Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I know Apple has launched a few products recently and then stopped making them. The 12" MacBook comes to mind. I don't want to buy a product that may get discontinued around the corner. So, I am wondering if the Mac Studio is popular or not, and if it's selling in the quantities they expected?

Based on one report, the Mac Studio makes up a very small percentage of Mac desktop sales, but it is the functional replacement for the iMac 5K (and I do not believe Apple is planning to release a larger iMac than the 24") so I see no reason for Apple to discontinue it even if it does sell relatively low volumes.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

ewitte

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2024
Hi Ryan, that's a very good reason. I think most of us are on tight budgets these days! I would suggest looking at Apple's refurbished store..... not sure how trustworthy stuff from E-Bay or Carousell is! Good luck.
Microcenter today at least has NEW base Studios for 1799, if you have their card it is 1709. Didn't look to see what else they had the advertisement was 10% off Apple computers.

• Wow

ryan101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
I think when I buy i will get 64 GB RAM at least. I don’t like slow computers. I spent on average 30 hours a weemk in front of a computer and you don’t want to be frustrated when you are spending this amount of time. Its like a taxi driver needing a reliable car. If its the tool of your trade then you need it to be reliable. I upgraded my 2012 iMac to 32 GB a few years ago. I know I am not making the most of this power, but I prefer that to get frustrated on tasks.

ewitte

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2024
I think when I buy i will get 64 GB RAM at least. I don’t like slow computers. I spent on average 30 hours a weemk in front of a computer and you don’t want to be frustrated when you are spending this amount of time. Its like a taxi driver needing a reliable car. If its the tool of your trade then you need it to be reliable. I upgraded my 2012 iMac to 32 GB a few years ago. I know I am not making the most of this power, but I prefer that to get frustrated on tasks.
I would definitely if it were my primary machine. Though with what testing I did do, 32GB has surprised me, even doing things I was avoiding before. May actually take effort to push memory pressure to yellow. Not 100% sure yet because I haven't fixed my parallels license yet. I don't *need* parallels though I have my main app that doesn't support OSX running in Wine, I have a hyperviser server with 64GB and Windows 11 on optane drives, a real PC with 64GB and RTX 4090, etc.

EDIT: interestingly I was pushing 50-60% memory pressure after a day of normal usage (frequently closing apps I wasn't using) with a 16GB m2 pro, but only hit 18% after a days usage on 32GB Studio and I have quite a bit more open...

Last edited:

ryan101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
I bought the Mac Studio M2 Ultra (new, via eBay). Because it was new and auction, I was a bit puzzled. I hope to receive it in a day or two. The seller wasn't answering any questions prior to sale. However, he/she has a perfect rating and seems to sell a lot of tech, mainly Apple I think. However, something did puzzle me so I have emailed them.

The Mac Studio M2 Ultra base unit spec's are:
M2 Ultra Chip
24-Core CPU
60-Core GPU
32-Core Neural Engine
64GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage

On his listing description, the RAM and SSD is the same, but he wrote:
12-core CPU and NOT 24 as it should be
38-core GPU and NOT 60-Core GPU as it should be
16-core Neural Engine and NOT 32-Core Neural Engine as it should be

I thought it might be a typing error or copy/paste error. Anyway, I have emailed them. But is there an Mac Studio M2 Ultra with the specs he/she wrote, or does such a model exist?

Lastly, I am a bit unhappy that I had to call it a day with my iMac even though performance is excellent. Because its a 2012 with Catelina, many of the new apps I am buying won't install. Maybe I am being cynical, I often feel they do this on purpose. It was just getting a bit frustrating not being able to install some apps I want.

Thanks.

ewitte

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2024

I thought it might be a typing error or copy/paste error. Anyway, I have emailed them. But is there an Mac Studio M2 Ultra with the specs he/she wrote, or does such a model exist?
Those are M2 Max specs, the slightly upgraded one.

ryan101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Those are M2 Max specs, the slightly upgraded one.
You could be right.

However, he has clearly written its an Ultra on title and description. And when I search for the model number he included, which is: MQH63B/A, on Google it comes with Ultra results.

