Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
I've tried unsuccessfully to keep only 9 HomeKit-compatible iHome ISP6X smart plugs connected. They work well with their iHome app, but only 5 of them now work in Home, the other 4 work temporarily then show "No Response." Resetting and reconnecting the devices will reenable them in iHome's app and Home, but after a few minutes, hours, days, back to "No Response."

I've not been able to connect my HomeKit-compatible eero network, my HomeKit-compatible MyQ garage door controller, HomeKit-compatible cameras, etc., etc. to Home at all. Again, all of these work well in their own apps but I can't port to Home.

Apple support is cumbersome, lengthy, and not helpful in problem resolution. Their suggestions are the obvious: reboot everything, reset everything, reinstall everything, and it should work. Swell, but it doesn't. Well then we don't know and you need to deal with the manufacturer of the devices. But they're all HomeKit compatible! I know, just contact the manufacturer.

So same conversation with each manufacturer as in above paragraph, just exchange the words "Apple" and "manufacturer." I'm old enough to remember when Apple's mantra was "it just works." Today, that's "it just works sometimes." No bitterness at all.

Reactions: mazz0

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Assuming this is happening when you're home, my first thought is to check your router config. Many IOT devices use only 2.4GHz WiFi. Your iPhone will prefer, if available, 5GHz WiFi. Your router needs to, essentially, treat both as one network. If it's doing any filtering or blocking of traffic between the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, there will be communication issues (including "No Response"). I'd start there.

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
Along those lines, make sure that all your devices are getting their IP addresses from the same source; i.e., either the Eero network or your cable modem (or whatever you're using for Internet access). HomeKit and airplay won't work well if some devices are getting addresses from one network and some from the other.

It also depends if the devices are wifi or bluetooth. I only have one bluetooth device, but its HomeKit connection is really spotty.

Last edited:

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2019
@dotme, @pup, thanks for the thinking on this. The smart plugs require 2.4GHz but other IoT devices can take either or even prefer the 5GHz. My eeroPro network does not show (or I haven't found) any filtering/blocking of traffic between bands. All my IoT devices are WiFi, not BT to my knowledge.

What's really amazing to me is that of my 3 AppleTV's, only one is recognized at all. As long as HomeKit has been out and products available that are supposedly compatible, this is a nightmare.

sundialsoft

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2010
Scotland
The iOS app works pretty flawlessly for me. My setup is Apple TV 4k, iPhone / iPad Watch and the Ikea hub and numerous Ikea bulbs, smart sockets and a light panel. My Apple TV 4k is hard wired to the router so I can control when out of the home.
I do find that the watch app sometimes doesn't immediately work but it catches up and shows correct status after a few seconds.

BF1M

Suspended
Nov 17, 2018
HomeKit has never really worked 100% since it’s inception. If you are going to use it, you have to be prepared for it to have senior moments every so often. Currently none of my HSV cams are recording even though they say they are. Coupled with current Siri issues, like not being able to read my contacts, it’s just another day in Apple land. It just works has become it works when it wants to.

Take my advice, obsessively trying “fix” after “fix“ is a waste of time. Just have to ride it out.

Reactions: SalisburySam

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
I'm not familiar with Eero unfortunately. But maybe this link is helpful?

"eero will firewall each of your supported HomeKit-enabled accessories, preventing them from communicating with other WiFi devices connected to your home network, and from unauthorized services on the internet"

Sounds great in theory. Not sure if it's all that terrific in practice though. Would it be possible to temporarily turn this off, just to see if (after a restart) the issues are resolved? If so, at least you've found the problem and can then start tightening things back up slowly until the security is where it should be.

Also... if all accessories respond when you're out-of-home, but not when you're on WiFi, that further lends itself to the theory that the eero may be doing some inter-band filtering.

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Do you use separate ssid for 2.4 and 5 networks?

What Apple TV’s are you using and how is all this stuff connected especially the appletv. Are they hardwired or is everything wireless?

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
First, if you have an Eero, Velop, or really any wifi network in addition to your main internet router, set it to bridge mode so that the internet router handles everything. This is the path to HomeKit and airplay bliss. Bonjour just doesn’t work well otherwise, and thus you’ll always be frustrated with lost devices.

Second, hardwire as much as humanly possible.

Third, avoid Bluetooth HomeKit devices if possible.

macdragonfl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale,Fl
I had similar issues until I split the networks 2.4, 5 ghz. No issues whatsoever after, I also use the same smart plugs as you do. I'm using 3 velop triband nodes.

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
I've got the Velop too, and it's been flawless since I set it up like above. You lose a good bit of functionality when it's in bridge mode, but worth it imo for the reliability.

