Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
You should get an eye exam. Eyes change, and you could need a minor prescription for AVP even if you can see well enough to think you don't need them in the real world. Even the slightest vision deficiency is amplified 10x in AVP I've found. The most minor deviation from 20/20 vision or the slightest astigmatism (or both) will result in a less than perfect experience in the Vision Pro. I find it way more sensitive to this than Quest 2 and 3.
This.

I use cheap progressive readers that I buy from Amazon for $20. I only need them for reading, and have never needed glasses for distance viewing. So, when I bought the AVP, I just ordered readers in my magnification and that was that. But then I started to wonder if perhaps I should just get an eye-exam. The AVP was plenty good for most things, but I did notice a bit of bluriness in some situations; for example, some slight bluriness in the distance in environments. So, I went and got an eye exam, and ended up buying a custom prescription set of lenses from Zeiss. It was a small but signficant difference than my readers, and made a difference in sharpness in many areas.

I've also become acutely aware of things that can degrade my vision. Being tired for one, I tend to notice a difference in sharpness on the AVP. Or, if I have a hangover :)

Finally, fit and consistency of placing the AVP on your face can improve sharpness.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
This.

I use cheap progressive readers that I buy from Amazon for $20. I only need them for reading, and have never needed glasses for distance viewing. So, when I bought the AVP, I just ordered readers in my magnification and that was that. But then I started to wonder if perhaps I should just get an eye-exam. The AVP was plenty good for most things, but I did notice a bit of bluriness in some situations; for example, some slight bluriness in the distance in environments. So, I went and got an eye exam, and ended up buying a custom prescription set of lenses from Zeiss. It was a small but signficant difference than my readers, and made a difference in sharpness in many areas.

I've also become acutely aware of things that can degrade my vision. Being tired for one, I tend to notice a difference in sharpness on the AVP. Or, if I have a hangover :)

Finally, fit and consistency of placing the AVP on your face can improve sharpness.

100%, I find the AVP to be extremely sensitive to even the slightest vision deficiency and that goes beyond just having the right prescription. I notice none of these symptoms in a Quest 2 or 3 for example, but being the slightest bit dehydrated or tired throws me off on being able to achieve 100% crispness at all times in the Vision Pro. My prescription that allows for perfect vision outside Vision Pro is also just barely adequate inside Vision Pro, so I'm going back to the eye doctor to see if I may need a bit stronger of a correction for this particular use case. Also, you can need readers for everyday usage and you still may end up having a slight astigmatism that doesn't noticeably affect your vision in everyday life, but really does when your eyes are expected to see with high precision through these tiny, high-magnification AVP optics.

I've read a ton of optics analysis (and work in the field in a way) between Quest and VP and the issue I think is the display size. We're at the cutting edge for Micro OLED manufacturing capability and making a physically larger display (like Quest 3's LCD, almost twice the physical size as AVP's Micro OLED) is extremely difficult on the fabrication process at the moment. That forces the lenses to shrink proportionally to the display and causes everything to get a bit more optically demanding on your eyes, magnifying a huge amount to properly utilize these red blood cell sized pixels. Quest 3's optics feel "better" to your eye as the lens (and display) are physically bigger resulting in a far bigger sweet spot and less magnification overall, which is the direction Micro OLEDs will go as soon as it's cost and yield effective to make them larger. I would fully expect to see big chunky Q3-style lenses on the next gen Vision Pro if micro OLEDs can be easily made at a larger size by the time it hits production.

f1vespeed

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2008
Most reviews of this product, even the even-handed ones, have praised the displays as being incredibly sharp and "stunning".

They are not. They are sub-retina in a weird way. It's more enjoyable to play a game in low-resolution VR than to browse the web in mid-resolution on the current AVP displays. Biggest letdown of them all.

tskwara

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
Here is an article showing details on AVP blurriness. It seems like decisions were made to prioritize reduction of screen-door-effect over crispness and contrast. Wonder if this could be made configurable/dynamic somehow in a future software release.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
100%, I find the AVP to be extremely sensitive to even the slightest vision deficiency and that goes beyond just having the right prescription. I notice none of these symptoms in a Quest 2 or 3 for example, but being the slightest bit dehydrated or tired throws me off on being able to achieve 100% crispness at all times in the Vision Pro. My prescription that allows for perfect vision outside Vision Pro is also just barely adequate inside Vision Pro, so I'm going back to the eye doctor to see if I may need a bit stronger of a correction for this particular use case. Also, you can need readers for everyday usage and you still may end up having a slight astigmatism that doesn't noticeably affect your vision in everyday life, but really does when your eyes are expected to see with high precision through these tiny, high-magnification AVP optics.

I've read a ton of optics analysis (and work in the field in a way) between Quest and VP and the issue I think is the display size. We're at the cutting edge for Micro OLED manufacturing capability and making a physically larger display (like Quest 3's LCD, almost twice the physical size as AVP's Micro OLED) is extremely difficult on the fabrication process at the moment. That forces the lenses to shrink proportionally to the display and causes everything to get a bit more optically demanding on your eyes, magnifying a huge amount to properly utilize these red blood cell sized pixels. Quest 3's optics feel "better" to your eye as the lens (and display) are physically bigger resulting in a far bigger sweet spot and less magnification overall, which is the direction Micro OLEDs will go as soon as it's cost and yield effective to make them larger. I would fully expect to see big chunky Q3-style lenses on the next gen Vision Pro if micro OLEDs can be easily made at a larger size by the time it hits production.
Any difference when using the VP without a light seal? Not a solution, as you would have to hold it, but for me it seemed to improve everything. But I am also using inserts for distance, and the prescription is strong — so I don’t know if the curvature of a stronger prescription has an impact on sharpness, at least towards the edges.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
You're not imagining this. It's why I was disappointed with the device. Movies in cinema mode were great, but they weren't as sharp as on my OLED TV. Text in Safari wasn't as sharp as text in Safari on my Mac. I wouldn't call the text blurry, but it was noticeably less sharp than on my Mac.
The movies look pretty damn crystal clear especially since you’re comparing them by scale to a theater not a small tv

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.