Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mizzoucat

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2005
Picked one up today at Walmart for 149 and still trying to decide how I feel about it. The mount needs to tilt back farther, frankly. I find my fingers keep colliding with the underside of the iPad when I type thanks to the way I hold my hands over the keyboard.
The Apple faithful made it out to seem like this thing was the greatest thing since sliced bread but so far I‘m squarely on the fence, and that’s at half off the original full retail price. I couldn’t imagine paying 300 bucks for this thing.
Yep, severely overpriced at full retail and not that great to begin with. See my post above for the best case to get.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
Fell out of love with mine. It’s very expensive for something that turns the iPad Pro 12.9 into a sub-par laptop, especially when I already have a real laptop - MacBook Pro.

The MKB is really heavy — taking the 12.9” from 1.4 lbs to 3.02 lbs, so there’s not really any weight advantage. The trackpad cursor doesn’t work everywhere, surprisingly. And I actually enjoy the iPad much more as a tablet.

Got the Smart Keyboard Folio for 1/2 price on EBay. Love that it folds over backwards for tablet use. Like the waterproof keys. For the rare times I miss the trackpad I bought a $20 Logitech wireless mini-mouse. So, the only things missing are the usb-c charging port (useful) and the backlit keyboard (although the virtual keyboard is already “backlit”).

For me the iPad is a primarily a tablet computer, and the Smart Keyboard allows me to type without straining my neck looking down, as well as keeping the full screen available for content.

Reactions: LibbyLA and rkuo

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Fell out of love with mine. It’s very expensive for something that turns the iPad Pro 12.9 into a sub-par laptop, especially when I already have a real laptop - MacBook Pro.

The MKB is really heavy — taking the 12.9” from 1.4 lbs to 3.02 lbs, so there’s not really any weight advantage. The trackpad cursor doesn’t work everywhere, surprisingly. And I actually enjoy the iPad much more as a tablet.

Got the Smart Keyboard Folio for 1/2 price on EBay. Love that it folds over backwards for tablet use. Like the waterproof keys. For the rare times I miss the trackpad I bought a $20 Logitech wireless mini-mouse. So, the only things missing are the usb-c charging port (useful) and the backlit keyboard (although the virtual keyboard is already “backlit”).

For me the iPad is a primarily a tablet computer, and the Smart Keyboard allows me to type without straining my neck looking down, as well as keeping the full screen available for content.
The Magic definitely adds the weight. I attach the iPad only when I use the keyboard. Otherwise I use the iPad detached. At home without any case or folio. I have a skin and film screen protector on it for scratch protection. When I’m traveling, I have a cool zippered pouch where I can fit all the accessories in it.

Reactions: prospervic

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015

I have both the Smart Keyboard Folio as well as the MKB for my 12.9. If I take the iPP out of my house, to a coffee shop or traveling I put it in the SKF. For use at home when I’m on the couch in front of the tv I always use the MKB, trackpad plus the backlit keyboard are invaluable. Out at a coffee shop there is usually enough overhead lighting that the keys are illuminated well enough on the SKF. If I could only have one it would be the MKB. I have an inexpensive Smart Folio-like cover that I can use if I’m certain I’d have no need of the keyboard. I use the iPP in landscape orientation 99.99% of the time so the Folio style cover plus MKB would make the perfect combo for me. If the SKF had illuminated keys I could see making it my only device since I don’t use the trackpad that often and could do without it, but having both with the MKB makes it my primary choice.

coolajami

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
I tried both, I really prefer the SKF over the MK, you can carry it around more easily and feels more sturdy to me. I would really love it if it was also backlight or even if just had a couple guide lights so you know where to rest your fingers. I don’t miss the trackpad, I prefer to save on the size and got an external mouse.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
I tried both, I really prefer the SKF over the MK, you can carry it around more easily and feels more sturdy to me. I would really love it if it was also backlight or even if just had a couple guide lights so you know where to rest your fingers. I don’t miss the trackpad, I prefer to save on the size and got an external mouse.
Before the MK was introduced there were rumors that Apple was making a Smart Keyboard Folio with glow-in-the-dark keycaps. Too bad this didn't come true, would have been an awesome product.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
The Magic definitely adds the weight. I attach the iPad only when I use the keyboard. Otherwise I use the iPad detached. At home without any case or folio. I have a skin and film screen protector on it for scratch protection. When I’m traveling, I have a cool zippered pouch where I can fit all the accessories in it.
Is that pouch something you can recommend?

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
I think it really depends on how you intend to use the keyboard. Is it going to stay on your desk most of the time, or maybe move around your house? Then the MK is great. But for me, I want the keyboard to serve as a case that comes with me when I go out and about. For that scenario then the SKF is the better choice. Mind you, I’m saying this as someone who prefers the 11” over the 12.9” because I value the portability. For me the MK adds the extra bulk of the hinge and weighs a lot. It defeats the purpose of going with the 11” in the first place in my eyes. But, someone who prefers the 12.9” might see things differently and make a different choice.

Reactions: LibbyLA

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
I have both the Smart Keyboard Folio as well as the MKB for my 12.9. If I take the iPP out of my house, to a coffee shop or traveling I put it in the SKF. For use at home when I’m on the couch in front of the tv I always use the MKB, trackpad plus the backlit keyboard are invaluable. Out at a coffee shop there is usually enough overhead lighting that the keys are illuminated well enough on the SKF. If I could only have one it would be the MKB. I have an inexpensive Smart Folio-like cover that I can use if I’m certain I’d have no need of the keyboard. I use the iPP in landscape orientation 99.99% of the time so the Folio style cover plus MKB would make the perfect combo for me. If the SKF had illuminated keys I could see making it my only device since I don’t use the trackpad that often and could do without it, but having both with the MKB makes it my primary choice.
I'm torn about selling my MKB, it's really pretty in white! So I put it back in the box and decided to try going SKF-only for a couple of weeks. Not missing it so far after 2 days, and I'm learning some really cool keyboard shortcuts!

