Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
@yaxomoxay I have been a Headspace user for many years and quite enjoy the app and it's breathing focused style. However, I downloaded the 1 Giant Mind app just to give a try. I did the first step this evening and enjoyed it for the 15 minutes it lasted. I'll keep going through the steps and using the app alongside Headspace to see how things go for me. The big difference I see is that this one is a mantra-based meditation versus a breathing focused meditation. I'm in favor of both or either styles, basically whatever works best for the individual counts.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I should read up on what it is, but to my knowledge I haven’t formally meditated.

I had some pre-competition routines I found myself following. Some were probably silly superstitious things. But looking back on it all I wonder if it wasn’t a rudimentary form of mediation; because in the end it was about removing external distractions, controlling tension, focusing, and essentially drawing the bow.

I used to do things like that when in conservatory workshops in composition that required us to conduct our own works. I had got used to performing in recitals or concerts as a pianist, cellist or violinist from way back in childhood, but there's something way different and sort of weird to experience "performance" as something that involves standing with back to the audience. At first I found the idea quite unnerving.

Then a friend suggested I make my entrance onto the stage while imagining that my next task was to throw darts at the percussionsts once I got out there. "You will imagine having to focus on the far back row there" he said. "You will forget that all those people behind you will be focusing on you."

At that moment I was terrified because in the latter part of that sentence he was homed in on what I really feared: being judged by people I couldn't see. Then I laughed because I imagined how fearful a drummer in the little orchestra would be if she saw me raise not a baton but a hand with a dart and take aim at her. Anyway it got me out there the first time and after that it was just fun and I knew I could count on the pre-performance "meditation" to sooth any recurrence of stage fright. I used to vary the imaginary targets for my imaginary darts too, once I got to know some of the orchestra members a little better. I wouldn't say it was exactly a spiritual exercise. :p

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
@yaxomoxay I have been a Headspace user for many years and quite enjoy the app and it's breathing focused style. However, I downloaded the 1 Giant Mind app just to give a try. I did the first step this evening and enjoyed it for the 15 minutes it lasted. I'll keep going through the steps and using the app alongside Headspace to see how things go for me. The big difference I see is that this one is a mantra-based meditation versus a breathing focused meditation. I'm in favor of both or either styles, basically whatever works best for the individual counts.
I like 1 Giant Mind because they don’t talk to you constantly, however I did not do the mantra part, because saying the phrase repeatedly seemed to be artificial, me saying it even just in my mind, it seemed to get in the way. It’s easier for me to focus on breathing.

Disclaimer, I’ve not been doing meditation for a while now.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I like 1 Giant Mind because they don’t talk to you constantly, however I did not do the mantra part, because saying the phrase repeatedly seemed to be artificial, me saying it even just in my mind, it seemed to get in the way. It’s easier for me to focus on breathing.
Being artificial, I believe, is the point of the mantra. Whether it's focusing on breathing or repeating a phrase or word in our mind the idea is to get our minds off of whatever is bothering us. It's meant as a distraction and we work to calm the physical body and quiet the mind from all the stress and thoughts racing through it. The artificial mantra is the mechanism by which we accomplish it. Otherwise, if we thought the mantra was naturally occurring, I don't think we'd need to meditate.

Disclaimer, I’ve not been doing meditation for a while now.
Don't feel bad about that. I too fall off of the wagon for a while with my meditation and then eventually get back on. I just started back up two or three days ago after neglecting it for about 3 weeks. :)

Reactions: Huntn

ZStech

Suspended
Feb 3, 2019
Hey all,
Meditation is a fantastic way to rejuvinate energy. It has been know for millenia. I meditate, and find that it is a fantastic way to calm the body, and release stress. It is also a great way to escape the troubles or frustrations that may arise throughout everyday life. :)

I am just wondering how many people here on MR meditate, and what benefits (if any) you find that you get from meditation?

And for those who do not meditate, please feel free to express your opinion of meditation, and any question that you have concerning meditation, feel free to ask. :)

EDIT: Alot of people misinterpret meditation as being connected with religious beliefs or practices. Meditation is not connected with religion, but some religions use it as a form of prayer. I for one, am not religious, and use meditation simply as an enrichment of the mind.
I think about to start to meditate because of all the negativity out there.

