Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use FullScreen Mode often?

• Most/All of the time

Votes: 40 28.6%
  • Rarely

Votes: 58 41.4%
  • Never

Votes: 42 30.0%

• Total voters

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
Ive been using fullscreen mode on my MacBook ever since it was announced, but after recently re-evaluating whether or not it has improved my workflow then I'm not sure if it's actually made things easier or better.

So I'm curious how everyone else likes FullScreen Mode and also which particular apps does it work better at.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I may have missed something, but other than gain the height of the menu bar (and lose a second monitor), I don't see the point.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Nope. I have my dock on the right side, and then I stretch all my apps to fit the space left over. I work with multiple panels, and so most times they want to try and fit the screen too, so it's a complete nightmare.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
As I have a second monitor for my iMac full-screen don't make sense the way it's implemented. There is hope Apple once correct its concept; but only very little hope. :(

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I _don't want_ "full screen".

I WANT a menu bar and the options it offers to me available, always.

"Full screen" is for tvs -- not computers.

My opinion only.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I think a more middle ground option would have been a better option, but I've ticked rarely...I guess I use it mainly in games on my iMac....X-Plane always runs full screen, but with 27" of real-estate, and since I often have several apps running at once, I guess rarely is about right.

Never would probably fit the bill on my rMBP as I only ever go full screen in Doom...the only game I have on it....the rest if the time it's windows and multi-tasking.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Seldom, if ever. For my purposes, the loss of the inch at the top of the screen makes no difference.

I can imagine situations where it would be useful for others...but losing the menu and tool bar is a pain when I need to use them.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Very rarely do I use it. About the only time I do is when I really want to focus on what I'm doing or for whatever reason I need to see more on the screen. That doesn't happen often for me.

It's nice when I need it though.

bdrake47

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2012
Use it almost all the time for Mail, Safari, and iTunes. Keeps them all a swipe away, and then another desktop or two open for what I'm working on.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
I like full screen for video/photo editing to eliminate distraction/desktop light.
Otherwise, not much use for it.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Where's the option for "Only specific Apps"...?

I've only used fullscreen for iTunes... the rest I find them useless...

It's good that iTunes 11 can also support fullscreen on Snow Leopard, it stays fullscreen all the way despite switching from internal display to external display of different resolutions.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I use it a lot. I find I actually focus on the task better when I make it full screen.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Hmm it is a vag question because when i am using may macbook i use full screen all the time, but for iMac i rarely use it. So it depends, for 13" or 15" you maybe use the full screen very often but for over 19" i think you don't need

WSR

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
First, I didn't vote in the poll since I'm using Snow Leopard, and the Full-Screen mode that most app's use in Snow Leopard is different than ML's official implementation.

If I did have ML, I don't think I would use it.
1) Since ML's Full-Screen mode creates it's own Desktop, going to Full-Screen mode would mess up the order of the Desktops. One of the reasons I'm still with SL is that I prefer the fixed grid of Spaces in SL. So that I don't have to hunt where a usually open app is. I know that Itunes is alway in the top right Space in a 3X3 grid.

2) Also I have 2 monitors, and using ML's Full-Screen mode kills the 2nd monitor. One of my main uses of Full-Screen mode in SL is having a video player on my 2nd monitor in Full-Screen mode. In SL, and from what I hear a few video players that don't use ML's official Full-Screen mode, this leaves the first monitor with the menu and free to do other things.

dacoolest

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2011
I'm comfortable with the way of the applications windows in the mac os. I prefer fullscreen only when the app plays a video or something. Other than that, i always prefer normal windows.

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
I dont think its about reclaiming that menu bar area, but more about making it "feel" more iOS like by showing you one app at a time. And if thats the case, I dont get it either because I feel the whole "single-tasking" iOS approach has already become outdated and even on an iPad I'm wanting multiple visible apps (or at least a sidebar thing like Windows 8).

Im not bashing fullscreen because I do like it on RSS readers or iTunes where I dont have to interact with the finder or other apps. But with Mail or web browsers I find it a bit awkward to drag links or files in or out of the program. And my biggest peave is that the place FullScreen makes the most sense is Aperture/iPhoto, but when you use FullScreen it completely changes the interface and hides important controls.

Anyway, im still tweaking my workflow but the more I think about it the less I feel that FullScreen fits my computer habits. Maybe next revision will add more visible features to make it more appealing.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Never had it in Snow Leopard, don't need it now, especially Apple's implementation of Full Screen. Multiple monitors don't handle it properly. Seems like a lot of hoopla just to hide a menubar. Other 3rd party apps don't seem to have this problem.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Very rarely. I missed it back in System 7 (because I was used to Windows at the time) but that was so long ago that I don't even consider it now. I also tend to not run everything maximised on Windows anymore either.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
when you swipe between multiple desktops regularly, full screen mode is great. I keep itunes and calendar on full screen, school papers and documents on a desktop, and research on another.

Fullscreen mode makes mission control SO useful. Some apps change their entire layout when in fulscreen mode to, so it does more than just hide the menu bar.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
when you swipe between multiple desktops regularly, full screen mode is great.

What does running apps in Full Screen have to do with using multiple desktops? You can simply avoid full screen and put each app in its own desktop. :confused:

Fullscreen mode makes mission control SO useful.
Yet another testimonial from somebody who never uses external monitors. (And most likely, has never used "Spaces" in previous versions of OSX.

Some apps change their entire layout when in fulscreen mode to, so it does more than just hide the menu bar.
Not the ones I use. Safari, iTunes, Mail... ironically, Apple apps.

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
I use it rarely. This is probably because it's relatively new to me, so that I forget it's there. Maybe I would get more things done if I used it more often?
Probably not. The more I think about it, FullScreen Mode seems to be a solution to a problem that nobody actually had. :p

Were people really having problems with focusing on a program because they can see another program is hiding behind the window? Was there really an outcry for the multitasking personal computer to look like a single tasking tablet? Is seeing the clock really hurting productivity?

Sure, people now claim that FullScreen mode increases their productivity but I highly doubt these people would be unproductive if it never existed. I kinda view it like the hype behind Disney's Cars Land. Nobody EVER said they wanted to visit Radiator Springs but now that it exists then suddenly people act as if it's what they always wanted. (But in reality we just want a Star Wars or Marvel based land.) :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.