Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
I'm wondering how many other people keep the same iOS version on their devices? The one it was bought on? I know that security demands we update and new features reward us but I can't do it anymore. I've enjoyed that my 11 Pro Max has remained just as fast, battery life just as good, as it was when it was first purchased.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Many if not most people update going by the iOS statistics that Apple gathers and puts out regularly. That said, there are definitely some that don't for one reason or another.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
Nope still ios 13.3 on my iPhone 11 Pro planning keep this...

Same. 13.3, Pro Max. My device runs so smooth and the battery is so good, I just can't bring myself to update it. I used to jump on the beta trains but after watching every single device slow down and die quickly, I decided it's worth more to me to not update.

Reactions: Openworld1234

Joshel

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2020
I try to avoid updates, especially when a completely new version is being released with a lot of bugs. But when Apple adds a notification on the settings icon which is impossible to disable, I update it (I don't like this approach).

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I'm a first day updater. If there is a GM seed dropped, I'll snag it and update.
[automerge]1603286296[/automerge]
I definitely do that now, but since I’ve been jailbroken since May 2020, I haven’t updated from 13.5, and will more than likely keep it on 13.5, even after I receive my 12 Pro Max next month.

Your Pro Max won't come with 13.5. How do you plan to put that on there?

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
@Septembersrain, for me it is a “no.” For the better part of several decades, I updated the OS on every device I had pretty much as soon as it was available to do so. Over the last 2-3 years, I’ve taken a very different stance toward updates. My default case now is to do as you do: generally leave it alone. I do implement all security updates and dot releases primarily for malware prevention, especially on my iMac with Mojave. But the wholesale update from say, iOS 13.7 to iOS 14-something? Or Mojave to Catalina? Not so much. This approach has been validated for my use cases by having avoided the battery issues of early iOS 14 releases, and the initial horrorshows reported for early Catalina releases.

So here is my upgrade decision matrix:

1- does the update add features I need or want? If not, pass. If so, see what the fora are reporting, then maybe update.

2- does the update take away features I need or want? If so, and security remains uncompromised, then pass.

For example: in the case of Mojave to Catalina, the main new feature widely used seems to be Sidebar, Sidestep, Sidecar, Sideswipe, Sideways, whatever it is called. While cool, I have absolutely no desire for this whatsoever, so pass. Also, Catalina’s new iTunes implementation deletes, at least for some, all album art in the new music app. So again, pass. Just no need for Catalina. Even without these negatives, I’ve just seen no compelling reason to leave Mojave for my iMac usage. With Big Sur(prise) coming soon, I’m guessing the analysis will likely be the same: some new things I won’t need or care about, and some old things taken away that I do care about. Similarly for iPhone’s iOS, and iPadOS.

Interesting to note for me anyway is the case of Apple TV OS or whatever it’s official name is. I have left this on auto updates and have seen little changes at all across my three generations of AppleTV devices with the one exception of adding AppleTV+ (the service, not the device) to the menu. Whatever’s happening in the background with the updates has not affected in one way or the other my user experiences on those devices. So for now, I’m leaving them in auto update mode. May regret later, but now all good.

By the way, my first Apple product was an Apple II+ in about 1981 so I’ve been a user for awhile.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I update, but the last version i'm on is 13.7 and not updating higher

I figure since Safari 14 on Mac breaks websites, particularly financial banking websites, the same must also be true on iOS as well.

As well as there is nothing in iOS 14 that interests me to upgrade.

Reactions: Septembersrain

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
@Septembersrain, for me it is a “no.” For the better part of several decades, I updated the OS on every device I had pretty much as soon as it was available to do so. Over the last 2-3 years, I’ve taken a very different stance toward updates. My default case now is to do as you do: generally leave it alone. I do implement all security updates and dot releases primarily for malware prevention, especially on my iMac with Mojave. But the wholesale update from say, iOS 13.7 to iOS 14-something? Or Mojave to Catalina? Not so much. This approach has been validated for my use cases by having avoided the battery issues of early iOS 14 releases, and the initial horrorshows reported for early Catalina releases.

So here is my upgrade decision matrix:

1- does the update add features I need or want? If not, pass. If so, see what the fora are reporting, then maybe update.

2- does the update take away features I need or want? If so, and security remains uncompromised, then pass.

For example: in the case of Mojave to Catalina, the main new feature widely used seems to be Sidebar, Sidestep, Sidecar, Sideswipe, Sideways, whatever it is called. While cool, I have absolutely no desire for this whatsoever, so pass. Also, Catalina’s new iTunes implementation deletes, at least for some, all album art in the new music app. So again, pass. Just no need for Catalina. Even without these negatives, I’ve just seen no compelling reason to leave Mojave for my iMac usage. With Big Sur(prise) coming soon, I’m guessing the analysis will likely be the same: some new things I won’t need or care about, and some old things taken away that I do care about. Similarly for iPhone’s iOS, and iPadOS.

