Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x5tuu

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2012
My daughter got her iphone 13 for her 9th birthday in October and its chrished but usage is managed closely and sensibly - that is the model she asked for and wanted for the specific colour.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
I posted a question on Reddit and the majority of the responses were positive, but there were a few people who thought I was crazy for wanting to give my 11 year old an iPhone 15. Is this really so wild?

I’ve been deep into the Apple ecosystem since 2006 and have only owned iPhones since 2007. I started my daughter out on a Samsung and she’s proven herself to be responsible with it. One of the most common issues people had with it was “it’s going to get lost or broken!” But… isn’t that what AppleCare + theft and loss is for?! I have that for my own device, why wouldn’t I get it for a child’s device too?

Is it just… jealousy? Seeing a child getting a 15 when you’re stuck with an X and can’t upgrade? I can only do this with my tax refund, I’m not wealthy by any means. She has an iPad (financed) and AirPods Pro 2, and there’s an Apple Watch SE here that I will give her. I’m very excited for her to join the blue bubble gang because I’ve been so completely in love with every iPhone I’ve owned and I know she’s “going to love it.”

I feel like many kids have iPhones, do yours? I can’t imagine I’m in the minority here.
I'm not going to tell other people how to raise their kids. What I will say is that both of my sons were given an old iPhone 6 at age 11 and asked to look after it for two years. Keep it in one piece and you can have something newer when you are 13. WhatsApp, iMessage and iCloud all still function on a 6 as they do on a 15.

As a designer I also take into account device ergonomics. Anything bigger than a 6-chassis for an 11 year old is too much for them to hold.

Reactions: ctjack

drrich2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
Our 5th grader has an iPad Mini (5th generation) cellular model. Awhile back we gave her my wife's prior phone, an iPhone X, whose battery is pretty much shot - this thing doesn't hold a charge long, and functions like an iPod because we don't use the cellular capability on it anymore.

I don't know how widely known this is, but near-sightedness has been increasing strongly in children over time, and it's thought extended close-focusing on 'screens' is a contributor to this. Children are selectively vulnerable because in human development their eyes are still developing over time, and starting at screens for long interferes with that. I did a a quick Google to grab a web page that appears to support my contention:

Here's my thinking. She already spends a great deal of time on the iPad Mini, which is a nice size for a kid. She loves the iPhone X for some inexplicable reason, but it has a much smaller screen. I would think gaming on it and other use would be more of an effort for the eyes, perhaps encourage her to bring the device in even closer.

So, my unproven theory is that if a kid is going to use a 'screen' a lot, a larger one that's held a bit further away from the eyes might be the lesser of evils. And she hardly needs yet another enthralling device to feed her digital entertainment addiction.

If you spend some time on an online forum called Quora and read threads related to schools, you may find a number of teachers are concerned about developments they've observed in children over time, and smart phones and similar devices are prime suspects in it.

1.) Short attention span - they're so accustomed to highly engaging, rapidly changing, contrasty entertainment media, which coupled with the effects of checking e-mail, texts and notifications, may be causing the infamous dopamine hits that get the brain primed for more. Then when they're sitting in a comparatively boring classroom listening to a lecture or, perish forbid, are expected to read in a book, they lack the capacity for sustained focus. One teacher explained that in his experience what's considered grade level in reading seems to've dropped a grade or two, and the duration of instruction he can hold their attention for is shorter.

2.) A number of kids jump right on phones as soon as they get out of class. The immediacy is troubling.

I'm no Luddite. I got our kid started on an iPad early because I wanted her to be 'digital native,' fluent from an early age in one of the info. technology paradigms of our times, able to seek and learn from information online fluidly.

But when you 'go phone,' the compact, omni-present, highly convenient and discreet access to what I've described is troubling. I'm glad our kid is at least off gadgets during the school day.

Age matters. Lord willing and providing if our family's still standing when she's 16, this might be a very different conversation.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
yes both my kids have iPhones and my wife has an iPhone. that along makes it tough to use android as my daily. services works so well along with all my other devices.

MacPoulet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2012
Canada
Yep, kid happens to have the best iPhone in the house at the moment. Has been really responsible about it and it's been useful when the school bus was in an accident, and another time when the school was on lockdown (school is next to a very sketchy motel). We heard from the kid both times before the school to say everyone was okay.

And for anyone who puts forward the argument "back in my day we didn't have cellphones..." yes that's true. We had pay phones on every corner and you could use those to check in with your folks. That isn't a thing anymore.

Reactions: drrich2

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2022
Yep, kid happens to have the best iPhone in the house at the moment. Has been really responsible about it and it's been useful when the school bus was in an accident, and another time when the school was on lockdown (school is next to a very sketchy motel). We heard from the kid both times before the school to say everyone was okay.

