Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Hi Guys,

I wanted to ask the community here. Does it make sense now to buy the Bigger Homepod after Apple has announced the Homepod Mini. I personally prefer bigger sound and always get amazed by the BASS the Bigger Homepod gives. For its size I think the BASS is just fantastic. Will the Homepod Mini have the same BASS ? and will it sound equally Good ?

I am ready to compromise a little bit on Sound if the new Homepod Mini has the latest Chip which is the S5 ? So is the S5 Chip Coming in the Homepod Mini the best ? or the HomePod’s A8 chip ? If with the latest Chip and the Software if the Homepod Mini’s is gonna be more future proof and is more feature packed, I think one can let go a little bit on sound and try and get used to a more inferior sounding yet feature Packed Homepod Mini !!

The Homepod Mini will not sound as loud and good as the Bigger Homepod right ? Nor the Mini will have the same BASS as the Bigger Homepod right guys ?

What do you guys think about this dilemma that I have ?

Five_Oh

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2017
Flyover Country, USA
A8 chip is better. S5 is the processor used in series 5 watch. I doubt the bass will be as good in the mini as the OG, but how much inferior remains to be seen. I think if your primary use case is for (loud) music, the original may be best. The mini might be better suited for satellite units, or a cheap hub for Homekit stuff.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
A8 chip is better. S5 is the processor used in series 5 watch. I doubt the bass will be as good in the mini as the OG, but how much inferior remains to be seen. I think if your primary use case is for (loud) music, the original may be best. The mini might be better suited for satellite units, or a cheap hub for Homekit stuff.

But the Mini has so many good things to offer ! Computational Audio, Intercom, Handover etc...etc...So if someone gets more feature rich technology in Mini what is the Point in going for the Bigger one ? Just for the Sound ? These days it is no longer sound as it used to be in Old Gramophone days ! It is Software and Hardware that drives the sound more then the only the Hardware.

Five_Oh

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2017
Flyover Country, USA
I think all the software stuff you mentioned will also be added to the original. So, you will be paying $200 for the hardware (bigger woofer, more tweeters). Whether that is worth it is up to each individual use case.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
I can’t imagine the Mini sounding better than the OG HomePod. If you want bass you’ll definitely like the OG HomePod. It sounds amazing.

But the Mini is making its Entry Like a Dark Horse it is coming with so many good things in its Goody Bag ! It will shame the Bigger Homepod Bog Time lol !!

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
But the Mini is making its Entry Like a Dark Horse it is coming with so many good things in its Goody Bag ! It will shame the Bigger Homepod Bog Time lol !!
What are the so many goodies you speak of, other than the U1 chip, will be exclusive to the mini?

Computational audio is a compensation for the lack of superior audio hardware found in the full size HomePod. Speculating here but I can’t see the audio quality coming remotely close to what the full size HomePod offers.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
What are the so many goodies you speak of, other than the U1 chip, will be exclusive to the mini?

Computational audio is a compensation for the lack of superior audio hardware found in the full size HomePod. Speculating here but I can’t see the audio quality coming remotely close to what the full size HomePod offers.

Yes but computational audio is also a smart software to analyze how should your Music sound the best ? Sounds like a Nifty Feature to have.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
So if someone gets more feature rich technology in Mini what is the Point in going for the Bigger one ?

Intercom and Handoff will both be available in the HomePod Pro via an iOS update.

HomePod Pro will always sound significantly better. Is just physics.

Buy the Mini if you want a weak personal assistant. Buy the Pro if you want the best sounding streaming bookshelf speaker system in the industry.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Intercom and Handoff will both be available in the HomePod Pro via an iOS update.

HomePod Pro will always sound significantly better. Is just physics.

Buy the Mini if you want a weak personal assistant. Buy the Pro if you want the best sounding streaming bookshelf speaker system in the industry.

But there is not gonna be any computational Audio coming to the Bigger Homepod right ?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
But there is not gonna be any computational Audio coming to the Bigger Homepod right ?
Jeez lol. The reason the regular HomePod doesn’t have this software enhancement is because it doesn’t need it. It has its own software enhancements tailored to its hardware. It seems that you’re looking for someone to tell you that the Mini is gonna sound as good if not better than the full size HomePod. I can very safely assume that with the $200 delta in price and the sheer difference in hardware, it won’t be close.

Put the marketing mumbo jumbo aside for a minute and take a look at the two. Internals, specs, etc... what do you see?

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Jeez lol. The reason the regular HomePod doesn’t have this software enhancement is because it doesn’t need it. It has its own software enhancements tailored to its hardware. It seems that you’re looking for someone to tell you that the Mini is gonna sound as good if not better than the full size HomePod. I can very safely assume that with the $200 delta in price and the sheer difference in hardware, it won’t be close.

Put the marketing mumbo jumbo aside for a minute and take a look at the two. Internals, specs, etc... what do you see?

Bigger does not mean that it does not need any Software enhancement. I have a JBL Airplay enabled Soundbar (The Kinds you pair it with a TV) which is a 2014 released Product and it uses some Software Tricks to filter sound in a format like say MP3 !

So bigger does not mean it is devoid of any software improvement need !

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Bigger does not mean that it does not need any Software enhancement. I have a JBL Airplay enabled Soundbar (The Kinds you pair it with a TV) which is a 2014 released Product and it uses some Software Tricks to filter sound in a format like say MP3 !

So bigger does not mean it is devoid of any software improvement need !
Never did I say the HomePod will be better than the Mini because it’s bigger. I never even said the word “bigger.” Do what you want. If you’re looking for affirmation that the Mini will be a better device, you likely won’t get that answer. If you want someone to tell you that it will probably be a great device for its intended purpose and at a very reasonable price, sure you can have that from me. I plan on picking up a few of them and I already have seven HomePods.