Anyway, he seems to have an eBay account with many years of positive feedback. I am hoping its typo or a mistake.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
I bought the Mac Studio M2 Ultra (new, via eBay). Because it was new and auction, I was a bit puzzled. I hope to receive it in a day or two. The seller wasn't answering any questions prior to sale. However, he/she has a perfect rating and seems to sell a lot of tech, mainly Apple I think. However, something did puzzle me so I have emailed them.

The Mac Studio M2 Ultra base unit spec's are:
M2 Ultra Chip
24-Core CPU
60-Core GPU
32-Core Neural Engine
64GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage

Lastly, I am a bit unhappy that I had to call it a day with my iMac even though performance is excellent. Because its a 2012 with Catelina, many of the new apps I am buying won't install. Maybe I am being cynical, I often feel they do this on purpose. It was just getting a bit frustrating not being able to install some apps I want.

Thanks.

That’ not a typo, that’s fraud, especially when they don’t answer to questions before the sale. I read that ratings can be bought or old unused accounts with good ratings can be hijacked.

If you’re lucky you get an Ultra for the price of Max. If not you get a Max for the price of Ultra.

Last edited:

ryan101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
That’ not a typo, that’s fraud, especially when they don’t answer to questions before the sale. I read that ratings can be bought or old unused accounts with good ratings can be hijacked.

If you’re lucky you get an Ultra for the price of Max. If not you get a Max for the price of Ultra.

I hope for my sake that you are wrong. I have sent 2 messages so far, no answer, yet. But it's the Easter Weekend so I am trying to be kind. It also states 30 day returns. And as I have emailed multiple times prior to despatch, I am hoping it's an innocent mistake and if it doesn't match description then eBay should refund. Even under the UK law (I assume other countries have similar policies) it would be mis-selling under trade descriptions etc. That's my very basic knowledge. I'll update you guys soon. I hope it's not one of those "if it sounds too good to be true.... stories."
:)

ryan101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Update, a strange thing. This seller has still not responded to my messages or dispatched the item. The listing has a 30 day refund policy. The item was supposed to arrive at my place today. But it still has not been dispatched. So, I have to wait a few days until I raise a refund request through eBay, as their polciy means you have to wait X amount of days. I am not sure I want it anymore even if its an Ultra because it makes me uncomfortable to have a sellers who is this unresponsive.

Anyway, I think if it is a genuine Ultra, he may have got less money then he expected, as he listed with no reserve, so there is a chance that that being unresponsive means buyer will cancel the sale. I am guessing this could be one thing that could be happening. Not sure what to make of it at the moment.

ryan101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Sounds similar to this listing from Amazon (not marketplace)....:oops:
M2 Max base model £4000.....🤣
I blame AI

Hi Mark, I am not sure what to make of it. But the listing I bought from clearly states M2 ULTRA, please see attached screenshot. I have hidden some info that could identify the seller or me - as I don't want to tarnish someone's reputation until I am 100% sure. Hopefully there is an innocent reason - but it better be good reason!

m2-mac-studio-ultra.jpg

ryan101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
One other thing. I am confused by the listing you shared. It says M2 Max with 32GB RAM and 512SSD and the price is £4,052.90. However, that model normally costs £2,100 on the Apple Store directly. Did I miss something? It's the M2 Ultra that costs about £4,100 in the UK. No idea what that is in USD.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
Hi Mark, I am not sure what to make of it. But the listing I bought from clearly states M2 ULTRA, please see attached screenshot. I have hidden some info that could identify the seller or me - as I don't want to tarnish someone's reputation until I am 100% sure. Hopefully there is an innocent reason - but it better be good reason!
That's far too cheap for an Ultra, especially one that claims to be new.

I have sent 2 messages so far, no answer, yet
*ding ding*

That's the alarm bells ringing.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
One other thing. I am confused by the listing you shared. It says M2 Max with 32GB RAM and 512SSD and the price is £4,052.90. However, that model normally costs £2,100 on the Apple Store directly. Did I miss something? It's the M2 Ultra that costs about £4,100 in the UK. No idea what that is in USD.
That was my point....;)
Amazon are selling M2 Max base for Ultra price.