Interesting to note for me anyway is the case of Apple TV OS or whatever it’s official name is. I have left this on auto updates and have seen little changes at all across my three generations of AppleTV devices with the one exception of adding AppleTV+ (the service, not the device) to the menu. Whatever’s happening in the background with the updates has not affected in one way or the other my user experiences on those devices. So for now, I’m leaving them in auto update mode. May regret later, but now all good.

By the way, my first Apple product was an Apple II+ in about 1981 so I’ve been a user for awhile.

For me, I've had Android devices far longer than iPhones. So I do not worry about security. Most of my apps of importance have their own added security. It's a big deal to lose battery life for me though. Which is what happens each and every time I update iOS on any iDevice. The added features are not worth the slowing down and battery life loss.

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
Well, screwed myself on this one. On my auto updated AppleTV 3rd Gen, I got a widely-reported bug that freezes up the device if you press pause during a YouTube video. To fix, you have to reboot (unplug) the device...PITA. Began with the September update and Apple is doing nothing about it (“Hmm, YouTube eh? That’s a Google issue,”). The stated work-around is the obvious and ludicrous one: don’t use pause in YouTube videos. Now trying to back-load OS7.5 onto the device which worked quite well.

cashville2400

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2011
Yes, I almost always update it. iOS 14 actually improved my battery life on my XS Max. I was having battery issues after a few of the iOS 13 updates, but after updating to iOS 14, it has been a world of difference.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I keep updating until the os is stable enough and fit my needs. My iPad Air 3 and iPhone 7 use 14.1 (iOS 13 is unstable), while my 6s stay in 12.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
I try to avoid updates, especially when a completely new version is being released with a lot of bugs. But when Apple adds a notification on the settings icon which is impossible to disable, I update it (I don't like this approach).
It’s not impossible to disable. Just install the tv os beta profile and it gets rid of it and you are never bothered for updates again.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
I'm wondering how many other people keep the same iOS version on their devices? The one it was bought on? I know that security demands we update and new features reward us but I can't do it anymore. I've enjoyed that my 11 Pro Max has remained just as fast, battery life just as good, as it was when it was first purchased.
Always update as soon as posible after they release the new version.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
For me right now 13.7 has been the pinnacle of iOS for my launch iPhone 7. The phone hasn’t slowed down at all. If anything it did actually start loading some apps a titch faster on iOS 13 compared to before.

I tried iOS 14 on day one and I had to go back the next day to 13.7 because my phone was super hot to the touch when I woke up the next day and that freaked me out!

Sure people say it’s the indexing and yada yada yada but this was weird and I’ve never had this happen with any other iOS update before. Also I didn’t like some of the changes and I have no care or use for the widgets. If anything they are using up more of my already limited 2GB’s of ram.

I’ve learned over these past ten years of owning iPhones it’s best to wait till about Christmas time or just after the start of the new year to safely update your iPhone if you really want to. By then mostly all of the annoying bugs are ironed out. Of course I know this time I jumped in early and got burned again by a buggy mess! My 7 may remain on 13.7 till next year comes. I’m really excited for 120hz screens!

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
For me right now 13.7 has been the pinnacle of iOS for my launch iPhone 7. The phone hasn’t slowed down at all. If anything it did actually start loading some apps a titch faster on iOS 13 compared to before.

I tried iOS 14 on day one and I had to go back the next day to 13.7 because my phone was super hot to the touch when I woke up the next day and that freaked me out!

Sure people say it’s the indexing and yada yada yada but this was weird and I’ve never had this happen with any other iOS update before. Also I didn’t like some of the changes and I have no care or use for the widgets. If anything they are using up more of my already limited 2GB’s of ram.

I’ve learned over these past ten years of owning iPhones it’s best to wait till about Christmas time or just after the start of the new year to safely update your iPhone if you really want to. By then mostly all of the annoying bugs are ironed out. Of course I know this time I jumped in early and got burned again by a buggy mess! My 7 may remain on 13.7 till next year comes. I’m really excited for 120hz screens!

I'll be staying on 13.3 unless I damage this device or can't get around update after battery change. I'm also looking forward to seeing what they do next year. I'm really hoping they won't lower the mAh again on the Pro Max version.

topcat001

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2019
I finally updated to 14.2 from 13.7 because of the kernel vulnerabilities which are concerning. Also, wanted to try out spatial audio which is neat!

XeonFurr

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2020
You can actually always delete the badge.
Either delete the update in general iphone storage or general software update long press “download and install” tap download only, wait for download and processing and then delete update in iphone storage.
And don’t open “software update” again.

BimBamSmash

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2020
Before iOS 9 I used to upgrade on the day of release.

Around the same time iOS 9 came around, my phone began to act up, got really sow, would shut it self down randomly, etc - - - you know, the usual signs that the battery is about to die, and likely the effects of that controversial throttling "feature" Apple had implemented too.

From that point forward, I have been very hesitant to upgrade. Particularly to iOS 13 which I almost skipped altogether because they disabled the 3D touch feature on handsets (for whatever reason), and also for all the many bugs it had.

Took the risk and installed iOS 14 on day 1. Besides the battery drain issue, which were ironed out with the .1 update, it was a smooth sail. I am yet to update to 14.2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.