Reactions: LizKat

ZStech

Suspended
Feb 3, 2019
Reframe it to from “because of all the negativity out there” to “find the positivity out there and let the positivity inside of me shine”.
I know that it sounds like a bad fortune cookie, but it actually changes things in the long run.
Sure, doing my best. Sometimes it's hard to realize that all I need I have already. Everything else does't really matter. Just remembered "Linkin Park - In The End" :)

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I think about to start to meditate because of all the negativity out there.

Yah when I find myself focused on how negative things seem, then I do know it's time to get re-centered somehow... and then I often realize it's been awhile since regular meditation drifted into "quick fixes" during the day "now and then"... lol... en route to "never"... and off I've gone again to where ripples in a pond seemed like tsunamis and finally woke me up to how far off center I had drifted.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
First long (15 min) meditation with my 12yo son. He's ADHD and diagnosed in the autism spectrum (but he's very high-functioning... sometimes too much!).
He loved it; he just loved it! He was able to stay still with his eyes closed for the entire time, and he said that it felt "strange". He wants to meditate again. Note, he was very grumpy before the meditation (that is, misbehaving). After the meditation he became an angel (probably due to relaxation).

Only negative is that when we were about one minute in my other lovely son decided to put electronic music on his stereo, probably with volume to the max so we had to restart :)

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
Meditation, like high tea, is best experienced with a touch of formality.

Open, Reinforce goal, Vow to repeat session, Feel good suggestions .Close.

Meditation/auto suggestion using this formal frame work has been a life changer for me. a2

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
So I tried the 1GiantMInd app at the suggestion of @yaxomoxay and just managed the first step now.

Excellent, a lot better than the very expensive course I took 4 or 5 years ago and then dropped as I didn't take with the prof. By chance, although yesterday was a quite good day had some stressful issues to deal with this weekend.

The technique and organization looks like something I can stick with. I will give it a go this month anyway. Thanks again.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
So I tried the 1GiantMInd app at the suggestion of @yaxomoxay and just managed the first step now.

Excellent, a lot better than the very expensive course I took 4 or 5 years ago and then dropped as I didn't take with the prof. By chance, although yesterday was a quite good day had some stressful issues to deal with this weekend.

The technique and organization looks like something I can stick with. I will give it a go this month anyway. Thanks again.
I've been using 1 Giant Mind as well and finished up the introductory 12 day program. Yesterday I began the 30 day program.

I also still use Headspace as well. For me, they both work well and I like them. The only real difference is that in Headspace the mantra is about counting breaths, and in 1GM it's about repeating a word, ahum. To me, they seem arbitrary and can be interchanged or substituted to whatever the user wants or the user can just sit in silence and not do a mantra.

The goal of each is the same though and that is to help bring awareness about and a sense of calm and I think they both deliver on that.

One thing I like about 1GM is that there is the option to have some very soft, subtle background music playing while you meditate. Headspace doesn't have this and once in a while I'll put some music on by Liquid Mind and have that at a low volume when I meditate with Headspace.

1GM, Headspace, Calm and all other apps are not unlike the candy commercial, "There's no wrong way to eat a Reese's".

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas

Glad you liked it! Might I inquire on the nature of the course? Was it TM?
[doublepost=1552870906][/doublepost]
I've been using 1 Giant Mind as well and finished up the introductory 12 day program. Yesterday I began the 30 day program.

I also still use Headspace as well. For me, they both work well and I like them. The only real difference is that in Headspace the mantra is about counting breaths, and in 1GM it's about repeating a word, ahum. To me, they seem arbitrary and can be interchanged or substituted to whatever the user wants or the user can just sit in silence and not do a mantra.

The goal of each is the same though and that is to help bring awareness about and a sense of calm and I think they both deliver on that.

One thing I like about 1GM is that there is the option to have some very soft, subtle background music playing while you meditate. Headspace doesn't have this and once in a while I'll put some music on by Liquid Mind and have that at a low volume when I meditate with Headspace.

