Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

contacos

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I technically have AppleCare+ on my iPhone 12 Pro Max. I am aware that Apple does not replace it for free unless it drops below 80 % health. However, it is currently at 86 % and the battery is pure crap. I woke up at 7 am this morning with 94 % battery life and now it is at 62%! by 8:50 am. I honestly don't care if I have to pay for it. I just want to get it replaced. Especially since I am going on a trip soon.

GrandeLatte

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2016
I just realized my 12 ProMax battery health isn't all that great either. I'm waiting for the 14 to come out and see if I want to change the battery or upgrade my phone.

contacos

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 11, 2020
I just chatted with support and they blame the Photo App. CBF I'll just get it replaced even though I hate having to give them more money for it lol they used to be more generous. The guy literally just closed the chat and did not even wait for me to be able to respond!

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
The easiest solution is to get the rear system changed under AC+ to get a new battery, frame, speakers, etc etc.
No headache at all.
Trying to get only battery service on anything that isn’t an iPhone or Mac when it doesnt fail diagnostics is unnecessary hassle WHEN you have AC+.
And for the iphone, thanks to their non repairable design, I pay the same Or lesser cost than a battery change for a rear system change which included the battery among so many other parts.

GrandeLatte

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2016
I just chatted with support and they blame the Photo App. CBF I'll just get it replaced even though I hate having to give them more money for it lol they used to be more generous. The guy literally just closed the chat and did not even wait for me to be able to respond!
How much is the replacement battery they quoted you? I'm curious because I might need it later down the road. Thanks in advance!

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

contacos

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 11, 2020
How much is the replacement battery they quoted you? I'm curious because I might need it later down the road. Thanks in advance!

It was 75 Euro. I have to say Apple used to be a lot more generous in the past. Especially if you had AppleCare+ anyway but they are very picky with battery replacements for some reason.

Back in the day they repaired my MBP 2 years out of warranty. My invoice was dropped from 700€ to 0€

• Love
Reactions: GrandeLatte

contacos

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 11, 2020
The easiest solution is to get the rear system changed under AC+ to get a new battery, frame, speakers, etc etc.
No headache at all.
Trying to get only battery service on anything that isn’t an iPhone or Mac when it doesnt fail diagnostics is unnecessary hassle WHEN you have AC+.
And for the iphone, thanks to their non repairable design, I pay the same Or lesser cost than a battery change for a rear system change which included the battery among so many other parts.

No chance. They ran like all diagnostics possible and even checked every possible corner or hole with a microscope, literally

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
I wanted to pay to replace the 85% health battery in my old phone before giving it to my daughter. I explained this to Apple and sent it in, but it was returned NFF.
I phoned again and a different person suggested I try going to a local Apple reseller. I booked it in for a while-u-wait replacement, but the reseller still wasn't sure they would be allowed by Apple to do it, but they were, and all is well. Cost £69.

Reactions: GrandeLatte

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I technically have AppleCare+ on my iPhone 12 Pro Max. I am aware that Apple does not replace it for free unless it drops below 80 % health. However, it is currently at 86 % and the battery is pure crap. I woke up at 7 am this morning with 94 % battery life and now it is at 62%! by 8:50 am. I honestly don't care if I have to pay for it. I just want to get it replaced. Especially since I am going on a trip soon.
If you pay for it. Unless the phone is new and has degraded with almost no cycles. Otherwise, prepare that wallet.

Reactions: Jackbequickly

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
Why did Apple refuse to replace your battery?
Because they said it passed diagnostics and was still 80% and above. I would have happily paid for a new battery. I wanted to replace it so I could give it to my daughter, so now I have been leaving it playing Netflix on full brightness until it dies and then recharging it trying to trash the battery some more so I can get it below 80% so they will replace it.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Because they said it passed diagnostics and was still 80% and above. I would have happily paid for a new battery. I wanted to replace it so I could give it to my daughter, so now I have been leaving it playing Netflix on full brightness until it dies and then recharging it trying to trash the battery some more so I can get it below 80% so they will replace it.
Apple will replace it if you pay for it.

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
I had my iPhone X battery replaced at around 85% at the Apple Store. Of course I had to pay for it, but they performed the replacement with no issues.

asus389

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2019
USA
I just paid the apple store to replace the battery in my phone at 86%. The phone only lasted 2 hours on a charge. It was well worth the out of pocket for me. The 80% is just for in warranty replacement.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
They will replace it, and it won’t help. If your battery is at 86% health, your issue is software - not hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.