Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
For the 11” I prefer the SKF because it still feels like a thin & light tablet+keyboard. Tried the MKB, but it makes the 11” feel very dense and heavy for it’s size. MKB is, IMO, better suited to the 12.9” which has a big enough screen to be used as a “laptop” of sorts, while the 11” is small enough that I don’t feel the need for a trackpad.
Thanks! Yesterday I finally got MKB. It become a dock station at my work desk, while for my daily I used simple folio magnetic ESR case. I am still familiarizing with MKB, also typing on it is a bit cramp for my hands. I do also like using iPad case-less on couch or bedroom.

Reactions: prospervic

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
With the new feature with my iMac being able to use the trackpad and mouse/keyboard on my iPad I have no need for a keyboard case.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Hi, anyone use 11” and have experience using SKF vs MK? Which one do you prefer?
I prefer the full keyboard and track pad experience with the MK. Is it heavier? Yes. But not heavy at all on a surface or my lap. And easy enough to pull off and remove to use the iPad free. I have a DBrand skin on the iPad for scratch protection.

Last edited:

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
I recently bought the SKF, having tested both at the Apple Store. For my usage, the SKF is the way to go. I’ve never used a keyboard with an iPad since I got the very first one, but I’ve seen how useful it actually can be.

I use my iPad as a media consumption device mainly, but also writes on forums like MR and started getting tired of the on screen keyboard. Finding the SKF perfectly ok, and I mainly use my iPad without any case - using the SKF when I need to type something, and as a general case for protection in my bag.

It’s a good product really, I only have one wish - backlit keys. I’m a touch typist, but writing at night in bed, it does help with some lighting. I have the brightness on my screen all the way down not to disturb my wife too, so I can’t see any of the keys.

If I used my iPad more as a laptop replacement, well then I’d take the MK and a 12,9 IPP instead of the 11 IPP I use now.

Reactions: MisterMillz

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
Update 2: 5 months later (if anyone still cares). I've developed a love/hate relationship with the Magic Keyboard Case and am again thinking of selling it. I'm noticing I make far more typing errors because my thumb keeps hitting the little trackpad -- not a problem on the Smart Keyboard - LOL!

I never take it out of the house and mainly just use it as a night-typing/docking/charging station (which is somewhat annoying because $350 is WAY too much money to spend on a keyboard dock!) I always carry the iPad in the lighter, slimmer Smart Keyboard when doing work around town.

As for extended trips - do I really want to be limited to a “laptop-ish" iPad, or should I just lug my MacBook Pro? I'm thinking the latter, in which case the iPad mini might make a useful companion. Hmmmm.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Hmm, in my case, in last few months, I end up using MK more than magnetic ESR folio case. I like its thick & solid protective (aluminum/metal?) cover so I can bring iPad more safely in backpack. Also the cover can also be used as stand for reading, watching movie, and easily take out when using in tablet mode. I like also it can be charged from left and right, depending the outlet. It can be charged also using car charger (it’s not possible for my MBA). I usually bring MK when out of town for couple of days. Only very few occasion I bring my MBA instead of iPad+MK.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
It really boils down to use case. I’ve been using my 16” M1 MacBook Pro far more for “computer“ tasks, and the IPP cannot, and really isn’t supposed to match this. I enjoy the iPad most as a tablet — the direct touch input and freedom for it to be anything you want — the magic of this, for me, is lost when restricting it to “laptop” mode. Yes, the MK does allow for easy removal, but I really like being able to just fold the case over the back so I don’t have to leave to behind. The Smart Keyboard provides this.

But hey, that’s why Apple makes different keyboards for different needs!

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
As for extended trips - do I really want to be limited to a “laptop-ish" iPad, or should I just lug my MacBook Pro? I'm thinking the latter, in which case the iPad mini might make a useful companion. Hmmmm.
I personally find it comical when people mention “lug” in reference to laptops.. as if it’s this huge desktop that’s difficult to carry around.

I chalk it up as “first world problems.” But I do understand your situation… it’s much better to have an iPad Mini in your scenario.

I like also it can be charged from left and right, depending the outlet. It can be charged also using car charger (it’s not possible for my MBA).
This is a good point. Sometimes I forget that I can charge my iPad through the MK.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
I personally find it comical when people mention “lug” in reference to laptops.. as if it’s this huge desktop that’s difficult to carry around.
The laptop itself isn’t that difficult to carry around (especially in a sleeve), it’s the added weight and bulk of the backpack and whatever additional items you have within it that feels burdensome after a few hours.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
The laptop itself isn’t that difficult to carry around (especially in a sleeve), it’s the added weight and bulk of the backpack and whatever additional items you have within it that feels burdensome after a few hours.
Wait a min, you carrying this backpack around daily for few hours (3 hours+)?

If that’s the case… yeah, I understand it could be burdensome. I carry iPad+MK+Apple Pencil, Galaxy Fold, battery pack, cables and a samsung t7 with my backpack. I used to carry my AirPods Max.. but I only take that if it’s going to be a long travel.

Last edited:

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
Wait a min, you carrying this backpack around daily for few hours (3 hours+)?

If that’s the case… yeah, I understand it could be burdensome. I carry iPad+MK+Apple Pencil, Galaxy Fold, battery pack, cables and a samsung t7 with my backpack. I used to carry my AirPods Max.. but I only take that if it’s going to be a long travel.
I live in New York City, which means my traveling is mostly via mass transit. And with standing on trains and buses, climbing up and down subway station staircases and walking to and from destinations, the weight begins to pile on. (Luckily, carrying my laptop is not an everyday thing.)

Contrast this with my brother who lives in North Carolina and basically drives everywhere, in his case device weight is not a factor.

