Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rachelcenter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2019
I keep getting fail errors when I run disk utility on "data" (see attached screenshot).

File System verify or repair failed. : (-69845)

I've tried in normal mode, safe mode and recovery mode. Any clue how to fix this without wiping my operating system? Apple doesn't seem to recognize this error and they're kind of giving me a hard time about passing this error code onto the developers so that they can tell me what this code relates to. I'm running disk utility because when I ran it a few days ago, it solved some permissions issues that werent allowing me to open Adobe After Effects. Now when I open Adobe Acrobat DC and try to embed a document with a password, the password box wont pop open (on my desktop computer) but it will on my laptop so it makes me think theres lingering permissions issue on the desktop computer. So I'm trying to repair the permissions with no luck when it comes to the "data" column in disk utility. Any help would be appreciated.

When I couldnt get into After Effects, Adobe remoted in and tried for hours to fix it, and couldnt figure it out themselves. So I'm not confident they are gonna be able to fix this one. I would like to leave them out of this if possible, because they started doing all this wild stuff to my computer to experiment with it to fix the issue, like they tried wiping all my fonts. I dont want to involve them because they always resort to the most wild things that end up being a big setback for me.

Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 2.51.04 PM.png

disk utility.png

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
I've tried in normal mode, safe mode and recovery mode.

Have to ask: did you try repair in recovery on the full APFS container like suggested in the error message (ie. Disk Utility > View > Show All Devices)?

Attachments

• du.png
    du.png
    48 KB · Views: 249

rachelcenter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2019
Have to ask: did you try repair in recovery on the full APFS container like suggested in the error message (ie. Disk Utility > View > Show All Devices)?
I dont remember if there was a container, but in recovery mode, i made sure to run "first aid" on all 3 instances where it listed "Macintosh" and data was the only one to fail.

darkpaw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
I dont remember if there was a container, but in recovery mode, i made sure to run "first aid" on all 3 instances where it listed "Macintosh" and data was the only one to fail.
If it's formatted as APFS then there is definitely a container. Just click the View button in the toolbar and show everything. Then repair the container above.

rachelcenter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2019
If it's formatted as APFS then there is definitely a container. Just click the View button in the toolbar and show everything. Then repair the container above.
and if theres not a container? i've repaired everything above and gotten the green check mark. but data is still failing. and im still having this adobe acrobat issue.

darkpaw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
and if theres not a container? i've repaired everything above and gotten the green check mark. but data is still failing. and im still having this adobe acrobat issue.
As I said if it's formatted as APFS then there IS a container. Have you pressed the View button and shown everything?

rachelcenter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2019
As I said if it's formatted as APFS then there IS a container. Have you pressed the View button and shown everything?
I’m in recovery mode , I clicked view mode, show only volumes, there is definitely no APFS

darkpaw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
I’m in recovery mode , I clicked view mode, show only volumes, there is definitely no APFS
You're misunderstanding what we're saying. If you click the View button in the toolbar and choose "SHOW ALL DEVICES" you will see a "Container" item in the left-hand side. Look in your first picture in this thread; your disk is formatted as APFS:

Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 2.51.04 PM.png

rachelcenter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2019
OK I’m running disc utility through recovery mode. I have highlighted the container. It’s scary that the bar shows red, i’ve never seen that before. Anyway I ran disk utility on the container and it gave me the green checkmark saying it passed. After it passed and I pressed OK, the word container is no longer there on the left side of the screen

rachelcenter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2019
OK I’m running disc utility through recovery mode. I have highlighted the container. It’s scary that the bar shows red, i’ve never seen that before. Anyway I ran disk utility on the container and it gave me the green checkmark saying it passed. After it passed and I pressed OK, the word container is no longer there on the left side of the screen
But I think you solved it because this time when I ran disk utility on data after doing the container run, it didn’t fail this time

darkpaw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
Let's hope this fixes your issue.

(I don't know what you mean when you say "the bar shows red"? Also, the container will only show if you are showing all devices. It's possible that you need to click the View button again and show them. Not sure why Disk Utility would change the view after performing a repair.)

Reactions: rachelcenter

rachelcenter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2019
I love it when the internet is more knowledgeable then calling apple. When I called apple today they told me there were only really 2 options for fixing this issue. one of which was wiping my operating system. That seemed a little extreme to me. shows apple doesnt know what they're talking about because the solution you posed wasnt extreme at all and solved the issue. thank you soooo much

Reactions: fc4090

darkpaw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
With APFS the OS is stored in the "Macintosh HD" volume - the one that's immediately above "Macintosh HD - Data" (not the one at the top) and is greyed out.

Your user data (user accounts etc.) is stored in "Macintosh HD - Data".

The highest-level "Macintosh HD" item at the top has a container in it which contains "Macintosh HD" (the OS) and "Macintosh HD - Data" (your data).

When you boot into macOS your desktop shows just the one drive: "Macintosh HD". macOS intelligently keeps the OS separate from your user data so that if you need to reinstall the OS it only affects that particular part of the drive. It also means it's more secure as apps shouldn't be able to break your OS files.

It's all a bit technical, and I doubt the first-line support you'd get on the phone to Apple would go into the detail required to get you working again. I would only ever use Apple Support as a last resort if I couldn't fix my problem from forums like these.