So something is definitely amiss.

Last edited:

ryan101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
I agree with both of you. Something doesn't add up. I'll explain why. Firstly, it was on a starting bid of about £,1500 or something like that with no reserve. I sold my Harley many years ago through eBay, and I know to have a reserve on a high value item because they can sometimes go way below. I felt this could go like that, so I put an alarm on and only bid in the last minute. I felt others may be doing the same. I felt I would have paid a bit less if I waited a few more seconds. Anyway....

He listed with 30 day money back guarantee with eBay buyer protection. Plus he listed it as "New." He wasn't ambiguous like refurbished or used like new or some other words which have vague meaning. So, I thought worst-case scenarion if it doesn't match description I get a refund.

So, I am as puzzled as you are. I am normally suspicioucious of scams. I hate selling on eBay, but I never mind buying on there as I feel "normally" buyers get a fair amount of protection. So, if this is a scam, I am trying to figure out what it is? Because I started the eBay not received claim, which gives him 3 days under the buyer protection. So, I am genuinely puzzled. I would have preffered to receive it.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Perhaps they posted a bunch of listings and just messed this one up. Once it has a bid, you cannot change any of the details so if they did inadvertently list an Ultra with the price of a Max, my guess is they decided to just not communicate and let the buyer (you) cancel the transaction via eBay's process.

Schnitzel1979

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2013
Hi everybody,
I just read that there is chance we will not see a M3 Ultra Mac Studio this year, because there is a high selling of the laptop branch. I hope this is not true. I am very exiting of a M3 Ultra Mac Studio which would replace my 8 year old Macbook Pro 13 Inch. What do you think ?
Have a nice weekend !
Best regards,
Schnitzel

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Evidently the M3 MAX does not have the UltraFusion interposer so there is a belief that M3 ULTRA could be its own unique SoC and not just two MAX connected by UF. So that means ULTRA could have significantly more performance cores and perhaps GPU cores and even higher memory bandwidth.

Of course, this will all add design and manufacturing cost so the BTO upgrade price will be even higher for the Studio (perhaps starting at $2499 instead of the current $1499). It would be interesting if Apple perhaps "baked in" that higher price with the Mac Studio in the expectation of M3 ULTRA and it would keep the $6999 entry price when it is updated to M3.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Evidently the M3 MAX does not have the UltraFusion interposer so there is a belief that M3 ULTRA could be its own unique SoC and not just two MAX connected by UF. So that means ULTRA could have significantly more performance cores and perhaps GPU cores and even higher memory bandwidth.

Of course, this will all add design and manufacturing cost so the BTO upgrade price will be even higher for the Studio (perhaps starting at $2499 instead of the current $1499). It would be interesting if Apple perhaps "baked in" that higher price with the Mac Studio in the expectation of M3 ULTRA and it would keep the $6999 entry price when it is updated to M3.
Mac Studio starts at $1999/£1999.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Mac Studio starts at $1999/£1999.

My post referenced the M2 ULTRA BTO upgrade from that base model, which is currently $1499. I expect that upgrade price to increase significantly if the M3 ULTRA is a unique SoC that offers significantly more performance than 2xM3 MAX.

ryan101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
@CWallace I thought the same as you, that maybe they are burrying their heads in the sand. I know I have similar things when I was younger. That was my initial thought process. So, reluctantly I said that I would prefer to receive it, but I am also okay to cancel it if you don't respond. Still no response. I suppose we are all guessing. We will know soon enough.

ryan101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Hi everybody,
I just read that there is chance we will not see a M3 Ultra Mac Studio this year, because there is a high selling of the laptop branch. I hope this is not true. I am very exiting of a M3 Ultra Mac Studio which would replace my 8 year old Macbook Pro 13 Inch. What do you think ?
Have a nice weekend !
Best regards,
Schnitzel
I really hope you are wrong. I was looking forward to the M3 Mac Studio. I was planning to buy the M3 Max version because of budget limits. I wasn't planning on buying the M2 version until I saw this listing. I really hope they bring the M3 out in studio, even though the price seems rediculous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.