Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
Apologies for bogarting this thread, and it’s probably a stupid question, but: Should I wipe my phone clean (software-wise) before handing it in for a replacement battery?

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Apologies for bogarting this thread, and it’s probably a stupid question, but: Should I wipe my phone clean (software-wise) before handing it in for a replacement battery?

I certainly would, just make sure to fully back up it before you do.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Because they said it passed diagnostics and was still 80% and above. I would have happily paid for a new battery. I wanted to replace it so I could give it to my daughter, so now I have been leaving it playing Netflix on full brightness until it dies and then recharging it trying to trash the battery some more so I can get it below 80% so they will replace it.
I think depends who you get at Apple on the day....see my experience above. May have better luck at an authorised reseller as I did.

I think what you are doing could take a very long time to wear out the battery, and might even improve it for a while. I have seen batteries report higher health numbers after exercise.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
A battery at 86% health is pretty badly degraded and you will almost certainly benefit from a replacement battery at that point.
Will you see a difference? Sure - if the battery would last say 16 hours on a charge, then the new one would last maybe 18 hours.

But if the battery is dropping more than 30% in 2 hours… that’s a software issue. The fact that the old battery is at 86% is NOT the primary problem.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Will you see a difference? Sure - if the battery would last say 16 hours on a charge, then the new one would last maybe 18 hours.

But if the battery is dropping more than 30% in 2 hours… that’s a software issue. The fact that the old battery is at 86% is NOT the primary problem.
Not necessarily. Sometimes degraded batteries don't hold onto charge that well.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
I just chatted with support and they blame the Photo App. CBF I'll just get it replaced even though I hate having to give them more money for it lol they used to be more generous. The guy literally just closed the chat and did not even wait for me to be able to respond!
That's how many of their people are now. I raised this issue several times, about how their knowledge, competence, and courtesy have been in decline for some years now, but people on here keep praising them and insisting people like these deserve better treatment and higher pay.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009

A battery dropping 30% in 2 hours is almost certainly an issue with a degraded battery! That's classic degraded battery behaviour.

RDU100

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2023
I tried to replace a battery a few years ago and pay for it and they wouldn't do it.

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
This thread is a year old…but I just had a battery replacement this month. They ran a diagnostic on the phone, and then they replaced the battery. I paid for it, as I just bought this used phone.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I had a battery which was still at 91% replaced by Apple earlier this year. As long as I paid for it, they couldn’t care what battery health my phone had.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
Because they said it passed diagnostics and was still 80% and above. I would have happily paid for a new battery. I wanted to replace it so I could give it to my daughter, so now I have been leaving it playing Netflix on full brightness until it dies and then recharging it trying to trash the battery some more so I can get it below 80% so they will replace it.
If you really want to trash the battery, run benchmarks nonstop while plugged in, at full brightness.

Just be sure to keep it on a hard surface. I am not kidding when I'm saying that thing could spark a house fire on a rug.

• Love
Reactions: Jack Neill
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.