Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2016
‪Coming to think of it, I haven’t used Siri in the last year or 2. For me, voice recognition systems just have too many hurdles to get over to be used ubiquitously.

Voice recognition systems work in very specific conditions and I just feel like this is not a technology that will be used as a major input system in the mainstream consumer setup.

I wonder what the usage statistics is like throughout the world.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2016
I use it now and then, usually in the car to send a text or to play different music tracks

Ah, my use case is generally different I guess. I never text while driving and mostly I’m on my AirPods while listening to music, so just a quick tap helps with skipping tracks, plus using Siri in noisy setup is a nightmare, especially when on the underground without internet connection and a lot of noise around.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Ah, my use case is generally different I guess. I never text while driving and mostly I’m on my AirPods while listening to music, so just a quick tap helps with skipping tracks, plus using Siri in noisy setup is a nightmare, especially when on the underground without internet connection and a lot of noise around.

Texting while driving isn’t usually a habit of mine but now and then it comes in handy and is quite comical when Siri gets the text wrong and the other half has to try and work out what I’m trying to say Lol.
Skipping tracks I can easily do via my Bluetooth FM transmitter, I was more meaning to be able to tell it to play a particular track. Sometimes a random track pops in my head so as I’ve got Apple Music I ask for it and it plays.

Reactions: akash.nu

akash.nu

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2016
Texting while driving isn’t usually a habit of mine but now and then it comes in handy and is quite comical when Siri gets the text wrong and the other half has to try and work out what I’m trying to say Lol.
Skipping tracks I can easily do via my Bluetooth FM transmitter, I was more meaning to be able to tell it to play a particular track. Sometimes a random track pops in my head so as I’ve got Apple Music I ask for it and it plays.

Ah I see. The random track one is a good use case. Although that doesn’t happen with me most of the times but I see your point there.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Some bank apps in the U.S. allow you to check your balance with Siri. Bank of America is one of the participating banks I use. I ask Siri what my balance is, and it shows me my different bank account balances on the phone.
It is just as quick on the AW 3 in list mode, although you still need to toggle to the app and it will open and give you the balance.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2016
Some bank apps in the U.S. allow you to check your balance with Siri. Bank of America is one of the participating banks I use. I ask Siri what my balance is, and it shows me my different bank account balances on the phone.

It is just as quick on the AW 3 in list mode, although you still need to toggle to the app and it will open and give you the balance.

Very interesting. I didn’t know at all that banks would use such open ended APIs within their apps.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Briefly used it a few times, then never turns it back on. Afraid I can never turn off Siri on homebuttonless phones.

Apple Fritter

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2017
Meh, used it when it came out, it felt like talking to a 3yr-old.
Tried again every other year to confirm it hadn't improved.

The ONLY time I use it is when I absolutely must answer a message while driving.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
I use it everyday. Call someone using the speaker when phone isn't close, send messages, check weather, add reminders and grocery items, navigate to contacts and set timers. For these specific functions it works great. It's when you start experimenting that you start noticing Siris problems.

I'd love to be able to say "play (artist name)" and have it play the correct artist or song. My issue is that my Siri is set to Swedish. So it does this weird conversion of what I said in English and turns it into Swedish that makes no sense. It sometimes works though but not at all reliably. My own playlist works great.

It's funny though. Swedish Siri on Apple TV works great with English movie titles. They really need to unite all different Siri versions as its a mess right now (macOS can't control my lights). And let me say a English name even if my phone is set to Swedish.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I use Siri for absolutely everything it allows me too. As a matter fact, I’m dictating this message right now with Siri. Where I find Siri to be the most useful is with AirPods, Apple Watch controls, hands-free in the car and of course the HomePod.

Aside from all the griping that others have with Siri, it does exactly what I need it to and it makes my usage with my iOS devices that much more useful having Siri rather than not.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland

Interestingly I've just upgraded my car stereo to one that supports CarPlay, Siri seems to now make far fewer errors when I'm dictating messages vs the previous BT non-CarPlay unit - my message success rate (ie no re-dictating required), has literally gone from 10% to 80%+...

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I really want to start using it more with the apps that integrate with it, but haven't been able to nail down the commands for them yet. Use it mostly for timers, reminders, getting the weather for later in the day/week, searching the web, definitions, spelling (because the spellchecker otherwise doesn't catch it...), getting phone numbers/seeing whether a place is open/directions, and other really boring stuff.

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
‪Coming to think of it, I haven’t used Siri in the last year or 2. For me, voice recognition systems just have too many hurdles to get over to be used ubiquitously.

Voice recognition systems work in very specific conditions and I just feel like this is not a technology that will be used as a major input system in the mainstream consumer setup.

I wonder what the usage statistics is like throughout the world.

I use it often.. 99% to turn of wifi and save extra clicks on my home button ..

I used it while driving yesterday for DND...

I use for sending iMessage to ppl and call people.. or even “what is ____” or “who is___”

Mostly when I’m bored I just keep saying “hey Siri” and try to improve its response and my voice recognition..

I think you( OP) need to try it once now... it’s high time... don’t ask any stupid questions like tell me a joke.. start with “call this person”... or “what is ____” ...
Mostly Siri doesn’t underStand my pronounciations is names, so I’ve set the contacts with relations like brother, sister, uncle, Mom, dad, etc... so it’s easier to say “call my brother”....

Pretty much all things make my rutine things faster...

With all these assistants we need to see what’s simpler and helpful.. not everything is helpful for everyone.. for eg. it can be used to open apps, but manually doing that is faster (through spotlight search)

Calling a person is faster with Siri if the pronounciation is correct, instead of opening the app and using spotlight/ scrolling...

Setting a timer, or alarm is faster and easier on Siri... asking “what tine is it in “specific place” is easier on Siri... so you need to figure out your needs.. you need to keep trying to improve its abilities, which in turn help Apple improve it... turn on the “allow Apple to improve products” and differential privacy will help Apple make it better.. Siri gets better when you use it more.. and that’s not a claim it does.. you can. See the difference in recognising words within weeks... I think “hey Siri” could use an improvement with a better microphone... but don’t let sa useful feature go waste..

Cortana and google assistant can do stuff, which Siri can’t like play games, sing songs, answer in a funny way, but that gets boring after asking them 2-3 times.. then it’s all back to getting your work done, which Siri does fine...

Checking cricket or football(European) scores, etc works... so it’s a pretty good assistant for me.. just a have a little bit of patience, and it’ll work..

Last edited:
Reactions: s15119 and akash.nu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.