Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
I have great vision and don’t need glasses. When I wear the Vision Pro, it feels like the text isn’t very sharp and crisp. I just watched the spatial adventure video and it also felt a tiny bit blurry. I have aligned my goggles and eyeballs, but it still looks very slightly blurry. Writing this on my Visio Pro MacRumors, and even the text doesn’t look as sharp and crisp as my phone.

When I go to my phone, everything immediately becomes perfectly sharp and crisp. Has anyone noticed this while wearing the Vision Pro? I don’t need glasses, but do I potentially need those glasses inserts? Or is this just a slight shortcoming with the Vision Pro?

EDIT - I figured it out. My eyes wide open are a bit squinted…I have never had fully wide open eyeballs when viewing the world. I just stretched my eyes fully open, and the text became perfectly clear. This is actually pretty weird, because typically when you squint things become sharper…while wearing the goggles it’s the opposite. Squinted eyes create blur, wide-open eyes, make it crystal clear.

Last edited:

dwhite601

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2021
You may notice the pass through video is significantly sharper in brightly lit rooms or outdoors. This afternoon, I was easily able to read small text on my iPad Mini through the headset which surprised me. In the evening, the pass through looks much softer.

Your phone's camera has the luxury of taking some time to get a clean image in low lighting conditions. The Vision Pro's cameras only have a 90th of a second to capture, process, and display their pixels to avoid poor latency.

David

rulymammoth

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
I have great vision and don’t need glasses. When I wear the Vision Pro, it feels like the text isn’t very sharp and crisp. I just watched the spatial adventure video and it also felt a tiny bit blurry. I have aligned my goggles and eyeballs, but it still looks very slightly blurry. Writing this on my Visio Pro MacRumors, and even the text doesn’t look as sharp and crisp as my phone.

When I go to my phone, everything immediately becomes perfectly sharp and crisp. Has anyone noticed this while wearing the Vision Pro? I don’t need glasses, but do I potentially need those glasses inserts? Or is this just a slight shortcoming with the Vision Pro?

EDIT - I figured it out. My eyes wide open are a bit squinted…I have never had fully wide open eyeballs when viewing the world. I just stretched my eyes fully open, and the text became perfectly clear. This is actually pretty weird, because typically when you squint things become sharper…while wearing the goggles it’s the opposite. Squinted eyes create blur, wide-open eyes, make it crystal clear.
You're not imagining this. It's why I was disappointed with the device. Movies in cinema mode were great, but they weren't as sharp as on my OLED TV. Text in Safari wasn't as sharp as text in Safari on my Mac. I wouldn't call the text blurry, but it was noticeably less sharp than on my Mac.

Tdevilsg

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2021
I've read it has to do with the resolution a bit. Make the font larger by stretching the windows larger and it will be easier to read and more clear.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
You're not imagining this. It's why I was disappointed with the device. Movies in cinema mode were great, but they weren't as sharp as on my OLED TV. Text in Safari wasn't as sharp as text in Safari on my Mac. I wouldn't call the text blurry, but it was noticeably less sharp than on my Mac.
I am literally on MacRumors right now and with my eyes normal the text looks very slightly off, not blurry, but not perfectly sharp. I then open my eyes as wide as I can make them and everything becomes pretty darn sharp. It’s almost like Apple or the goggles only make text perfectly clear when your eyes are wide open.

I am not Asian, but I’d be very interested to see if eyes from different cultures, see some blurriness based on being shaped differently.

The joke in my family is my kids eyeballs are wide open like circles…I’m a full grown adult, and I have a slanted/horizontal, oval eyeball shape, due to how my eyes seem to squint, even though they are fully open. Basically, my eyes are less open than my kids.

Dovahkiing

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2013
I have perfect vision and have had my VP for 2 days. In bright light rooms and rendered content, I can actually see the border between the high res foveated rendering center and the blurry rest of the view as my eyes dart around.

And don’t get me started on the People that said they can check their phone while wearing it! Bruh forget about it lol. It looks like I’m underwater when I look at a book or my phone screen via pass through.

Anyway, definitely cool product and I’m still on the return fence but, hard agree it’s far, FAR, from a high fidelity experience.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
I noted this in my "owners thread of discoveries", ie, stuff not pointed out in the current reporting, and pointed it out. AVP gives you nearsight, on the passthrough video. The computer generated part of the interface is pretty sharp and on the money though.

Last edited:

beelzebob

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2024
I definitely do not have perfect vision. I need to use reading glasses, but my "distance" vision is good. So, FWIW, in my experience, the "virtual" stuff (e.g., menus, windows, icons, and video) are all very sharp, but the pass-through is not. The pass-through almost kind of looks like looking at something through a heat-mirage, or like what you see when looking at something far-away through binoculars.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
It looks sharp to me although pixels are visible anytime the screen is larger. Pass-through is very blurry even in the best lighting conditions. The pixel visibility (and glare) bothers me more than the blurry pass-through.

Wanted to give it a full week before I made the decision, but I am probably sending mine back tomorrow. Just too many glaring problems for me at this stage.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
it will never be as sharp as a Mac. Macs are retina displays. the tech doesn't even exist for retina displays in VR. the pixels are already blood cell sized lol

Reactions: Surf Monkey

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
My vision is not perfect after 60 years in the same sockets; I have astigmatism and very light correction for near vision and light correction for distance.

I did not order a Zeiss lens correction and I see the VP as better, sharper and clearer without my glasses...