If you honestly think the Mini is going to sound better, then I don’t know what to tell you. Seems you’ve already made your choice and this thread is moot

Last edited:

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Never did I say the HomePod will be better than the Mini because it’s bigger. I never even said the word “bigger.” Do what you want. If you’re looking for affirmation that the Mini will be a better device, you likely won’t get that answer. If you want someone to tell you that it will probably be a great device for its intended purpose and at a very reasonable price, sure you can have that from me. I plan on picking up a few of them and I already have seven HomePods.

If you honestly think the Mini is going to sound better, then I don’t know what to tell you. Seems you’ve already made your choice and this thread is moot

Hold On ! Hold On ! Hold On to your Horses !! If this Thread is Moot or not you do not need to judge that, You can keep it to yourself. That I will decide if it is Moot or not. As far as Already Making up my mind is concerned, If you have that 6th Sense of reading someone's mind good luck with that profession. I did not say that, I am just exploring the Possibility of how the Homepod Mini will fair up against the Bigger one.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Hold On ! Hold On ! Hold On to your Horses !! If this Thread is Moot or not you do not need to judge that, You can keep it to yourself. That I will decide if it is Moot or not. As far as Already Making up my mind is concerned, If you have that 6th Sense of reading someone's mind good luck with that profession. I did not say that, I am just exploring the Possibility of how the Homepod Mini will fair up against the Bigger one.
Lol ok pal.
You’re shunning everything everyone has to say and according to what you said, yes you’ve already made up your mind. This thread is moot.

B8961339-8F27-4EA0-AED1-B4B8577A0B4A.jpeg

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010

24613-32443-Apple-HomePod-Exploded-l.jpg

Itinj24 answered this, HomePod Pro doesn't need computational audio because it's already loaded with tech. And it has a version of this which has an array of 6 microphones that 'hear' the room conditions (walls, carpet, curtains, furniture) and adjust the output of the 8 multi-directional speakers to compensate. It's amazing. I take mine in various rooms and outdoors, it sounds incredible. My kitchen with hardwood floors and bouncy cabinets sounds just as rich and deep as my living room with carpets and window coverings.

If Apple Music is paramount, you want the Pro. If Siri and home automation is paramount, you can save money with the Mini. Simple as that.

Reactions: Itinj24

b52hbuff

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2008
I can’t see how anyone can try to argue that the Mini will be a better device lol.

I wouldn't argue better, I would argue different. Without a doubt, audio hardware in original HomePod will produce better audio, and the A8 CPU has more horsepower than the S5.

But the HomePod/Mini do things other than play music. So my question is there anything in the HomePod mini's hardware that gives it any feature advantage over the original HomePod?

And so far, this thread seems to confirm my understanding. Its only benefit seems to be the U1 chip for proximity detection for handoff. Makes me wonder if the U1 could be utilized to implement any other features?

I am also curious to know if the original HomePod may be updated to include the U1?

Because after seeing the mini demo, I am pretty excited about the Siri updates (intercom, individual profiles) that make the smart speaker part of this even smarter. I could run out and get the HomePod today, but I'd be a bit frustrated if an update (original) HomePod with U1 and other features was just around the corner.

Edit...

After my initial post, I did a little research on the U1 chip. From the article below, it seem like the U1 could be used for a bunch of interesting things related to locating other U1 chips in close proximity.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I wouldn't argue better, I would argue different. Without a doubt, audio hardware in original HomePod will produce better audio, and the A8 CPU has more horsepower than the S5.

But the HomePod/Mini do things other than play music. So my question is there anything in the HomePod mini's hardware that gives it any feature advantage over the original HomePod?

And so far, this thread seems to confirm my understanding. Its only benefit seems to be the U1 chip for proximity detection for handoff. Makes me wonder if the U1 could be utilized to implement any other features?

I am also curious to know if the original HomePod may be updated to include the U1?

Because after seeing the mini demo, I am pretty excited about the Siri updates (intercom, individual profiles) that make the smart speaker part of this even smarter. I could run out and get the HomePod today, but I'd be a bit frustrated if an update (original) HomePod with U1 and other features was just around the corner.

Edit...

After my initial post, I did a little research on the U1 chip. From the article below, it seem like the U1 could be used for a bunch of interesting things related to locating other U1 chips in close proximity.

I agree with you ? on everything. The context of this thread was mainly about the audio aspect though, which is why I used the term better. I did say that it will be a great product for its intended purpose. It seems every new Apple device is getting this U1 chip but there hasn’t been any compelling feature (yet) that utilizes it. Apple had a very small share in the smart speaker market. The HomePod mini should pick it up for them some, but unless they can produce features for the U1 that will really “wow” the end user, then I can’t see the HomePod getting updated with it any time soon. The HomePod Mini could very well be a “test” product for them to see if people will take the bait and then want to upgrade to the regular HomePod which is when they can make the decision to update it. Personally, I think the Mini will sell very well. I plan on getting a few myself and I’m nervous it will sell out fast with short supply like the original AirPods did.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I wouldn't buy the big HomePod till it gets a U1 chip.

Why? U1 chip really means nothing right now. Yeah it has some good possibilities but nothing I can think of that would stop anyone from buying the HomePod. I have 3 of them and was on board with the Mini's but after reviewing, I might just get another 2 HomePods instead. I love the sound honestly. I just can't imagine the Mini getting even close.

Reactions: Jayderek
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.