Last edited:

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
I love it when the internet is more knowledgeable then calling apple. When I called apple today they told me there were only really 2 options for fixing this issue. one of which was wiping my operating system. That seemed a little extreme to me. shows apple doesnt know what they're talking about because the solution you posed wasnt extreme at all and solved the issue. thank you soooo much
Correction Apple Support knows nothing. Apple's Software Engineer and Hardware Engineers are where Apple's smarts are.

Apple Support follows a script.

rachelcenter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2019
With APFS the OS is stored in the "Macintosh HD" volume - the one that's immediately above "Macintosh HD - Data" (not the one at the top) and is greyed out.

The highest-level "Macintosh HD" item at the top has a container in it which contains B and C.

When you boot into macOS your desktop shows just the one drive: "Macintosh HD". macOS intelligently keeps the OS separate from your user data so that if you need to reinstall the OS it only affects that particular part of the drive. It also means it's more secure as apps shouldn't be able to break your OS files.

It's all a bit technical, and I doubt the first-line support you'd get on the phone to Apple would go into the detail required to get you working again. I would only ever use Apple Support as a last resort if I couldn't fix my problem from forums like these.
What bothered me was, this was supposedly a "senior" technician on the phone with me. they should know more then the first script-reader that you get on the phone with apple.

Rayamedia

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2014
Durango, Spain
Fantastic!

I had the same errors on TWO m1's. Appeared at the same time. Contacted Apple support they guided me through Disk Utils, shared my screen etc - all the stuff I had already done. I also formatted the disc and reinstalled, errors came back after a few days. Apple support said not to use time machine as it might be copying something over. So I formatted again and manually restored. Fine for a few days but the errors gradually came back.

Pulling my hair. out at this point. New mac studio with errors! Found this and ran disk utils on the container disk (Why apple support don't know about this is ridiculous) fixed the disk!

If you experience these kind of errors it looks like they are on the snapshots but the problem is the disk itself. Use the magic view menu first and show your snapshots. Delete them and then check the disk in recovery mode. If you keep the snapshots then when you check the disk later the errors get shown in the snapshots even though the disk is fixed as the snap shots are of the unfixed disc. This could lead to confusion over whether the disc is fixed or not

Rayamedia

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2014
Durango, Spain
Not so fantastic. This error comes back. I am fixing the disk daily.... Looks like I will have to return the Studio unless anybody has any ideas?

Rayamedia

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2014
Durango, Spain
Does anybody know what exactly is an 'error: doc-id tree: record exists for doc-id 8487, file-id 3279950 but no inode references this doc-id'?

Be good to know how serious this issue is

filmjames

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2014
I have the same exact issue with my M1 Max MacBook Pro. It is causing a ton of Finder errors, I can’t Airdrop anything at all, and the machine runs slower than my Intel MacBook on Lightroom, especially when running multiple displays. It can’t sidecar to my iPad any longer, it just hangs, and I get the spinning beach ball more and more. I’ve run all the first aid on every level of the disk there is and still come up with errors.

I am totally fine with resetting the system if needed, but I have a bad feeling that it will just continue. I did restore this machine from my old MacBook, could that be part of the issue?

mk-iphone-user

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2009
Can't thank you enough. Got me to an exit code 0 after getting an exit code 8. Whew!

Rayamedia

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2014
Durango, Spain
I am still having to repair the disc at least once a week. My m1 laptop about once a month... With both having the same issue I can't help but think it's a software issue. Anybody reading this who has an M1 - check your discs. Be interesting to see if there is a common issue. If it keeps going I will have to get Apple to look at it. Maybe the new OS will sort it ... Don't seem to have side effects from the errors ...

KerryXEX

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2008
Munich / Germany
Thanks a lot - I had the very same issue on M1 MacBook macOS Ventura.
Only DELETING the snapshots and then re-doing first aid would help and actually correct the errors.

I had to do this in Recory mode as one snapshot was showing as "resource busy". So I rebooted in to Recovery Mode, started Disk Utility, set "Show all devices" and "Show Snapshots" under "View" menu and then delete the snapshots both on the System disk level as well as on the Data partition.
Then re-do the First-Aid on Container disk level and data disk level. All with 0 errors.

Reactions: jordii

yogithesymbian

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2023
Thanks a lot - I had the very same issue on M1 MacBook macOS Ventura.
Only DELETING the snapshots and then re-doing first aid would help and actually correct the errors.

I had to do this in Recory mode as one snapshot was showing as "resource busy". So I rebooted in to Recovery Mode, started Disk Utility, set "Show all devices" and "Show Snapshots" under "View" menu and then delete the snapshots both on the System disk level as well as on the Data partition.
Then re-do the First-Aid on Container disk level and data disk level. All with 0 errors.
so we need recovery mode first because of memory ( 8GB ) not enought right ? because i get disk utility is not responding , i use mbp m1

Barkevious

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2023
Phoenix, AZ

The highest-level "Macintosh HD" item at the top has a container in it which contains "Macintosh HD" (the OS) and "Macintosh HD - Data" (your data).

I know I am late to this thread but my 27" late 2012 iMac just kind of slammed it's head into the wall and all weekend I have been stuck in repair disk, Utilities, releasing NVRA cycle nightmares and I REALLY could use some assistance. I found this thread by googling the errors I am seeing on First Aid, and kind of did what you asked Rachel to do during this thread last year, I viewed my container and ran it on Container Disk2 and got "Storage System verify or repair failed (-69716)" and now have no clue what to do, I am good at taking direction, I have never unmounted anything but was wondering if you had any advice where to go from here? I am desperate

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.