Reactions: Itinj24

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
No, I haven't had any problem with combined 2.4/5

I doubt if the updated HomeKit would break with bridge mode - my guess would be that just the added security features and HomeKit control won't work, which would be expected since the Velop is just passing everything on to your internet router.

Last edited:

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
No, I haven't had any problem with combined 2.4/5

I doubt if the updated HomeKit would break with bridge mode - my guess would be that just the added security features and HomeKit control won't work, which would be expected since the Velop is just passing everything on to your internet router.
Correct. Bridge mode will not work with “HomeKit Routers” since the (eero or Velop) will not be working as the router. Same for the eero. It says not use in bridge mode if you want to enable “HomeKit Routers.”

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2019
Wow! Thank you all for the tips, techniques, and helpful hints. I've tried, I think, everything suggested in some fashion, sadly without much improvement. So here's a little more info.

Connects to HomeKit and runs well through iOS Home app:
  • iHome ISP6X (now 8 working consistently)
  • AppleTV
NOT connecting nor running through iOS Home app:

1. iHome ISP6X (2 not working)
  2. AppleTV (1 working as above, 2 more not discovered, no presence in Home app)
  3. iHome ISP100 (3 not working)
  4. eero Pro (8 devices, all with HomeKit enabled, no appearance in Home app)
  5. Rachio3 irrigation controller (works with own app, no presence in Home app)
  6. Trane Communicating Thermostats (work with Nexia app, no presence on Home app. To be fair, I've not seen anything saying these are HomeKit-compatible, and likely are not).
  7. MyQ Garage Door Hub (works well in MyQ app, can't set it up in Home app)
For these 3rd-party devices, I gone through the manufacturers' support websites to enable them in Home but nothing is discovered.

Some things I've tried that had no positive results:

1. Reboot/reset/restarted/refreshed everything: routers, iPhones, and connected devices. Verified current software versions.
  2. Set up the eero network in bridge mode, leaving the Linksys EA9500 as main router.
  3. Set up the Linksys in bridge mode, leaving the eeros as main router.
  4. Disabled/disconnected the eero network.
  5. Eliminated first 1, then 2, then 3, then 4, then 5 of my 8 eero Pros from the mesh.
While protocols like HomeKit tout the ability to integrate the functionality of compatible devices regardless of manufacturer, the reality of it for me has been, no, not really. And contacting tech support at Apple, Amazon, iHome, Rachio, MyQ, and Trane is a test of patience. Each says things like: "Oh, I've never heard of that being a problem before...let's start by rebooting your entire house." And not one of them takes any ownership over the lack of compatibility nor the complete interoperability debacle.

So my takeaway from all this: skip the HomeKit. The features just aren't worth the debugging hours and the headaches.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
That’s insanity. I get hiccups in the Home app from time to time that are nothing more than a nuisance but I’ve never had such issues getting the devices into Home app. The ATV is the most shocking.

Out of curiosity, what device are you using to set up and what iOS version?

I’ve had crazy issues in the past with HomeKit devices when an iPhone 4S (iOS 9.x.x) and an old iPad Air 2 (iPadOS 13.4.1) were signed in with my iCloud and thusly, into the same Home.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
What you’re describing is really interesting stuff. Hard to diagnose this over an internet forum.

Just a few things...

Not sure if you’re aware but Eeros will not show up in the Home app as traditional devices do. Clicking the house icon in the top left and then scrolling down to “WiFi Network & Routers” will reveal them.

Haven’t heard of that Trane thermostat compatible with HomeKit. I know you mentioned that but no need to add to the headache by trying. Good looking thermostat though. Hopefully they add it soon.

What happens when you add or scan the HomeKit code for something like the Rachio3? Does it keep saying unable to add device? Does it add and then not show up?

For the MyQ, you do have the HomeKit compatible bridge that goes into the router, right? https://gatehousesupplies.com/liftmaster-819lmb-myq-home-bridge/

I’m not familiar with the iHome plugs but I do know the original version of the Wemo Mini shipped without a HomeKit code and they required a firmware update for HomeKit compatibility. Was a pain to add these into HomeKit this way. Newer versions shipped with a HomeKit code. Wonder if those two iHomes are doing the something similar.

Just throwing some things out there for process of elimination purposes.

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
After more thought I’d look at that firewall stuff inside the mesh system. That may be the big problem.

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Oh and the rachio is it’s own issue. They are working on a fix. If you look on their community forum you will find the head people at rachio are updating the status of the issue and working to fix it. Updates every Friday right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.