Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
I don’t like mantras, because it’s like a crutch to occupy my mind. :)

The word mantra means to control the mind, after all, a true yoga practitioner's purpose is to control the mind and senses in order to ultimately attain samadhi (absorption in the supreme). For instance, if your objective is the supreme, you chant a mantra directed to the supreme to fill your mind and senses with the supreme. This is the perfect and easiest process for controlling the fickle and unsteady mind. Of course, it is optional; if, for example, you prefer listening to your babbling mind telling you what to do, dreaming about how many glasses of Budweiser you will drink tonight and how many cigarettes you will smoke, what you will buy from the take-away place afterwards, etc., then that is up to you, if that is your idea of the best way to employ the mind and make advancement in life.

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
Mantra is one of the many approaches we can take to reach the goal of enhancing our thought process, and thus improving our daily lives.

Mantra is very effective, as are the many formal means of reaching altered conscious state.

For some the process is distracting, for others it is a pleasant lead into a place of peace and power.

Peace comes from isolation away from the cares and worry's of the day.

Power comes from the realization that you can control your mind to a greater degree than you ever dreamed possible.

It maters not how you get there, and it does take practice. But each time you journey, it gets easier, and your life gets better. :) a2

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The word mantra means to control the mind, after all, a true yoga practitioner's purpose is to control the mind and senses in order to ultimately attain samadhi (absorption in the supreme). For instance, if your objective is the supreme, you chant a mantra directed to the supreme to fill your mind and senses with the supreme. This is the perfect and easiest process for controlling the fickle and unsteady mind. Of course, it is optional; if, for example, you prefer listening to your babbling mind telling you what to do, dreaming about how many glasses of Budweiser you will drink tonight and how many cigarettes you will smoke, what you will buy from the take-away place afterwards, etc., then that is up to you, if that is your idea of the best way to employ the mind and make advancement in life.
When I was dedicatedly meditating, some apps advised use of mantra and others did not. I tried mantras, but felt like it was a way to stay focused and not wander, but I preferred silence kind of. ;) Instead of artificially generating a sound in my head to focus on which seemed to undermine my peace or to help focus the mind, instead I would focus on the sound of my breathing, the sound of my heat beating, or watch the light show behing my eyelids. I did not have to generate a repeating sound To stay focused.

To clarify, I am not saying this, as to signal some form of disapproval for the use of mantras or superiority on my part by not using them, and I agree with you, to each his own. :)

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Another process to control or pacify the mind is by focussing on the breath. The mind can be visualised as a pool or lake of water and thoughts are ripples or waves on the surface, depending on the size or intensity of them. The idea is to eliminate all thoughts and make the surface of the lake of the mind still. If whilst meditating a thought enters, you should not follow it, allow it to die away. If a question arises, do not answer it, try to continue focussing on the still lake of water, tranquil and peaceful. You can say to the question, "Yes, I will answer you, but not just now. When I've finished meditating." You can gain a lot of benefit and a sense of satisfaction from doing this.

Retsiem

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2017
Who has been officially meditating (sitting in a quiet space for just this purpose) for more than 6 month? If so would you say you experience is evolving or is it static, just a peaceful interlude?
I have. For over 20 years now ... And it did what I intended it to do.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I just did a 15 minute session, starting at the beginning of 1Giant Mind (app free), I feel good. Let’s see what happens. :)

I looked at the Headspace app and it is a subscription based plan. I might try the intro to see how it differs.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
More thoughts on meditation. Btw, it does not have to be a dedicated meditation session, but that certainly helps if there are goals associated with meditation that you desire. What goal? More calm, contentment, and being less distant, and more in touch with your reality, your existence, although I would not describe myself as agitated or not content.

I’ve stated several times in this thread, that part of the problems I had with meditation was an expectations problem as if meditation would give me more insight into my existence. I can’t say it does that. No doors are opened, no gray screens pulled back, but it can do wonders for your perception, the here and now. It’s like sitting in a room you’ve sat in for years and suddenly seeing it as if for the first time.

Through meditation, it’s as if reality/awareness becomes front and center, while inner thoughts recede and you are primarily observing. There can be moments where you are suddenly very aware and have gained a different perspective, or something that is no longer taken for granted.

Mentioned previously, I had not meditated, but sitting in my car recently, I became very aware of my sense of touch, feeling the texture of the steering wheel. Then I touched other parts of the interior of the car. I‘d describe it as a realization moment, experiencing your environment in a jogged manner, here and now, as if something that had been turned off, like my sense of touch, (or taken for granted) turned back on and suddenly I was focused on it.

Regarding inner monologue, I think this is related and asked about before for curiosity, not alarm, how many people are there who can type a sentence and not hear the words verbalized internally even if it is very subtle? You see the word and as you recognize it, and you don’t in essence hear it at some level?