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
I have a 3rd generation iPad Pro 11 inch with the magic keyboard and think it is totally awesome. So far it has stayed white since I have had it, and gets used every day for 5-6 hours, the backlit keys are awesome, and the trackpad keeps the fingers off the screen too.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I just picked up a Smart Keyboard Folio for a discount from bestbuy. I already have the MK. I think the MK will be my "around the house" keyboard left at my desk. The SKF will be the one I use to transport my iPad when mobile.

For me the SKF lets the iPad still be the iPad. I used it folded over a lot, the weight is a substantially lower when you are carrying an iPad and a laptop in your bag. And if I am using my iPad out, it is usually either by itself (Where I am using it as a tablet) or next to my Macbook Air - so I don't need a trackpad.

The MK is substantially better in so many ways - trackpad, super stable, same footprint, screen is elevated, better angles. But it fails in one regard - it is bulky, heavy and a pain to get your iPad out of if you just want to use it as a tablet.

So I think the formula is this - if you want a standalone iOS laptop - MK all the way. If you want primarily a tablet with the ability to type things - SKF.

Reactions: sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I just picked up a Smart Keyboard Folio for a discount from bestbuy. I already have the MK. I think the MK will be my "around the house" keyboard left at my desk. The SKF will be the one I use to transport my iPad when mobile.

For me the SKF lets the iPad still be the iPad. I used it folded over a lot, the weight is a substantially lower when you are carrying an iPad and a laptop in your bag. And if I am using my iPad out, it is usually either by itself (Where I am using it as a tablet) or next to my Macbook Air - so I don't need a trackpad.

The MK is substantially better in so many ways - trackpad, super stable, same footprint, screen is elevated, better angles. But it fails in one regard - it is bulky, heavy and a pain to get your iPad out of if you just want to use it as a tablet.

So I think the formula is this - if you want a standalone iOS laptop - MK all the way. If you want primarily a tablet with the ability to type things - SKF.
Excellent observations, IMO. 👍

The Smart Keyboard Folio (SKF) is the spiritual successor to the Smart Keyboard Cover (SKC). The SKC is my favorite for the reasons you gave as benefits of the SKF. Since the iPad 9th gen is the last iPad to support the SKC, I'm either going to have to get over my dislike of folio cases, or I don't know what. :confused:

You mention that you fold the SKF back on itself to use the iPad as a tablet, but please be aware that doing that can cause the SKF to prematurely fail. I've seen many keyboard covers/folios (iPads and other tablets) because the bending in both directions causes the internal signal wires to break.

Reactions: Student of Life

NARadyk

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2021
UK
Found this thread after recently purchasing the SKF when I already own the MK. I felt a bit wasteful with my money at the thought of even owning both but I have realised they both work well for different circumstances. It‘s also probably an unpopular opinion that I prefer the typing experience on the SKF over the MK. I would possibly even consider selling my MK if I didn't own the white one and it hadn’t of become discoloured over the past couple of years of use. I doubt I would get much for it now.

• Love
Reactions: papbot

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I felt a bit wasteful with my money at the thought of even owning both but I have realised they both work well for different circumstances
I went through the same angst, although I had gotten them at different times. I do tend to use the Smart Keyboard Folio most often. Primarily for the lighter, slimmer form. One particular reason I do is that normally I have it sitting on my lap propped up on a thick lap desk pillow; I find that not having a trackpad, which I seldom use anyway, keeps the ipad at a closer distance making the screen somewhat easier to see as well as reach when needed.

I have to say though that the ability to tilt the screen on the Magic Keyboard is very useful and allows it to be elevated higher than the SKF. It’s also extremely nice looking, and the back lit keys are a big advantage. I’ve pretty much decided that if I primarily used my iPP at a desk I would use the MKB but on my lap and if I were taking the iPP out, such as to a coffee shop, I would use the SKF. So I’m fairly certain that if I had to replace them I would just get the SKF. But that MKB is fun to use with such a good look, if I had the money…I don’t know. I might splurge again🤷‍♂️

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
I’ve gone down the rabbit hole and convinced myself I need a SKF. The main deciding factor for me is the ability to flip the keyboard back to use the iPad as a tablet, as I do with my current case all the time . I have no need to use my iPad with a keyboard when I’m at my desk, but I’ve noticed that when I’m out and about I still do all my typing on my iPhone because it’s easier for me than typing on an iPad; I can doomscroll just fine on it, like I do, but when I’m using the iPad I don’t interact/comment much because I don’t like typing on it. It’s a media streaming device for me mostly.

I have a 2 hour medical appointment every other week and I doomscroll on my iPad while sitting there and it would be great to have a keyboard so I can engage more easily on facebbok/Reddit/this forum.

Is apple care available for the skf? Is it tied to the iPad’s apple care? I bought my Air 5 back in March with AC+ and a pencil, I’ve been under the impression that my pencil is covered since I bought it with a covered iPad. Did I lose out on having a skf covered by apple care because I didn’t purchase it with the iPad?

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I’ve been under the impression that my pencil is covered since I bought it with a covered iPad. Did I lose out on having a skf covered by apple care because I didn’t purchase it with the iPad?
This may vary according to other posts I’ve seen but I had a router, Time Capsule, replaced in the past when it failed. AppleCare on it had expired but I had AppleCare in effect on my laptop. I was told that as long as AppleCare is in effect on an associated device the item, Pencil, SKF, etc. will be covered.

Our experience and habit is completely different in that when needing to type anything we do it on our iPads if they’re with us. Typing on a phone even on my pro max is tedious. Also my wife is using the original SKF while I’m using a later version. There have been no durability issues or functional ones. I would not even consider a 3rd party version since these are perfect for our iPads. I highly recommend it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.