Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use FullScreen Mode often?

• Most/All of the time

Votes: 40 28.6%
  • Rarely

Votes: 58 41.4%
  • Never

Votes: 42 30.0%

• Total voters

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
On my MacBook Air, I use it most of the time. Usually just for Safari, Postbox, and Spotify.

On my Mac Mini, I never use it. It's just not useful on a 20" display.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
I use it a lot… especially because of the 11 inch screen in my MacBook Air. Mostly I keep Notes, Safari, Chrome, and Photo Booth in full screen.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
The poll needs better options than Almost Always and Rarely... I use it frequently for Final Cut Pro X but that's about it.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
What does running apps in Full Screen have to do with using multiple desktops? You can simply avoid full screen and put each app in its own desktop. :confused:

Yet another testimonial from somebody who never uses external monitors. (And most likely, has never used "Spaces" in previous versions of OSX.

Not the ones I use. Safari, iTunes, Mail... ironically, Apple apps.

I actually use both. I hate having multiple monitors on my desk, taking up space. Virtual desktops are my preference. I have used spaces in the past. It was good, butI like this approach more.

jozeppy26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
St. Louis
I use Fullscreen constantly. iTunes, Calendar, Mail, and iMessages are always open and in fullscreen on my 15" rMBP. Safari I usually leave on the desktop (Safari in fullscreen only when I have Adobe Acrobat open since it doesn't support fullscreen). Word and Powerpoint files I'm looking at are in fullscreen. It's so nice to be able to quickly launch a bunch of apps in fullscreen and just 3 finger swipe between running apps. Greatly improves my workflow. It's basically just a quick app switcher for me.

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Can't stand fullscreen. Switching from fullscreen apps to normal apps is often buggy and the animation into the fullscreen mode takes a long time. Not a fan.

mr.thing

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
I'm using Full screen mode on almost every app, especially those for reading, like Browsers, Reeder, Pocket, etc... Swiping between apps using magic mouse. Makes is a bit of iPad-ish feeling :)

chevelleguy3

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2013
Mckinney, TX
I will use it on my 13" MBP due to the smaller screen size. However, on my MP with 2 27" Cinema displays and on my work machine which is a 15" MBP with 2 27" TB displays I never use it due to losing the second screen. If we could use full screen on multiple displays, I would probably use it.

printz

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2012
Probably not. The more I think about it, FullScreen Mode seems to be a solution to a problem that nobody actually had. :p

Were people really having problems with focusing on a program because they can see another program is hiding behind the window? Was there really an outcry for the multitasking personal computer to look like a single tasking tablet? Is seeing the clock really hurting productivity?

Sure, people now claim that FullScreen mode increases their productivity but I highly doubt these people would be unproductive if it never existed. I kinda view it like the hype behind Disney's Cars Land. Nobody EVER said they wanted to visit Radiator Springs but now that it exists then suddenly people act as if it's what they always wanted. (But in reality we just want a Star Wars or Marvel based land.) :D
Actually, OS X has lacked a true window maximize action, and full screen may be Apple's proud answer to this ("why implement this 'maximize' thing other OS have, when we can go all the way with system-wide FULL SCREEN!!")

For me full screen doesn't hide just the menu bar, it also hides the dock. I prefer to keep the dock visible so I can quickly access open applications or folder stacks, but sometimes its presence is distracting, so I turn up full screen.

I always use full screen on games or virtualization software, especially when I use a multitouch device so I can swipe screens.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Only in games and video playback but vary rarely for the Apple full screen mode where you click the top right of the window. But I have a 27" iMac so don't really need it.

onirocdarb

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2013
how useful the fullscreen feature is is hugely dependent on what size screen you have. Everyone I know with an air or 13' pro uses it regularly. If you have an iMac it is a waste of space.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Yes...

All the time, when I open Safari, first thing is do is go Full screen, same with iTunes.

In fact, it annoys me, that i must do with Safari all the time, and it doesn't go full screen by default, like Firefox does...

In retrospect, sometimes, i'd even prefer using Firefox just because of this.

I have no idea why Apple still haven't added this feature yet, when they have done it to iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.