It‘s hard to say at what point that started happening with me. I assume most people do it. Most times it’s simple planning, putting thoughts into words, but voiced in my head. However it can infrequently become an alter ego, like a third party talking to me such as “ok what now” or “let me think about it”, but it’s me addressing myself. They are no conversations like a third party has appeared in my head. ;)

Anyway, after meditating this morning, I’ve decide that one goal would be to quiet my inner voice, which I am able to accomplish for a period of time after meditating. Even though that goal goes down the drain like when I’m typing a message at the moment. ;) Every word is verbalized. That’s not anything to be bothered by, I don’t think.

Through meditation, I can observe without running my inner monologue, staying more focused on the here and now and stop thinking though my plans for the day or other things on my mind. Not to imply that thinking through plans is bad, they are certainly necessary, but I can be so wrapped up in a multitude of things that I become distant from the here and now. And who is to say that those plans are not still not being thought abou, but in a more subtle manner? ?

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
To achieve success in any form of meditation, your goal must be clear and concise. For example :

"From this day forward, when I am to speak publicly, I shall smile ,and feel a wave of calmness and confidence sweep over my mind and body."

Then, while you are in your enhanced state, practice smiling and feeling that wave come over you.

Some people like to work in a "Key Word" here to trigger the process on demand. a2

Reactions: yaxomoxay

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Kriya Yoga
Thanks, that’s good info. I did not know that yoga included meditating. But I was asking what did it do for you that you wanted? :)
[automerge]1581895438[/automerge]
To achieve success in any form of meditation, your goal must be clear and concise. For example :

"From this day forward, when I am to speak publicly, I shall smile ,and feel a wave of calmness and confidence sweep over my mind and body."

Then, while you are in your enhanced state, practice smiling and feeling that wave come over you.

Some people like to work in a "Key Word" here to trigger the process on demand. a2
Is this more like self hypnosis? I’m not being critical, but my goals are not so socially behavioral (Not a judgement.) :)

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
Not sure what you mean by "socially behavioral" Your goal can be anything: Peace of Mind, Coping with the Worry's of life, or just plain learning to relax.

All forms of meditation strive for the same goal, and that is the goal that you personally choose. Pick one. a2

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
For me meditation is to get back a feeling of being capable and comfortable in my own skin no matter what I'm doing or where I am, and no matter how I got to feeling otherwise (if I even have a clue). I'm the sort tends to say "sure no problem" a little too often in the real world, and also one who likes to keep commitments, so... when push comes to shove, if I'm going to manage to keep promises to others or to myself, and still feel like I enjoy being on this planet, meditation for a few minutes comes in handy.

I'm not aiming to finish or to facilitate directly some project by way of the meditation, just aiming for "this feels like a good day coming up" --as if I had literally just rebooted the day and am once again in that quiet time of very early morning that I really like a lot, because it feels then like all things are possible.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Not sure what you mean by "socially behavioral" Your goal can be anything: Peace of Mind, Coping with the Worry's of life, or just plain learning to relax.

All forms of meditation strive for the same goal, and that is the goal that you personally choose. Pick one. a2
I’m just questioning but not being critical, I was using the term trying to describe a social behavior or social conditioning which reminds me of self hypnosis, ie when I smile at a group of people, instead of feeling nervous, I’ll feel waves of confidence. So just trying to clarify, and no, I’m no meditation expert, not familiar with all the possible spectrum of goals and/or as distinguished from self hypnosis. :)

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
Huntn. I used the public speaking analogy as an example of goal oriented meditation. There are many other choices including no goal at all.

Meditation is a very personal pleasure and it comes in many forms.

I embrace all and debate none. A2

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Been meditating a long time, with a Daily Pactice for the last ~7 years

My favorite teacher, Adyashanti, is back from a sabbatical year, and I will restart my community meditation again with him to the weekend.
I am Super Excited.
It makes a lot of difference to sit with an enlightened teacher regularly, for sure.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
My favorite teacher, Adyashanti, is back from a sabbatical year, and I will restart my community meditation again with him to the weekend.
Ah well, I have enjoyed Adya's teachings over the years.
Now he is ending his SundayCommunity practices, and letting Mukti (his wife) take over that business. So that’s it for me, as I don’t feel very drawn to her. I wasn’t that surprised when he announced it either.
It haven’t felt like anything evolved energetically with it, so….

I am doing a lot more with energy work, and the awareness of it, nowadays in combination with meditation. I have done a lot of shamanic work earlier, so it have some resemblance with that as well.
I am good with where I am going, and happy with what I've learned from Adya, and happier to get even further away from everything close to any Buddhism and/or religious connection with Meditation.

Not trashing religions and its role for the evolution of meditation and spiritually, but it’s only a small part as I see it and often limited in a way that can be less beneficial then without it.
I have learned Meditation myself through the yoga tradition, which to me always felt more balanced and freer then through all meditation affected by Buddhism or other religions that I've encountered.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Linkbill

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2023
Charlotte
Actually I do. 10 minutes of meditation in the morning helps me collect my thoughts and prepare my body for the work day. I would like to devote more time, but work and family require it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.