Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wicked271

macrumors regular
May 26, 2010
Philippines
I usually update to the latest IOS after reading here for any issues.

When I asked for help on the apple.com support before on how to downgrade from ios 14 back to ios 13.7 and found that once unsigned, I can no longer downgrade, I decided to stick to ios 13.7 on my main phone.

Recently, a user replied that I need to upgrade coz of security issues so now I’m thinking about it. Is it really a security risk to stay on ios 13.7?

I finally updated to 14.2 from 13.7 because of the kernel vulnerabilities which are concerning. Also, wanted to try out spatial audio which is neat!

What are those kernel vulnerabilities? How’s ios 14.2 working?

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
iOS is now v14.3. I broke down and upgraded our iPhone7, iPhoneSE (1st gen), iPadPro (1st gen), and iPadAir. Surprisingly, all seem to be working fine. Still having battery issues with the iPhone7 though.

Last edited:

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
iOS is now v14.3. I broke down and upgraded our iPhone7, iPhoneSE, iPadPro (1st gen), and iPadAir. Surprisingly, all seems to be working fine. Still having battery issues with the iPhone7 though.
How much screen on time do you get with the 7? I’m still on 13.7 and I use a smart battery case. Both batteries are now a couple of years old and the phones internal battery is at 87% and no way of checking the smart battery case but it’s probably about that too. I get about 3 to 3.5 hours of screen on time per battery depending on what I’m doing.

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
How much screen on time do you get with the 7? I’m still on 13.7 and I use a smart battery case. Both batteries are now a couple of years old and the phones internal battery is at 87% and no way of checking the smart battery case but it’s probably about that too. I get about 3 to 3.5 hours of screen on time per battery depending on what I’m doing.
Not sure, I have screen time tracking turned off. My battery health is 87% for whatever that tells me. Safari is my biggest battery consumer at 21% or just over 5 hours on screen with security close behind at 16% or just over 2 hours mostly background. All other are single-digit percentages.

Note that I purchased my iPhone7 new in March 2019 so it is less than 2 years old. AppleCare support ends March 2021.

topcat001

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2019
I usually update to the latest IOS after reading here for any issues.

When I asked for help on the apple.com support before on how to downgrade from ios 14 back to ios 13.7 and found that once unsigned, I can no longer downgrade, I decided to stick to ios 13.7 on my main phone.

Recently, a user replied that I need to upgrade coz of security issues so now I’m thinking about it. Is it really a security risk to stay on ios 13.7?

What are those kernel vulnerabilities? How’s ios 14.2 working?

14.2 is working fine and I'm loving spatial audio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.