1GM, Headspace, Calm and all other apps are not unlike the candy commercial, "There's no wrong way to eat a Reese's".

The idea of the mantra is from Vedic sources (aka "vedic science"). I think that research has shown that the brain "lights up" in different ways between the various methods ( mantra, breathing, zen/emptying etc.).

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Glad you liked it! Might I inquire on the nature of the course? Was it TM?

No, it was a referral as I was looking to reduce stress - I had been suffering from acid reflux and ti turned out to be in fact a hiatal hernia. I didn't warm to the psychologist leading the group although the group itself was fine and we actually kept in touch for awhile. The course was mostly a kind of mish-mash.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I have been meditating quite regularly for the past few months. The relief, the feelings, and the inner calm hasn't diminished. Actually, it improved quite a bit.
Last week I meditated outdoors at lunchtime. It was very deep, and to my amazement when I opened my eyes everything was blue. Just blue. It was a weird, great feeling. My understanding is that it is due to the eyelids "filtering" red light, but I have to admit that the look of the world plus the total concentration was quite a lovely thing.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have not purposely meditated since my last flurry of posts in this thread, but I find that I still have benefit in how my brain seems to run in the background, a flow of well-being, possibly endorphins, producing a low level euphoric experience as I sit here typing on my iPad. However I realize that it was not the start of meditating that brought me to this mental place. It was running as a young adult and later walking while observing the natural world around me that helped me see..

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Who has been officially meditating (sitting in a quiet space for just this purpose) for more than 6 month? If so would you say you experience is evolving or is it static, just a peaceful interlude?

Easttime

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2015
I've been doing it for years. It continues to evolve and deepen. It gets the brain and body into a different place neurophysiologically that has physical and mental health benefits. More common physiologic states in our "western" societies are sleep, or getting wound up and excited. Meditation brings on a different state that takes practice. It's not a big deal, but has persistent benefits beyond the meditation activity.

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
Meditation has been known to be beneficial to the human mind and body over many century's past.

Meditation can be very lite weight, portable, and self induced. It has been known by many names, and practiced as part of a religion by some. It has great power to enhance the well being and very lives of its practitioners. Best of all it's free.

Of the many forms of meditation I have personalty pursued, I found the most direct, and effective method to be self hypnosis.

I have used self hypnosis for many years, mostly for motivation, but dealing too with the normal pits of life. It has worked well . :) . a2

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Who has been officially meditating (sitting in a quiet space for just this purpose) for more than 6 month? If so would you say you experience is evolving or is it static, just a peaceful interlude?

I have been meditating for quite a while now. In 2020 I meditated all 37 days at least once, and often twice a day. 20 minutes each session, mantra guided. I even have a meditation cushion.
The experience is ever evolving. It's kind of a roller coaster. Sometimes I feel connected to the universe, sometimes I am more nervous and impatient. Sometimes I am more focused, sometime I am more distracted. I think that's the beauty of it. Since I've become more consistent, I can't recall a single session in which I "woke up" in worse shape than before the meditation. I always feel more joyful, or at least more tranquil.
[automerge]1581091535[/automerge]
I've been doing it for years. It continues to evolve and deepen. It gets the brain and body into a different place neurophysiologically that has physical and mental health benefits. More common physiologic states in our "western" societies are sleep, or getting wound up and excited. Meditation brings on a different state that takes practice. It's not a big deal, but has persistent benefits beyond the meditation activity.

Very well said. Western society used to have similar practices (I mean, praying the rosary or chanting Gregorian chants is basically mantra meditation, and contemplation used to be a staple of our society often in the form of adoration of some sacred item).

Reactions: Easttime and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thanks for the replies! I agree that mediation is beneficial, possibly very beneficial however it is accomplished. :D

For myself the feeling of well being associated with meditation, can achieved in multiple ways, sometimes even when typing on my iPad about certain topics, a matter of self reflection, not that it equates to answers. ;)

And it’s possible that mediation leads somewhere, that I did not give it enough of a chance to arrived at. But my impression is that is a personal expectation issue. :)

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
The prescribed meditation method for the age is Mantra Meditation. AKA japa.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.