Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you mostly shoot with?

• Total voters

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
On the GFX I can change the film sim through the Q button which I find pretty fast. I think it's the same on the X100V, but they are named differently and I haven't read the manual thoroughly enough to figure them out.
I'll have to try that on the X-T5 as that would free up that button for something else! I haven't looked at the Q menu that much on it, but I know it can do a lot.

Reactions: mollyc

_timo_redux_

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
New York City
Ouch. I took a look at my numbers in the metadata of my catalogue and I have shot with 53 (and owned - no one gives out freebies) different digital camera models in the past 14 years taking 75K images.

That is NOT a good number and is very very indicative of my early quest to improve my images through technology purchases instead of being consistent and learning my tool like you seem to have.

I noticed something similar awhile back, so I started keeping track of how much I used each body and crudely assign a value to each. It's helped me not justify many temptations since, though of course even with that check the amount of money spent is sobering.

_timo_redux_

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
New York City
My biggest complaint about switching Nikon bodies is that Nikon never seems to leave the buttons in the same place. I never was comfortable shooting the D700 and D800 together because the WB and ISO buttons got swapped. And then the Z cameras are completely different altogether. Luckily the Z cameras made the most sense for me in terms of handling and button placement. I tried to set up my Fuji body to be similar since the controls are so mappable on Fuji bodies.
I have had an analogous problem. Somehow after crunching my Canon into my bag, it somehow changed all the fussy focus and whatnot settings ... stuff I'd carefully set up with the advice of some You Tube video I can't remember. The point is I got used to one set of quirks, and now, all of a sudden, enough buttons/rings didn't seem to do the same thing.

On the to-do list is to find that video again, or buy the Rocky Nook cheat-sheet booklet.

Reactions: mollyc

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I have had an analogous problem. Somehow after crunching my Canon into my bag, it somehow changed all the fussy focus and whatnot settings ... stuff I'd carefully set up with the advice of some You Tube video I can't remember. The point is I got used to one set of quirks, and now, all of a sudden, enough buttons/rings didn't seem to do the same thing.

On the to-do list is to find that video again, or buy the Rocky Nook cheat-sheet booklet.
oh what a pain! i hope you get it sorted soon.

rotvaldi

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2023
I use iPhone stock camera app for Nights and for daily basis ProCamera App by Cocologics, with all features purchased

person s

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2005
I use an iphone 12 Pro Max which is fantastic - previous phone was an X which was good too
my main real camera is a Sony A7ii, with backup from a Sony NEX6 which I originally bought for my spouse but I mostly use
I have a Minolta background including 5D and 7D bodies and lenses from both the AF and MF systems - lots of stuff to carry around
we’ve recently done 6 weeks in the USA and Italy and I just had the A7ii and a 24-70 Zeiss lens
with all the ancient stuff I felt the need for a wider angle lens but the phone worked well for some of that

Last edited:

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I love my Olympus OM-D EM 1, but like a lot of others I often end up shooting with my iPhone because it's what I've got with me and it's generally "good enough." I am pleasantly impressed with the image quality from the Olympus when I actually use it, and the image stabilization is insanely good. As for the lens, I'm mostly using a 25mm ƒ1.8 Olympus prime lens (that's a 50 mm equivalent because of the crop factor of the micro 4/3 format). It's a very compact little mirrorless setup and I love it.

What I really appreciate is a way to get away from the aggressive over-processing I see with the iPhone in some situations. "Golden hour" portraits on the iPhone often look totally bizarre as the thing tries to wildly even out all the tones (or something). I wish there was some way to dial back the HDR stuff on the iPhone without having to resort to a third-party app.

As far as file management, I just drop all the JPEGs from the Olympus into Photos and that's that. If I think about it I'll geo-tag them since my camera doesn't have GPS, but it's not crucial. Sometimes I'll snap a couple photos with my iPhone at the same time just to put a pin in the location if I go looking back later. I then edit down my photos later on my iPhone or laptop once it's synced up with iCloud.

I shoot in RAW+JPEG, but generally throw out all but a few of the RAW files. If I do "remaster" a photo with RAW, I save it back out as a JPEG and put it into Photos -- and then keep the RAW in a Finder folder as a digital negative in case I want to go back to it later. But that's for like 1 out of every few hundred photos I take.

Last edited:
Reactions: cjgrif

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
If you shoot with an iPhone, which iPhone are you shooting with, and what apps do you use?

If you use a “real” camera, what body/lens do you tend to use?
Nikon Z7, 14-24, 24-120, 28prime, 85p, 400…
Sold my Leica & it paid for all of it + some. & the Nik does a better job in practically every way.

Still, about half my shots come from an old Nikonos V (35p), since it goes where no other devices go, being pretty much universe-proof. Slides are like beautiful little jewels.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I'm going to start shooting again, soon.

It's been many years since I've been out (I'm a street photographer.)

Sold all of my good gear, years ago, so I'm going to start with my iPhone 14 Pro Max, to see what I can get with it. I'm looking forward to seeing what I come up with.
Sounds like a plan. Be sure to share some pictures when you get them so we can enjoy them too.

• Love
Reactions: The Cockney Rebel

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK

I really get annoyed at myself when I forget the secret masonic handshake to get the setting I want on a camera. lol. I feel you pain.

