Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2022
I posted a question on Reddit and the majority of the responses were positive, but there were a few people who thought I was crazy for wanting to give my 11 year old an iPhone 15. Is this really so wild?

I’ve been deep into the Apple ecosystem since 2006 and have only owned iPhones since 2007. I started my daughter out on a Samsung and she’s proven herself to be responsible with it. One of the most common issues people had with it was “it’s going to get lost or broken!” But… isn’t that what AppleCare + theft and loss is for?! I have that for my own device, why wouldn’t I get it for a child’s device too?

Is it just… jealousy? Seeing a child getting a 15 when you’re stuck with an X and can’t upgrade? I can only do this with my tax refund, I’m not wealthy by any means. She has an iPad (financed) and AirPods Pro 2, and there’s an Apple Watch SE here that I will give her. I’m very excited for her to join the blue bubble gang because I’ve been so completely in love with every iPhone I’ve owned and I know she’s “going to love it.”

I feel like many kids have iPhones, do yours? I can’t imagine I’m in the minority here.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I grew up on handheld videogame consoles like the Game Boy and DS, so I don't see a phone being any different in that way. Hand-me-downs at that age sound perfectly reasonable to me, if they've shown they deserve having one or are responsible enough. And if they lose or break it, that's another lesson in responsibility in itself. If you really are okay with your kid having a newer phone than you, then whatever, that's your decision, a phone is a phone.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I think we need to allow kids to remain kids and do traditional play and be outside. While my generation was addicted to Nintendo's etc I think the phone and iPad addiction is a lot worse than we were as kids in the 90's.

My daughter is 9 and has an iPad since she was about 5 and these past 2 years she on it all day playing Roblox and watching you tube. She does do her homework on it as well but I do think she's on it too much and we are presently trying to get her to cut back.

I think a iPhone will increase their digital usage so I have no plans on giving my daughter a phone and in terms of if you do and go down the iPhone 15 route then I think that's a bit excessive of a gift and doesn't teach principles of money to them. maybe get them doing chores to earn their own money to then see if they are willing to part with the money themselves? they might be more inclined to get a cheaper phone if they've worked for it?

kanga1622

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Yes, both my kids have iPhones but not the latest version. Our kids get our old phones when my husband and I upgrade. So my kids are using 13s right now. We don’t have AppleCare on them - just a quality screen protector and an Otterbox. We do have to replace a screen protector every so often but the actual phones are in great shape.

You know your child and if they can meet your expectations.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I posted a question on Reddit and the majority of the responses were positive, but there were a few people who thought I was crazy for wanting to give my 11 year old an iPhone 15. Is this really so wild?

I’ve been deep into the Apple ecosystem since 2006 and have only owned iPhones since 2007. I started my daughter out on a Samsung and she’s proven herself to be responsible with it. One of the most common issues people had with it was “it’s going to get lost or broken!” But… isn’t that what AppleCare + theft and loss is for?! I have that for my own device, why wouldn’t I get it for a child’s device too?

Is it just… jealousy? Seeing a child getting a 15 when you’re stuck with an X and can’t upgrade? I can only do this with my tax refund, I’m not wealthy by any means. She has an iPad (financed) and AirPods Pro 2, and there’s an Apple Watch SE here that I will give her. I’m very excited for her to join the blue bubble gang because I’ve been so completely in love with every iPhone I’ve owned and I know she’s “going to love it.”

I feel like many kids have iPhones, do yours? I can’t imagine I’m in the minority here.
Since about 2014, I think, there has been at least one spare iPhone in the house. A 3GS, that both my kids had access to only inside the house. They had to share.

My son's first phone was an iPhone 4s 8GB with a 2GB line. I cannot recall how old he was but he was in 8th grade and he's in his third year of college right now. We (my wife and I) had a 6s and a 6s Plus at that time, so probably 2016 I think. I got my son an iPhone SE brand new later when he started a new high school in ninth grade. Expanded his line to 6GB.

At that time, my daughter was still attending the school my son had graduated from. So, she got a 2GB line and my wife's old iPhone 5.

The reason for giving our kids phones was because we needed to be able to get a hold of them from time to time - either by calling them or texting them.

My son did well with his 4s, which is why he got a brand new SE on his birthday. My daughter lost the iPhone 5 on the first day she had it. Fortunately, the principal of the school was able to get it back but that's pretty much the difference in how phones are treated by my kids.

Got my son a SE2 in 2021 after we got the iPhone 11 Pro Max. Due to battery swelling of the 5 because of my daughter's incessant use of the phone I gave her my wife's old iPhone 6s. That 6s was in very good condition when we gave it to her, it now has a cracked screen and very bad battery.

I got my daughter an SE2 in 2022, just payed it off yesterday. Because of how she treats phones it's been in an Otterbox Defender Pro since day 1. I've seen her drop it face down just getting out of the car.

Both my kids had 6GB lines when T-Mobile upgraded 6GB lines to unlimited data for the same price. So they both have unlimited data by default. My son is now 20 and my daughter is 15.