And for anyone who puts forward the argument "back in my day we didn't have cellphones..." yes that's true. We had pay phones on every corner and you could use those to check in with your folks. That isn't a thing anymore.
Your experiences are exactly why I wanted my kid to have a great phone. I need her to contact me if anything happens or she ever feels unsafe.

Reactions: MacPoulet

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2022
IMG_7528.jpeg
IMG_7554.jpeg

We did it! She’s so happy. She tells me every 10 minutes that she loves her phone. First thing I did was put monthly AppleCare + Theft and Loss on it so we can have coverage indefinitely, I aim for her to have this phone for more than 2 years, I upgrade every year but I may not do that for her because she will survive. If they somehow add more safety features though I’d upgrade her. We’ll see. So glad to have her in the iPhone family!

I’m on T-Mobile but have no available credit, so I signed her up for Verizon and got the phone and watch for free. It’s another monthly bill but that’s okay.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
My daughter is currently to young (4), but her mom and myself have already had the conversation about when to get a phone down the line mainly because family members or others have asked us the question or mentioned things along the lines of "you are not going to be one of those parents are you?" My daughter has had a iPad mini since she was 2 and have yet to run into dependency issues. If I tell her now is not the time, or do not bring it with you, etc she listens without any feedback (besides a light moan which is quickly over with what kid doesn't like not getting toy they are pointing at in the store).

I don't have a pre-selected age that I think besides by entering highschool as others have mentioned that is the age they really may be doing their own things with after school, sports, friends, etc. as to prior to high school I think it will depend on her maturity and what she has going on. I had a coworker who was reluctant to give his daughter a phone in middle school, but she was heavy into soccer and volleyball for both in school and local teams and he said it was just too much on his device and saw that she remained responsible with it ever since.

As someone who grew up with electronics/video games/etc in the 90s and listened to all the bad this and this is going to do that to you, without any of those issues to this day I am going to just base it on in the moment and what is going on in her life.

MacPoulet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2012
Canada
Your experiences are exactly why I wanted my kid to have a great phone. I need her to contact me if anything happens or she ever feels unsafe.
Yep. Ours has been pretty responsible with it. Doesn’t take it out at school except for recess, or to send us a snarky text. It’s also in a good case with a screen protector. We actually have to remind the kid to bring the phone most days.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
No they aren’t old enough for a phone yet (5,7). They have tablets but not phones. When they are mature enough not to break their stuff they will be moved onto iPads.

Reactions: ISKOTB

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I don't have kids but when the time comes I'll only give them a smartphone when they turned 18... They will be allowed to use gadgets for school but they will only own one when they reached 18 years of age...
18 years old with no phone?

Your kids will revolt! Watch your back!

• Haha
Reactions: winxmac and MarkX

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I don't have kids but when the time comes I'll only give them a smartphone when they turned 18... They will be allowed to use gadgets for school but they will only own one when they reached 18 years of age...

I can you that’s not going to happen. Teenagers not being allowed a smartphone like their friends until they are 18? As a parent you do everything you can to make sure your kids fit in and don’t become a target etc.

I remember before I became a parent, I very arrogantly thought I knew exactly how certain things were going to be done and was adamant in my perceptions. Then I had kids and did being a parent and it’s a huge learning curve and the biggest challenge of your life lol.

Wagbh

macrumors member
May 6, 2020
My daughter is currently to young (4), but her mom and myself have already had the conversation about when to get a phone down the line mainly because family members or others have asked us the question or mentioned things along the lines of "you are not going to be one of those parents are you?" My daughter has had a iPad mini since she was 2 and have yet to run into dependency issues. If I tell her now is not the time, or do not bring it with you, etc she listens without any feedback (besides a light moan which is quickly over with what kid doesn't like not getting toy they are pointing at in the store).

I don't have a pre-selected age that I think besides by entering highschool as others have mentioned that is the age they really may be doing their own things with after school, sports, friends, etc. as to prior to high school I think it will depend on her maturity and what she has going on. I had a coworker who was reluctant to give his daughter a phone in middle school, but she was heavy into soccer and volleyball for both in school and local teams and he said it was just too much on his device and saw that she remained responsible with it ever since.

As someone who grew up with electronics/video games/etc in the 90s and listened to all the bad this and this is going to do that to you, without any of those issues to this day I am going to just base it on in the moment and what is going on in her life.
My opinion on that is that the Apple Watch (SE) Cellular is the perfect starting device from ~ age 8
They get their own number, so can be reachable, call you, and still get iMessage & groups. You can locate them with Find My, activate Lost Mode, etc... Even Apple Pay if they have a prepaid card. It integrates with the Apple Ecosystem.
You avoid all social media and browsing as it doesn't get the apps. So you don't introduce any unhealthy habits and the leisure / screen time (Netflix&al.) stays at home exclusively (iPad for instance).
And hence, you are delaying the argument of "I need a phone so you can call me if there's a problem" well into the teens...

