Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Every phone since the 13 has been an S model.
If it wasn’t for screen scratches, battery wear, and the upgrade program, there is no reason to “upgrade”.
Depends what you use the device for. They’re no longer just phones any more, they’re pocket computers (for a lot of people now, their phone is the primary device) - and if you work with video a lot the Pros likely make sense.

if you don’t - they don’t.

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2009
Depends what you use the device for. They’re no longer just phones any more, they’re pocket computers (for a lot of people now, their phone is the primary device) - and if you work with video a lot the Pros likely make sense.

if you don’t - they don’t.
The pro’s make sense, for sure… but still fall into the “S” category as far as impact. These changes are realized by what percent of the people who actually buy them? Less than 10% I’d bet.

The incremental “upgrades” and save it for later hold-back upgrades to lower models, due to lack of remaining tweaks for the design, is glaring.

These phones should be getting cheaper also, not more expensive or remaining the same. They haven’t had to change much of the assembly line in years.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
The S terminology isn’t relevant anymore. Apple moved away from that naming convention and it’s been many years now since they’ve used it. It’s really just worth it to ask, is this year’s model enough of an upgrade from what I have now to justify upgrading?
Apple just makes every iPhone an S model now :)

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
That would imply we will be stuck with the 15 Pro design for the next few years or so. I don’t believe that. I think a brand new form factor is coming next year.

Larger in size with a fourth camera like Samsung. So the Camera array changes along with the form. The previous phones will start to look old. That is the big upgrade.

Reactions: darthbane2k

applepotato666

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2016
It's the 6th S to the iPhone X. These days it's less of a sudden shift in form factor and design and more cumulative upgrades that are nice to have and enough of them accumulate over the course of 4-5 years to justify an upgrade for most people. Since the X it's mostly hardware improvements or stylistic choices mandating changes in the iPhone X type of blueprint for this industrial design and I don't see that changing.

Now it's all about optimizing cost of production, processes and materials, while reducing R&D costs and funding the next big thing, I don't think we'll be using iPhones in 10 years. Or perhaps we might be attached to them still because we're used to them but the younger generations may not.

Last edited:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
These phones should be getting cheaper also, not more expensive or remaining the same. They haven’t had to change much of the assembly line in years.

Now you’re just talking garbage. Moving to different materials, different internal design - just for the enclosure, never mind that the bulk of the expense is in cutting edge fabrication process for the SOC.

The iphone 12, 13, 14 or 15 in your pocket is more powerful than most business laptops sold 2-3 years ago. In something the size of your pocket. With battery life that lasts all day during normal use.

Modern smartphones - ALL OF THEM, not just Apple’s - are incredible feats of engineering and pushing the boundaries of what is possible. That’s why they’re expensive. R&D to develop the SOCs that perform at this level is not free.

mcmanus7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
I think the move from 14 Pro to 15 Pro is the biggest update that a Pro model has received from one year to the other outside the jump in camera from 13 Pro to 14 Pro. Generally it has been slightly better camera, slightly faster chipset but overall not a big change.

Different body material, "new" charging/data port, new action button to me isn't something that would have happened between a normal launch and an S launch.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
They removed the S model back then, but it always seem to be in between major upgrades. Been reading some stuff in Youtube comments and in Reddit that 15 feels like an S type of an upgrade.

Do you agree to this? Or was 14 the S?
Regarding the non-Pro line, the 14 was the S. The 15 is a bigger leap year to year.

EedyBeedyBeeps

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
USA
Didn't the S indicate "Speed" back when it was first announced with the 3GS (back in the olden days 😉)? Per wikipedia, it was 50% faster than the 3G.

However, S stood for Siri with the 4S...?

Anyway, I think I agree with the idea that S years indicated under-the-hood enhancements without accompanying design changes to the form of the iPhones. I think the 15 and 15 Pro count as design changes, at least in Apple's eyes, so this year would not be an S year.

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2009
Now you’re just talking garbage. Moving to different materials, different internal design - just for the enclosure, never mind that the bulk of the expense is in cutting edge fabrication process for the SOC.

The iphone 12, 13, 14 or 15 in your pocket is more powerful than most business laptops sold 2-3 years ago. In something the size of your pocket. With battery life that lasts all day during normal use.

Modern smartphones - ALL OF THEM, not just Apple’s - are incredible feats of engineering and pushing the boundaries of what is possible. That’s why they’re expensive. R&D to develop the SOCs that perform at this level is not free.
Garbage? I think that’s what I just read.
You had to talk about laptops from 2-3 years ago to defend Apple for sticking us with the same phone for 3 years in a row. Changing a camera (within the same real estate), or filling extra gaps in the same housing with more battery they got by shrinking down a chip. Most of this stuff is outsourced and they get deals by committing to purchasing all of these other companies products for multiple years out. They also probably hold a gun to these companies head by threatening to take it all in house for better rates. Smart, but it is what it is, all leads this years “best iPhone we have ever produced”.
Granted, the new tech took R&D and some minor tweaks but changing an alloy, swapping a switch for a button, swapping a usb for lightning, that’s all when you are still running the same chassis and requires very little Change to manufacturing, assembly, supply lines, import/export, boxes, etc.

You are eating it up also. They are going to make billions on cables and usbc - lightning connectors. 😂 Billions! So they can’t make a cheaper phone? Huh?

Auto makers do this quite a bit - apples upgrade this year is equivalent to BMW changing the shape of the fog light (that produce the same light) and using a new formulation for the plastic bumper and adding a little more size to the air filter to help airflow. No one is running out to buy that car when they have last years, it’s the same as last years despite plenty of documented changes and tweaks. Apple die hards though will get that next phone and defend it like they went from the iPhone 4s to the 6+ max.

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2023
They removed the S model back then, but it always seem to be in between major upgrades. Been reading some stuff in Youtube comments and in Reddit that 15 feels like an S type of an upgrade.

Do you agree to this? Or was 14 the S?

15 pro is only 14.1 pro

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
No, S models never had any updates to the industrial design of the device except to add/remove colors and finishes.

S upgrade never would’ve seen a change in materials or phone dimensions like the 15 Pro.

I would say that the 5s and the addition of Touch ID vs the iPhone 5 lack of biometric was a big design change for me.

Also, the iPhone 6s material was upgraded to the stronger 7000 series aluminum vs the 6000 series aluminum used in the iPhone 6, despite not being advertised by Apple. Possibly a response to all the commotion brought up by “flexgate” and how the thinner 6 and 6 plus were bending more easily in people’s pockets

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.