As I said in another post, too bad the rumors of Apple making a SKF with glow-in-the-dark keep caps did not prove true.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Is that pouch something you can recommend?
This is the one I got. I get tons of compliments. They still have the solid color ones on Amazon (search tomtoc
34C094BB-387E-4531-904E-E8B49D41FE8F.jpeg
13 inch) with 5 star ratings. The 13 inch size fits my iPad Pro 11 inch with the iPad, magic keyboard and folio. In the zippered pocket I can add my earbuds pencil, charging cord, etc.

coolajami

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
Before the MK was introduced there were rumors that Apple was making a Smart Keyboard Folio with glow-in-the-dark keycaps. Too bad this didn't come true, would have been an awesome product.
I was thinking to stick glow in the dark stickers over the SKF for some added visibility but I’m not that brave to do such thing :(

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
This is the one I got. I get tons of compliments. They still have the solid color ones on Amazon (search tomtoc View attachment 1972179 13 inch) with 5 star ratings. The 13 inch size fits my iPad Pro 11 inch with the iPad, magic keyboard and folio. In the zippered pocket I can add my earbuds pencil, charging cord, etc.
Wow, that's really cool! Love the colors. Thanks for sharing.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2021
I was thinking about buying the MKB again, but I've never had a SKB before. I tried messing with it on display at Walmart and it seemed weird to me with the fabric keys and key travel, but it's cheaper than the MKB and I don't really need a trackpad. I find that I just prefer using the iPad as a touch device like it's intended to be in the first place. I don't know if I'll spring for the SKB, but it'd save me a lot of money if I did. The biggest drawback for me is the lack of backlit keys, but I could get over that. For the SKB, how are the angles they give you as far as watching content and the like? I'd like to keep the iPad Pro 12.9 in the SKB at all times, so I'd be watching a lot of shows and stuff... And I don't want bad angles that would cause me to keep getting back strain/neck strain.

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
I had the MGK and then a Logitech combo, both too heavy, sold one and returned the other, I prefer my 12.9” just with the apple folio.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
I was thinking about buying the MKB again, but I've never had a SKB before. I tried messing with it on display at Walmart and it seemed weird to me with the fabric keys and key travel, but it's cheaper than the MKB and I don't really need a trackpad. I find that I just prefer using the iPad as a touch device like it's intended to be in the first place. I don't know if I'll spring for the SKB, but it'd save me a lot of money if I did. The biggest drawback for me is the lack of backlit keys, but I could get over that. For the SKB, how are the angles they give you as far as watching content and the like? I'd like to keep the iPad Pro 12.9 in the SKB at all times, so I'd be watching a lot of shows and stuff... And I don't want bad angles that would cause me to keep getting back strain/neck strain.
I got my brand-new SKF on Ebay for only $100. At that price (half-off retail) it's really worth it. I feel none of the buyer's remorse I experienced after paying $350 for the MKB. https://ebay.to/3tZPUn0

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
Swapped back to the SKF after using the MK for a year. The aesthetics, keyboard, trackpad, and backlight were all top notch on the MK - but the glaring problem for me was having to be more careful with crumbs and liquids around the keyboard whenever it was being used.

When I previously used the SKF it would come with me everywhere, whether it was cooking in the kitchen, on a dirty table at Starbucks, or on a countertop. Since everything was sealed in, I didn’t mind if anything got on the keyboard as I could simply wipe it off - it was the ultimate portable keyboard in that regard. With the MK I’m subconsciously paranoid about taking it places as often due to concerns about durability and cleanliness when being used.

My iPad is a supplement to my iMac, the SKF allows it to become the ultimate portable tablet. If the iPad was my main computer, the MK would check all the boxes.
Had a similar experience. Plus, the MKB is so dang heavy! It became annoying to travel with MacBook weight but only get iPad productivity.

Returning to the SKF was a relief. So light! So thin! So water and dirt-proof! (I'm actually enjoying touching the screen again.) And if needed, the Logitech mini-mouse is a great small, light trackpad replacement. https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Mouse-Pocket-Portable-Laptops/dp/B0093H4XG8.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2021
I hope it doesn’t sell out before I can get the money together. There’s only 4 left. I’d like to try it.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
Update: After going a week without my MKB (stored in the closet) I began to miss the backlit keyboard at night in dark rooms. I pulled it back out and, whoa! — I remembered how nice it is to use. Yes, I was teaching myself keyboard shortcuts (and I can still use these on the MKB), but sometimes you just want to use a trackpad.

True, it’s still too heavy, so I mainly just use it around the house, and take the Smart Keyboard when I go to coffee shops. For extended out-of-town trips when I wan’t to have a “laptop”, its the MKB that’s in my bag.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
For the 11” I prefer the SKF because it still feels like a thin & light tablet+keyboard. Tried the MKB, but it makes the 11” feel very dense and heavy for it’s size. MKB is, IMO, better suited to the 12.9” which has a big enough screen to be used as a “laptop” of sorts, while the 11” is small enough that I don’t feel the need for a trackpad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.