AhmetRyzen

Suspended
Dec 31, 2023
Adana, Turkey
I was 9 years old when I got my first phone. It was J1 Mini. I bought my second phone at 11 years old. It was the 64GB iPhone 8. Then it continued with Huawei Y7 Prime, Xiaomi Redmi Note 8, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 5G and Mi 11T. I will switch to iPhone 15 in 1 month. Around 2000 dollars in Turkey. That's why I will bring it from America through an acquaintance of mine. I will also pay 1000 dollars for IMEI registration. pray for me

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
My opinion on that is that the Apple Watch (SE) Cellular is the perfect starting device from ~ age 8
They get their own number, so can be reachable, call you, and still get iMessage & groups. You can locate them with Find My, activate Lost Mode, etc... Even Apple Pay if they have a prepaid card. It integrates with the Apple Ecosystem.
You avoid all social media and browsing as it doesn't get the apps. So you don't introduce any unhealthy habits and the leisure / screen time (Netflix&al.) stays at home exclusively (iPad for instance).
And hence, you are delaying the argument of "I need a phone so you can call me if there's a problem" well into the teens...
I do like that idea and will probably do that as my daughter gets older for the reasons you stated especially with being away from social media or other apps that could potentially cause unhealthy habits. I appreciate the take on the watch!

Reactions: orbital~debris

MacPoulet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2012
Canada
Still this would be possible with a burner phone…
Funny enough, I think my kid would love a flip phone. They're all in style these days.

I think we got the iPhone more for our own peace of mind over the kid's. The conversation went something like this:

"We're getting you an iPhone."

"Okay."

So not super excited or anything.

• Haha
Reactions: orbital~debris

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Giving your kids a cell phone is so 2019... these days it’s all about chips embedded inside the body.

Brooke795

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2016
San Diego
I posted a question on Reddit and the majority of the responses were positive, but there were a few people who thought I was crazy for wanting to give my 11 year old an iPhone 15. Is this really so wild?

I’ve been deep into the Apple ecosystem since 2006 and have only owned iPhones since 2007. I started my daughter out on a Samsung and she’s proven herself to be responsible with it. One of the most common issues people had with it was “it’s going to get lost or broken!” But… isn’t that what AppleCare + theft and loss is for?! I have that for my own device, why wouldn’t I get it for a child’s device too?

Is it just… jealousy? Seeing a child getting a 15 when you’re stuck with an X and can’t upgrade? I can only do this with my tax refund, I’m not wealthy by any means. She has an iPad (financed) and AirPods Pro 2, and there’s an Apple Watch SE here that I will give her. I’m very excited for her to join the blue bubble gang because I’ve been so completely in love with every iPhone I’ve owned and I know she’s “going to love it.”

I feel like many kids have iPhones, do yours? I can’t imagine I’m in the minority here.
My son who’s 13 has an iPhone 14 Plus. My husband and I have the pro maxes. I say do it. My son stays home sometimes and he’s savvy enough to know how to contact me or my husband or emergency services. He also has a cellular Apple Watch. Don’t let anyone discourage you. If it fits the needs for you and your family do it. 😁

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
My son who’s 13 has an iPhone 14 Plus. My husband and I have the pro maxes. I say do it. My son stays home sometimes and he’s savvy enough to know how to contact me or my husband or emergency services. He also has a cellular Apple Watch. Don’t let anyone discourage you. If it fits the needs for you and your family do it. 😁
U also don’t manage to follow the discussion.

Of course u can do whatever you want with your money.

But when your only argument is your kids need an $1000 phone to call emergency than this calls for BS.

Brooke795

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2016
San Diego
U also don’t manage to follow the discussion.

Of course u can do whatever you want with your money.

But when your only argument is your kids need an $1000 phone to call emergency than this calls for BS.
I’m at work and just replied to the OP yes.

most people with carriers can get a promo on latest devices. I say to each their own and they can do what they want.

Surfsalot

macrumors 65832
Mar 18, 2023
My kids got iPhones when they were 10 & 14, mainly our hand downs or I picked them up cheaper, they went to a school where they were banned in the school, had to hand them in the morning and pick up in the arvo. And this was 12 years ago lol.
Just bought a 14 for my 22 year old daughter uni student still living at home yesterday, have to sell her 12 mini now, so it keeps on going.
My son is now married and lives OS, works in IT so on his own thankfully.

Reactions: Brooke795
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.