Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UnifiedMelody

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
I would presume for long sustainability the M2 Max//M3 Max [future] would be more than sufficient.
Even ditched the whole concept of getting M2 Ultra ever since I've seen M3 Max outpace it in most relatable benchmarks

Reactions: datagov63

datagov63

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2023
I would presume for long sustainability the M2 Max//M3 Max [future] would be more than sufficient.
Even ditched the whole concept of getting M2 Ultra ever since I've seen M3 Max outpace it in most relatable benchmarks
I have the M2 MAX base system and it is already so powerful I can't imagine what else is needed in an M3 MAX. There is absolutely no lag or speed missing and it's dead silent and looks nice on the desktop.

ryan101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
I have the M2 MAX base system and it is already so powerful I can't imagine what else is needed in an M3 MAX. There is absolutely no lag or speed missing and it's dead silent and looks nice on the desktop.
I would mostly agree with you. But I believe @UnifiedMelody is right, it is about sustainability. The simple fact that my Late 2012 iMac, with i7, 1TB SSD and 32 GB RAM has no performance issues in the traditional sense, the way I think of performance. But I cannot update the OS, and I cannot install my apps, which is making it frustrating. I also have to use an older version of Safari. I already own a 14" MBP. But on an everyday basis I prefer a desktop computer its much better for you.

You always have a choice, at the same time you don't. If I want to keep using the latest apps I must upgrade. I have had value out of it in many ways, so just over a decades use. But it's got so much more life left in it. I hate the fact that we live in such disposable times. But I suppose I am also part of the problem. So, if I buy the latest one, it is more likely to last longer.

One last thing. What makes upgrading to the most powerful (your budget allows) essential nowadays imo is the fact that even the very expensive Mac Pro towers can no longer be upgraded. So, you are stuck with what you buy. Or you have to sell it mid way to buy a more powerful model. But logically speaking, the M2 Max Studio is going to be a bit like the human brain for most of us, only a small percentage of us will use more than a few percentage points!

Reactions: drrich2

ryan101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
A final update to all who commented on this thread. I got a reply from eBay and the seller. His account was hacked including his phone. Someone manage to defraud him of a lot of money (I think). He never had this product to sell. eBay has refunded me. So, frustrating but that's the answer to the mystery.

Geoff777

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2020
A final update to all who commented on this thread. I got a reply from eBay and the seller. His account was hacked including his phone. Someone manage to defraud him of a lot of money (I think). He never had this product to sell. eBay has refunded me. So, frustrating but that's the answer to the mystery.
I'm happy you didn't lose any money. a good result! Although not what you were hoping for, at least you haven't been scammed.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
I think it will be around for a while yet. I hope to get one this year, either a M3 or M4 or a refurb M2, I know someone who works for Apple designing chips, so can get a nice discount if he’ll help me out. Then I think I may get a 32” OLED for it.

Reactions: Lioness~

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
It will go nowhere on Tim's watch, anywhere soon.
I will upgrade my 2022 M1 Max around ~2027-29 to what Apple offer at that time.
I had my iMac 2013 in 9 yrs, but it wasn't great the latest year. But my 2018 MBA served me well at that time waiting for Apple to release a worthy replacement.

Reactions: Chuckeee

Varmann

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2010
I would be more concerned by the macpro line than the studio. The macpro has been all over the place since 2012. New models almost left orphaned regarding upgrades and support for internal third party hardware. With the investment of a macpro you also expect OS support more than five years.

My next Mac will most certain be a Studio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.