If that tells you anything....

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
I think everyone is missing my point. I have to pull down on my cheeks to make my eyeballs wide open, then everything becomes crystal clear. If I do not pull down on my cheeks, making my eyeballs wide-open, then things look very slightly blurry. It’s almost like the shape of my eyeballs are not open enough, and pulling my cheeks down to widen my eyeballs makes the text clear.

Reactions: 4sallypat

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I think everyone is missing my point. I have to pull down on my cheeks to make my eyeballs wide open, then everything becomes crystal clear. If I do not pull down on my cheeks, making my eyeballs wide-open, then things look very slightly blurry. It’s almost like the shape of my eyeballs are not open enough, and pulling my cheeks down to widen my eyeballs makes the text clear.
Hey same here - I do that too!

I thought I was the only one that did that...

But doing so also makes my eyes dry out quicker and can't keep it on my face...

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
It's not your eyes and it's not a defective unit. It's just the displays. There was a brilliant analysis of the Vision Pro resolution that somebody linked on this forum and it explains how the resolution is good enough not to see any obvious pixels (like pre retina iPhones or iPads for example) but not quite good enough to be true retina. The author emphasized that this is the worst segment to be in, it's the uncanny valley of display resolution. What you're seeing is all the antialiasing and other tricks Apple have to pull to make stuff look normal. I noticed it too and it's very frustrating.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston

You're right, everyone is missing the point here. It's not about passthrough, it's not about the not-quite-retina pixel density (it's plenty), it's about the LENSES. The lenses in this thing are honestly poor after trying my hardest to figure out if it was me (I went through two different prescription inserts and a new eye exam, and have no issues in any other VR headset), but the Vision Pro's optics are genuinely kind of mid and their pickiness leaves a lot of people trying to figure out why they can't get the displays to stay 100% crisp. The bummer is, if you pull down on your cheeks like that for more than a few minutes, you're gonna end up with eye strain/dry eye/fatigue and not be able to maintain it.

Go demo a Quest 3. Pancake optics at $499 with better edge to edge clarity, a bigger, roomier FOV, and almost zero optical jankiness at the edges that exists on AVP. I absolutely hate to say it but Meta's optics are downright a generation ahead of Apple's even if Apple has the floor mopped with every other aspect. If only the Quest was even remotely useful beyond gaming.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
I absolutely hate to say it but Meta's optics are downright a generation ahead of Apple's even if Apple has the floor mopped with every other aspect.
I'm guessing that the main reason for the difference in quality is that the Quest 3 uses physically larger display panels. Optics are likely more complicated with smaller displays.

rhemy123

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2021
I had this problem. And I think it was the way I was wearing the VP. When the fit is good, the text seems clear. When it is not the text isn’t fully clear. Over time it has improved. Also make sure your cameras are clear Of any smudges.

BrentC001

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2020
You're not going crazy, and my experience has been largely the same.

I've never needed glasses or contacts, but when I put on the AVP everything defocuses and it's the most frustrating thing in the world. I expect pass-through to look like the world on iPhone 6. That's fine and I don't need the virtual representation of my world to be 4K.

Where I am at a loss, and totally stunned is what the AVP renders in my space. Even the text it's running in the simulation is out of focus and lacks the sharpness my 2021 16" MBP has at 10 feet away.

To try and fix this I've tried all 3 strengths reader inserts. The lowest of .25 helped the most, but not enough to be significant. Just barely enough to justify the cost of keeping the inserts.

I've gone to 3 eye doctors, and received 3 glasses prescriptions, and ordered 3 pairs of RX inserts. None of which brings clarity and focus to the AVP.

I hope I can train my eyes to focus on the close content over time. I wonder if there is a way to get inserts that optically push everything away to make it easier to focus?

Eugr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
There could be a few things at play here:

• You expect too much. 4K per eye is not "retina" level resolution. At the sharpest spot it was measured around 44 ppd (pixels per degree), and it gets worse off-center. Human eye can resolve >60ppd, so it's not quite there yet.
  • Your eyes can't deal with convergence-accommodation conflict. Try to place windows approximately 4-5 feet away from you and see if it is sharper.
  • Your fit is off - try to reposition the headset higher or lower.
  • Realign the displays from Settings screen.
  • Finally, you may have a bad unit. Try one of the demo units in the store to see if it's any better.
Hope that helps.

OnTheeRize

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2015
Bay Area
i have 20/20 vision and my AVP does not look blurry. Maybe my vision isnt 20/20 after all lol
It hasnt been dicussed but what about internet and wifi connection? I feel like quality issues could be related to internet speed but no ones mentions it.

Eugr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
It hasnt been dicussed but what about internet and wifi connection? I feel like quality issues could be related to internet speed but no ones mentions it.

Other than streaming movies, Internet connection plays no role in this, everything is rendered locally on the device.

Reactions: OnTheeRize

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston

You should get an eye exam. Eyes change, and you could need a minor prescription for AVP even if you can see well enough to think you don't need them in the real world. Even the slightest vision deficiency is amplified 10x in AVP I've found. The most minor deviation from 20/20 vision or the slightest astigmatism (or both) will result in a less than perfect experience in the Vision Pro. I find it way more sensitive to this than Quest 2 and 3.

Last edited:

bhodinut

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2013
Run the brightness up a bit and have a bright environment. Your pupils will get smaller which will help the sharpness similar to a camera. In pure darkness they dilate wide open and you won't see things as clearly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.