Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

awg0013

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2021
Yeah... I'm not sure if it'll work in one port for any pair of monitors, since I used 2x USB-C to displayport adapters + 1x USB-C to HDMI adapter (and the 4th port was for charging), but I can at least confirm that you can totally get it to work.

The most hassle-free way I have found is to simply get an eGPU and just connect the one Thunderbolt cable, I think. Does everything. The GPU itself doesn't even seem to matter because anything would be better than integrated Intel graphics.
To confirm, you're using two DisplayPort/USB-C adapter and plugging each of them directly into your MacBook, and you're plugging in an HDMI/USB-C adapter directly into your MacBook too. So there are three independent cables plugging into your MacBook (no hub or anything like that)?

Reactions: bill-p

pppez80

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2021
Los Angeles & New York
Confirming that is exactly what I did; all original adapters too. I actually explored the hub route too with three different devices but no luck. Just confirming again ppl got this to work on the MB Pro 13'' Late 2018?

To make me feel better about my misery — even in clamshell mode one screen would need to run on 1080p right?

I have since this experiment gotten a Mac Pro 2013 for $1000 to drive my 3 external screen setup without issues. I am assuming that I will swap my MB Pro with the upcoming series and assume it will be a non-issue with the new series.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Install Windows on it. Then you can use DisplayPort's MST mode, and have all 3 connected via 1 displayport cable. The Macbook Pro has capable hardware, Apple just chooses not to implement the spec.

pppez80

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2021
Los Angeles & New York
Oh — sorry what does that mean? Purely installing Windows in the boot manager would allow me to use 3 external screen in native osx mode? Or does this assume running OSX in something like Parallels?

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
No - you need to run Windows natively on your MBP instead of OS X. And forget about running OS X in a VM such as Parallels Desktop - the experience will suck due to the lack of graphics acceleration.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Any chance you could post a picture here or img.ur just to make sure I am not making an obvious mistake?

You are operating in clamshell mode right?

Sorry, I don't have the machine anymore, so I can't post anything with it. But I know it should work.

Heck, someone was even able to get 3 external monitors to work with the 2014 13". Including the internal monitor:

For the 13" 2018, the surefire way I found to get it to work with 3x external monitors including internal was to just plug in an eGPU. Any cheap one that has 3 ports (DisplayPort, HDMI) will do.

awg0013

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2021
Yes. 3 independent cables plugged into my MacBook. And yes, it's a 2018 Pro.
I'm purchasing these cables (2 of the USB-C/DisplayPort, 1 of the USB-C/HDMI) and I'm going to try to use three external displays with my 13-inch, 2018 MacBook Pro in clamshell mode. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 4.58.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 4.58.27 PM.png
    213.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 4.58.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 4.58.43 PM.png
    213.7 KB · Views: 68

pppez80

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2021
Los Angeles & New York
I'm purchasing these cables (2 of the USB-C/DisplayPort, 1 of the USB-C/HDMI) and I'm going to try to use three external displays with my 13-inch, 2018 MacBook Pro in clamshell mode. Wish me luck!
Great — definitely please report back and see if you have more luck maybe without the Apple adapter in the middle of the HDMI connection. What resolutions are you trying to run?

awg0013

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2021
Great — definitely please report back and see if you have more luck maybe without the Apple adapter in the middle of the HDMI connection. What resolutions are you trying to run?
Will do. I'm running 1080p across my TV and monitors.

pppez80

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2021
Los Angeles & New York
waiting on my new monitors to come in! Needed some with DisplayPorts. Will be sure to post an update if I can get it to work (or if I can't get it to work)!
Awesome - I for now went down the Mac Pro 2013 route ($1k damage from CL) which nicely supports the 3 externals and its nice having a second, stationary CPU. Still want to see if I can solve this for my Macbook Pro 2018 though. Pic attached.

IMG_7233.JPG

awg0013

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2021
Strong setup mate! Glad to know you got something working.

I've got bad news on my end though :(. Even with the two displayport-to-USB-C cables and monitors and the HDMI-to-USB-C cable and TV, I could not get my Macbook to work with 3 external monitors in clamshell mode. Planning to return everything because I don't have a 2013 backup like yourself. Here's to experimentation though!

pppez80

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2021
Los Angeles & New York
@awg0013 that sucks — but thanks for letting me know. if it makes you feel any better I even went to the extent of ordering three different external hubs with no luck. I could also not find a single true proof on YouTube or here of someone having it done correctly.

Maybe someone will jump on this thread and tell us where we are going wrong.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Maybe someone will jump on this thread and tell us where we are going wrong.
The issue is that apparently three external screens, even in clamshell mode, aren't possible using Intel graphics in macOS. So, either get an MBP with dedicated AMD graphics, use DisplayLink, or... Windows.

pppez80

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2021
Los Angeles & New York
Can you clarify with you mean by use DisplayLink? The software was installed but I figure there is a hardware piece to it too? Can you post a link? Does this still allow to run the three screens independently?

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Can you clarify with you mean by use DisplayLink?
It's basically a "virtual graphics card" that connects via USB and makes the CPU do all the work normally handled by a "real" graphics card/chip.

It requires a software component (the DisplayLink driver) and the hardware (the USB dongle you connect the monitor to).

For instance

Yes, these DisplayLink-attached monitors will work independently. Just like a normal monitor. But they can be noticeably sluggish.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.