you've seen the bird, though :p

I think the idea with that saying is more that there are moments when you can't be bothered to take your proper equipment because you don't expect to be taking pictures or there's no room in the bag or God knows what... and then you're in a situation where you want to take one after all. In a situation like that it may well be better to "just" have the iPhone handy.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I would agree with you there. If there's a bird far away (which is why I have the big lens) then the iPhone doesn't help.
You might get a picture to prove you've seen the bird, though :p

I think the idea with that saying is more that there are moments when you can't be bothered to take your proper equipment because you don't expect to be taking pictures or there's no room in the bag or God knows what... and then you're in a situation where you want to take one after all. In a situation like that it may well be better to "just" have the iPhone handy.
Even at that, let's say I go out specifically to photograph and, for what I expect to be doing, I have the 24-70 on my main body and 14-24 on a second body(or some configuration covering roughly that focal length range).

Chances are good I'm not going to get too many bird photographs with that set-up, even though I doubt there would be any question I had a real camera(or two) with me.

Yes, I could pack the 70-200, which is serviceable for close and/or large birds in a pinch. It's a lens I love using but I have to be in the right mindset for it. Aside from that, it's just a little too tall for my favorite bag and the one I'm most comfortable using, so carrying that lens throws a wrench into the works especially if I plan to be walking around a lot. I did take a bag a few weeks ago that had all three of the f/2.8 zooms in it. Admittedly I also had three bodies packed(D5, D850, D810) and a 50mm f/1.4. Fortunately I was mostly going to be in a single(large) room so was able to leave it in the center and just go back and grab what was needed as needed. Otherwise, I'd have been in bad shape at the end of the day after carrying that bag around.

I have a whole lot of equipment at home, and it all gets used as the situation warrants it, but I realized a long time ago that less is more when I'm out actually using the stuff. I take what I expect to need and no more. With that said, I've definitely come to appreciate using a second body as I've lost plenty of time in the past messing around changing lenses when it's so much faster to just grab your second camera with the lens you need.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Even at that, let's say I go out specifically to photograph and, for what I expect to be doing, I have the 24-70 on my main body and 14-24 on a second body(or some configuration covering roughly that focal length range).

Chances are good I'm not going to get too many bird photographs with that set-up, even though I doubt there would be any question I had a real camera(or two) with me.

Yes, I could pack the 70-200, which is serviceable for close and/or large birds in a pinch. It's a lens I love using but I have to be in the right mindset for it. Aside from that, it's just a little too tall for my favorite bag and the one I'm most comfortable using, so carrying that lens throws a wrench into the works especially if I plan to be walking around a lot. I did take a bag a few weeks ago that had all three of the f/2.8 zooms in it. Admittedly I also had three bodies packed(D5, D850, D810) and a 50mm f/1.4. Fortunately I was mostly going to be in a single(large) room so was able to leave it in the center and just go back and grab what was needed as needed. Otherwise, I'd have been in bad shape at the end of the day after carrying that bag around.

I have a whole lot of equipment at home, and it all gets used as the situation warrants it, but I realized a long time ago that less is more when I'm out actually using the stuff. I take what I expect to need and no more. With that said, I've definitely come to appreciate using a second body as I've lost plenty of time in the past messing around changing lenses when it's so much faster to just grab your second camera with the lens you need.
If you make the effort to bring the camera, you can guarantee you pack the wrong lens! It’s a given.
Sometimes I miss the days when I just had two lenses. It was easy then.
Now there are too many choices!

I know. First world problems!

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
If you shoot with an iPhone, which iPhone are you shooting with, and what apps do you use?

If you use a “real” camera, what body/lens do you tend to use?
Guess I could have expanded.

iPhone 11 Pro Max. I switch off between the stock app and Moment to shoot RAW. Any editing I do is in DarkRoom.

Pentax K70. Primarily I use the D/AL 35mm f2.4 that came with it but I have a manual 50mm f2 and an old Soligor 105mm that I use as well, depending.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
A lot of times I don't have to go anywhere to get interesting shots of birds: I just look out my kitchen window, see birds in the water or perched on the decorative/protective chains on the pier. If something interesting is going on I drop whatever I'm doing in the kitchen and grab the camera and appropriate lens from the cabinet and hustle out to the deck to get some shots. Normally I store the lenses and camera bodies separately (everybody having the appropriate protective caps, of course) and then choose the lens that I need for whatever I'm about to shoot.

Recently I decided to try something that a friend has mentioned, simply keeping one of the long lenses on the A1 body all the time. The other day I thought, "I mostly use the 100-400mm on the A1 anyway, why not just keep it on there, see how that goes?" So far I've found that indeed, that does save a little time, whether I'm in a hurry or not, to just be able to reach in the cabinet, grab the A1 with lens attached and then carry on with shooting.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I never shoot anything with an iPhone (and, when at home, rarely take my phone with me when out and about); thus, when I shoot anything - which is rare enough these days - I shoot with film, with a Leica M6, and a few Summilux lenses; I also have a rather nice Leica R7 that I must disinter and resurrect.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
A lot of times I don't have to go anywhere to get interesting shots of birds: I just look out my kitchen window, see birds in the water or perched on the decorative/protective chains on the pier. If something interesting is going on I drop whatever I'm doing in the kitchen and grab the camera and appropriate lens from the cabinet and hustle out to the deck to get some shots. Normally I store the lenses and camera bodies separately (everybody having the appropriate protective caps, of course) and then choose the lens that I need for whatever I'm about to shoot.

Recently I decided to try something that a friend has mentioned, simply keeping one of the long lenses on the A1 body all the time. The other day I thought, "I mostly use the 100-400mm on the A1 anyway, why not just keep it on there, see how that goes?" So far I've found that indeed, that does save a little time, whether I'm in a hurry or not, to just be able to reach in the cabinet, grab the A1 with lens attached and then carry on with shooting.
Most of the time I do that. 200-500mm is on the D7100. 105mm macro is on the D750.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
The 90mm macro pretty much lives on the A7R V but since I do have other macro lenses that I use on it, too, I will continue to leave the A7R V with its body cap while in the cabinet, as usually I'm not in any hurry when I'm shooting macro anyway, and I also do use other lenses on that camera body as well -- it's my "general-purpose" body, while the A1 is my speed demon.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Saw a mirror less Canon for $599
Canon T7 with 2 lenses and bag about $550. No swivel display though.
You can always opt for used/second hand as well.

I have bought the vast majority of my cameras this that way. In fact before starting to build my Fuji system, buying new was unthinkable. The only reason I have bought a lot of that new is because availability is not great second hand at least for what I was looking at nor were prices.

If looking at a DSLR, though, prices right now are really kind of crazy low. I should say rather that they are for Nikon F mount, but I'd not be surprised if EF mount was the same story. More recently, I've bought a fair bit from B&H, and a lot of the used gear I get from them comes boxed and would pass for new absent inspection with a magnifying glass. I have bought a lot from KEH as "Bargain" grade, though, which is basically used but not abused and working perfectly condition. It's mostly been great, and they've taken care of me when it wasn't. I bought my D800 from a local store with 150,000 shutter actuations, and the stop down lever broke the first time I used it. The shop split the repair bill with me by mutual agreement since the repair was involved enough that I opted to have them refurbish to as-new mechanical condition.

Point in all of this is you have options, and even within a given budget buying second hand can often get you into higher tier cameras(especially if you're willing to go a generation or two older).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.