Instead of AC+ for my daughter, I got her a case. She hates cases, but she's careless. Not clumsy or uncoordinated. Careless. My son has never broken a phone or cracked a screen. I did have to replace the battery on his SE2 recently, but that's to be expected.

My wife and I do have a rule though. We don't buy our kids better models of phone than what we ourselves own. If they want to kick in extra money or get it themselves, fine. But not us.

Last edited:

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
I have three kids. Well one is an adult now. She has an iPhone 13. The younger two both have a 2020 SE.

They've had iPhones since the age of 11 as a precursor to going to high school in the UK as they tend to have to get around themselves. They are not given a decent phone at first, usually a refurb N-3 model or an SE. When they get to 18 I buy them the current line standard iPhone. Happy birthday - you have to buy the next one yourself.

I've had one broken iPhone 8 so far which was a stupid case without a lip being dropped face down on the floor. After that cases were chosen carefully. Touch wood, none have been lost and none have been broken since.

The threat is of course: if you lose it or destroy it, you will be getting the ********* android phone I can buy for under £100. And they are afraid of that day.

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2022
I have three kids. Well one is an adult now. She has an iPhone 13. The younger two both have a 2020 SE.

They've had iPhones since the age of 11 as a precursor to going to high school in the UK as they tend to have to get around themselves. They are not given a decent phone at first, usually a refurb N-3 model or an SE. When they get to 18 I buy them the current line standard iPhone. Happy birthday - you have to buy the next one yourself.

I've had one broken iPhone 8 so far which was a stupid case without a lip being dropped face down on the floor. After that cases were chosen carefully. Touch wood, none have been lost and none have been broken since.

The threat is of course: if you lose it or destroy it, you will be getting the ********* android phone I can buy for under £100. And they are afraid of that day.
That’s our deal too—if we have to, she will go back to her android. But she uses cases and has been very responsible with her current phone.

I have a 15PM so she won’t be getting a newer phone than me, I wouldn’t get her one that’s better than mine haha. I’d upgrade myself first because I’m selfish I guess ;)

Reactions: AlmightyKang

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
My kids are way too young (4 and 2 months) to have a phone. Though I’m sure when they’re both older, we’ll have that conversation. We may first get them AW’s and connect them to our iPhones first, then eventually get them an iPhone — albeit it will be one of our old phone’s or whatever the SE is at that time.

Our son already has an old iPad that used to be my wife’s for YT Kids and Disney+ for when we go on trips.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Mine do yeah. My eldest daughter (10) has an iPhone 13 Pro and my youngest daughter (7) has an iPhone 11.

They only phone me and my wife and grandparents. The phones are mostly used for Instagram, Roblox and FaceTiming, messaging between friends. They do have an iPad 9th gen each too.

Don’t worry about people being judgemental and claiming you’re wrong for giving kids devices. As parents we manage that and make sure kids still do proper kid things. I know my wife and I do.

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2022
Mine do yeah. My eldest daughter (10) has an iPhone 13 Pro and my youngest daughter (7) has an iPhone 11.

They only phone me and my wife and grandparents. The phones are mostly used for Instagram, Roblox and FaceTiming, messaging between friends. They do have an iPad 9th gen each too.

Don’t worry about people being judgemental and claiming you’re wrong for giving kids devices. As parents we manage that and make sure kids still do proper kid things. I know my wife and I do.
Yes, my daughter has 2 straight weeks of overnight summer camp coming up this year, plus a week of Girl Scout overnight camp, and I will put her in a few art day camps. Plenty of kid things!

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
I wouldn’t mind giving hands me down items like iPhone 11 or 14pm lying around in our household for “free” but I wouldn’t buy a new one, just because they even tend to lose jackets($$) and coats on a cold day.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I don't think it matters so much what phone you choose to get for her as monitoring how she uses it or is allowed to use it. In addition to the risks of being on line too much at this age, a stolen or lost iPhone puts the whole family at risk.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Depends on the kid. My older one got when she was 12, a 13 mini after using an old iPhone 7 for a year. My younger kid got an iPhone SE, coz she is still learning to take care of stuff. She needs to show responsibility of taking care of devices.

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2022
I understand the idea of getting a kid an older model phone. I offered the 15 as an incentive for better grades and now she has her heart set on a pink one. I could’ve gone with a 14 but honestly having all of our devices on usbc will make my life much easier lol

Reactions: drrich2

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023
If I had kids I'd give them my hand-me-down iPhones.

I wouldn't give a new iPhone, iPad or Mac to them.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
I don't have kids but when the time comes I'll only give them a smartphone when they turned 18... They will be allowed to use gadgets for school but they will only own one when they reached 18 years of age...

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2022
If I had kids I'd give them my hand-me-down iPhones.