Reactions: _timo_redux_

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Well, I'll be the first to chime with a digital camera that doesn't have a separate body and lens! 📷

Give me a good old fashioned, low-end, Canon pocket-sized travel zoom — I need the 20-60x for bird photography! Something that iPhones still cannot handle. 🦅 60 ❌ ‼️

I also like on-the-fly shutter speed control — capture hummingbirds, squirrel antics, and birds in flight — and the manual mode and controls for other daytime photos.

Then, there's night sky photography. For that, I use a different, quite old, digicam with CCD — the Canon A650. It has a fully adjustable, flip-tilt screen for readily pointing the camera to the right part of the sky and still seeing what's up without having to kneel or bend one's neck.

For wide field constellation photos, I need full manual control with user selectable long exposure and high ISO. The A650 even has a custom setting where all my preferred night sky settings are saved. 🌟 🌌 Its CCD and Canon's algorithms render star colors well.

For sure, if I didn't have an iPad and my phone needs were other than basic (= 📞), I'd get an iPhone model with night mode! Although that still wouldn‘t provide the needed zoom and full range of controls.

A basic flip phone is really all I need — and all I used for years. But I picked up a 2016 iPhone SE for the very rare times I want Car Play and navigation. 📱 🚗 But the phone is almost alway turned off and in my pocket. It'd be of no use, anyway, for capturing birds in nearby trees or close-ups of them at a feeder.

Just shows how different people's interest and photography needs are.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
No phone photos , I've got a flip phone for the few times I need a cell phone .Cameras - Panasonic G9 , usually w/ a PL12-60 or 14-140 . Or maybe a Leica M9 w/ a 35/2 or Medium Angle Tri-Elmar , or (not often ) a Canon 6D2 . Plus some film stuff and oddities from way back .

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Exclusively on iPhone since a few years now as I sold my “real” camera and challenged myself to be a phone photography enthusiast embracing the limitations come with smartphone cameras.

It’s hard to say which iPhone because over the years it would be different models. At present it’s the iPhone 14 Pro Max.

I use various apps depending on how I want to touch up the photos.

- Most of the times I use the official photos app to adjust the colours and white balance at present since Apple has made it available.

- At times I use Focos for adjustment of the depth / focus.

- Snapseed when I want to edit a bit more than the basics.

- Retouch to remove objects / people from pictures.

- LD very rarely when I need to add extra elements in the picture like a light source etc.

Last edited:

KaiFiMacFan

Suspended
Apr 28, 2023
Brooklyn, NY
I mostly just use my iPhone (13 Pro). I use the default Camera app, but shoot in RAW because I can't stand the default over-processing.

I used to own a "real camera", but I found myself no longer using it after a while. I was mostly into high-end compact cameras as a teenager (the expensive DSLR or mirrorless with a ton of lenses was something I never got into), but once those fell out of favor, I lost interest in photography outside of phones.

I may decide to get back into it some day, but it's not too likely. I travel a lot and so my primary interest is photos taken on those travels, and the iPhone seems to be capable enough of this. (In middle school I did learn how to use an old-school camera and develop B&W photos in a darkroom, and I loved it for the two years I took the class, but that never went beyond a temporary hobby for me).

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
If you shoot with an iPhone, which iPhone are you shooting with, and what apps do you use?

If you use a “real” camera, what body/lens do you tend to use?

The iPhone is the phone I always have with me. For pro level work, I have a Sony A7r IV. I do mostly video but occasionally do some photo work and have the camera for work with a few non-profits. I use my Sony and Zeiss lenses for photo as well but my basic photo lens is the Sony 24-70 f4. I also have a f2.8 and even some T 1.2 or 1.4.

Depends on the need. Most of my photos are people and at f4.

H_D

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2021
I should shoot more on my iP14pro, as it is a great camera, but it always feels like too many people do that all the time and so start to feel awkward, so I use the camera less and less, probably in a stupid and unconscious gesture, similar to not listening to a good Alternative band once they go mainstream ;-). I should change that. When shooting iP I use the standard camera in b/w mode as that is utterly nice, still love Hipstamatic, also use Halide and Focos and Lightroom when shooting a bit more intentionally.

But in terms of quantity, as I shoot about a thousand RAW pet job, I do much more work on DSLR/DSLM. Used Canon for two decades and switched to Nikon 850 and now Z7II, which basically is a very remixed Sony. I use these with the usual three 2,8 Zooms from 14 to 200 and love many aspects of the Z7II, which, with the Z-lenses and new firmware is a great cam. The only drawback as with all DSLM is that there is a lag between EVF and real world that still makes the 850 give a more acute sense of getting the right moment.

Oh — and there is my fun camera, a PenF that shows its age by now, Steven year is much for a digital system and the EVF and AF suck noodles, but is still so much fun in terms of size, fun, lenses. It’s a great camera, full of good ideas, sense of design, so many small details gotten just right. Shame about what happens with Olympus. Still use this on all holidays as it is such a charismatic camera.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I like the slim form factor of the iPhone , having had lots of 35mm slr’s , canons , I really appreciate how all this tech is in something you can slip in a pocket

Never ceases to amaze me with its quality

This pretty much explains my joy of using a clunky camera. I work in tech, pretty much everything in our world has a CPU inside it so I find it quite nice to use things engineered without a CPU or technology changing the way it is used. I am a nerd and enjoy thinking about "how does that work"? - I know, I need to get a life.

Fountain pens, mechanical watches etc. The iphone really is an incredible device isn't it? but for me personally I enjoy a time out from it to play in the immersive experience of my eye to a viewfinder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.