I wouldn't give a new iPhone, iPad or Mac to them.
Unfortunately my iPhones get traded in when I upgrade, otherwise that would be my go to option. I just have a borked 6S+ here, it wants a 6 digit passcode and I have never in my life used a 6 digit passcode, and it was only ever my phone 😅

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023
Unfortunately my iPhones get traded in when I upgrade, otherwise that would be my go to option. I just have a borked 6S+ here, it wants a 6 digit passcode and I have never in my life used a 6 digit passcode, and it was only ever my phone 😅
You'd likely not traded yours in and did what I'd do if you had kids.

Example of three sorts of Family Replacement Cycles of how I'd deploy assuming I had a 17yo, 13yo, 9yo, 5yo & 1yo this year.

Family Replacement Cycle3Y6Y9Y
2 parents2023 iPhone 15 Pro Max2023 iPhone 15 Pro Max2023 iPhone 15 Pro Max
1st 2 kids current phones2022 iPhone 14 Pro Max2021 iPhone 13 Pro Max2020 iPhone 12 Pro Max
Last 2 kids current phones2021 iPhone 13 Pro Max2019 iPhone 11 Pro Max2017 iPhone 8 Plus
1st 2 kids sold phones2020 iPhone 12 Pro Max2017 iPhone 8 Plus2014 iPhone 6 Plus
Last 2 kids sold phones2019 iPhone 11 Pro Max2015 iPhone 6s Plus2011 iPhone 4s

Typically, iOS major updates are up to 72 months while final security updates are up to 100 months. So the 6Y or 9Y family replacement cycle are ideal.

Every evening by 7pm they surrender their hand-me-down iPhones, iPads and MBAs to the parents for 5W USB-A slow recharging and so they get their 8-10 hours of sleep.

I don't want them developing any mental health problems from more than 1 hour daily recreational screen time.

In today's modern society kids should be as physically active outdoors as possible to get those happy hormone.

Last edited:

Jgreg00

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2016

Our 7 and 11yo kids have iPads they use at home, but the 11yo has an Apple Watch SE with cellular that she wear all the time. The watch has been great as she can reach us when needed, we can reach her when needed, find her location, and she can message or talk with her friends. Just yesterday her bus had a substitute bus driver who got lost on the route and she texted me to let me know what was going on and I could see where she was. Another kid used his watch to get the bus driver directions from his parents. The bus was about 25 minutes late, but at least i knew what was going on. We plan on holding off on getting her an actual phone for as long as possible. So far, she hasn't asked for one...

Lakris

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2020
Norway
Our 15 year old don't have an iPhone, unfortunately but it's his own choice. None of us had iPhones when he got his first phone, so his first phone was a cheap Samsung when he was about 9-10 years old. He now has a Samsung galaxy s23 ultra he godt for Christmas. He had an old phone and needed a new one, and he is very responsible and can care for the phone in a good way. It would be easier if everybody in the family had iPhones, but I'm glad he chooses what he wants, not what everybody around him does since iPhone is the most popular choice amongst his friends and classmates.

Reactions: bevsb2

LionTeeth

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2022
Our 7 and 11yo kids have iPads they use at home, but the 11yo has an Apple Watch SE with cellular that she wear all the time. The watch has been great as she can reach us when needed, we can reach her when needed, find her location, and she can message or talk with her friends. Just yesterday her bus had a substitute bus driver who got lost on the route and she texted me to let me know what was going on and I could see where she was. Another kid used his watch to get the bus driver directions from his parents. The bus was about 25 minutes late, but at least i knew what was going on. We plan on holding off on getting her an actual phone for as long as possible. So far, she hasn't asked for one...
I thought you needed a phone for the Apple Watch to work like that?

Are you saying an LTE enabled Apple Watch can independently make/take calls, send messages etc?

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023
Our 15 year old don't have an iPhone, unfortunately but it's his own choice. None of us had iPhones when he got his first phone, so his first phone was a cheap Samsung when he was about 9-10 years old. He now has a Samsung galaxy s23 ultra he godt for Christmas. He had an old phone and needed a new one, and he is very responsible and can care for the phone in a good way. It would be easier if everybody in the family had iPhones, but I'm glad he chooses what he wants, not what everybody around him does since iPhone is the most popular choice amongst his friends and classmates.
Seeming his family, friends and classmates are almost all on iPhones then why is he on a S23?

Is it to sideload apps?

Lakris

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2020
Norway
Seeming his family, friends and classmates are almost all on iPhones then why is he on a S23?

Is it to sideload apps?
I don't know, he just likes Samsung better and always has. I think some of his friends have Samsung, but the majority of classmates and friends have iPhones and us parents and the grandparents on one side (the other side of grandparents have old not-smart phones).

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
I understand the idea of getting a kid an older model phone. I offered the 15 as an incentive for better grades and now she has her heart set on a pink one. I could’ve gone with a 14 but honestly having all of our devices on usbc will make my life much easier lol
Same. I offered last September a 15 pro max when she brings out the trash and a 16“ MB pro when she empties the dish washer.

Still waiting…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.