Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zerocharlie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2022
I’m a 14 PM user. I upgraded from the 13 mini (favorite iPhone ever) because I needed the better battery life and large screen for working on my phone while away from the office.

I’m now in the office more than ever and the size of the PM is just too much. I want to go back to a small phone.

Does anyone have any experience with going down to a 6.1” from a PM/Plus? Did it feel like a small phone? Was the size and weight that noticeable?

kerwinox_

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2024
Cracow/Poland
Hi, im the user of 14P and before that, have 13PM and I always have problem with big iPhones so for me 6.1 is the best size of the iPhone and don't have any problems after 6.7 so I think you can easily make change.

Reactions: zerocharlie

zerocharlie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2022
Hi, im the user of 14P and before that, have 13PM and I always have problem with big iPhones so for me 6.1 is the best size of the iPhone and don't have any problems after 6.7 so I think you can easily make change.
Thanks. I think this might be my only chance at a smaller phone if rumors of the iPhone 16 getting larger are true. The rumored 6.4” isn’t that large, and the battery may be improved as well, but I’m looking for compact.

Reactions: snipr125

kerwinox_

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2024
Cracow/Poland
I hope the rumors about larger display are not true, but if they comes true I will replace my 14P to 16P still. I think the battery can improve and this is nice because sometimes I need a few more % in a day.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Thanks. I think this might be my only chance at a smaller phone if rumors of the iPhone 16 getting larger are true. The rumored 6.4” isn’t that large, and the battery may be improved as well, but I’m looking for compact.
You will still have the option of the regular iPhone 16, which will apparently have exactly the same chassis and 6.1” screen size as the iphone 15.

JayDomK

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2024
You will still have the option of the regular iPhone 16, which will apparently have exactly the same chassis and 6.1” screen size as the iphone 15.
Most likely the 16 will be a little bigger than the 15, but that's just a rumor.

JayDomK

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2024
I’m a 14 PM user. I upgraded from the 13 mini (favorite iPhone ever) because I needed the better battery life and large screen for working on my phone while away from the office.

I’m now in the office more than ever and the size of the PM is just too much. I want to go back to a small phone.

Does anyone have any experience with going down to a 6.1” from a PM/Plus? Did it feel like a small phone? Was the size and weight that noticeable?
Just change your phone. You'll get used to it. It will be awkward at first, but you'll get used to it.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Most likely the 16 will be a little bigger than the 15, but that's just a rumor.
From the rumours ive seen the regular iphones will stay exactly the same in size (NOT get the smaller 15 Pro chassis with slimmer bezels) but get the regular A18 and 8GB RAM. The regular iphones will then get the size increase with the 17 series.

JayDomK

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2024
From the rumours ive seen the regular iphones will stay exactly the same in size (NOT get the smaller 15 Pro chassis with slimmer bezels) but get the regular A18 and 8GB RAM. The regular iphones will then get the size increase with the 17 series.
I don't know whether to be happy about it or not. Sometimes I feel like the phone doesn't need to be any bigger than it can fit in my pocket.

Reactions: snipr125

zerocharlie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2022
I don't know whether to be happy about it or not. Sometimes I feel like the phone doesn't need to be any bigger than it can fit in my pocket.
I don’t know how to feel about it either. It’s only .2” in the regular sized phone (if rumors are true), but I hope that size increase yields battery improvements and not just room for a periscope lens or even larger camera bump.

zerocharlie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2022
Did the same as you, went from 13 mini to 14 PM. The device was unwieldy, 15 Pro is the sweetspot for me.
I may follow your lead. I’ve been half tempted to purchase a refurb 13 mini and use that for a year or two while it’s still supported just to enjoy what might be the last small phone. But the battery life will be a massive adjustment from the 14PM. I’m around a charger more frequently now, but that just means I likely won’t get into a situation where my phone is dead. It’s still a bit annoying to have to charge your phone to make it through a full day.

JayDomK

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2024
I don’t know how to feel about it either. It’s only .2” in the regular sized phone (if rumors are true), but I hope that size increase yields battery improvements and not just room for a periscope lens or even larger camera bump.
Increased battery capacity is what many users are expecting.

AlanMarron

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2023
I may follow your lead. I’ve been half tempted to purchase a refurb 13 mini and use that for a year or two while it’s still supported just to enjoy what might be the last small phone. But the battery life will be a massive adjustment from the 14PM. I’m around a charger more frequently now, but that just means I likely won’t get into a situation where my phone is dead. It’s still a bit annoying to have to charge your phone to make it through a full day.
I have a 13-mini and another unboxed. My wife uses a 12. Her battery life is dramatically better than mine, however, as a retiree, I'm usually at home or in my car with my mini plugged into CarPlay, so it makes little difference.

While conceptually it may bug you that you have charge an iPhone during the day, if it makes no difference in practice, I wouldn't sweat it.

If I know I'm going to be away from a plug for endless hours, I put an iPhone-sized battery in my backpack along with a cord, and I'm good.

I was recently and unexpectedly thrust into a hospital bed for several days and nights and my mini performed as required.

I have gotten past buying things for my Walter Mitty fantasies. I buy for the now based on experience.

YMMV

zerocharlie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2022
I have a 13-mini and another unboxed. My wife uses a 12. Her battery life is dramatically better than mine, however, as a retiree, I'm usually at home or in my car with my mini plugged into CarPlay, so it makes little difference.

While conceptually it may bug you that you have charge an iPhone during the day, if it makes no difference in practice, I wouldn't sweat it.

If I know I'm going to be away from a plug for endless hours, I put an iPhone-sized battery in my backpack along with a cord, and I'm good.

I was recently and unexpectedly thrust into a hospital bed for several days and nights and my mini performed as required.

I have gotten past buying things for my Walter Mitty fantasies. I buy for the now based on experience.

YMMV
You make a great point based on experience. I am considering buying a 13 mini on eBay as I know I'll enjoy most of the experience. I can live with the 60hz screen and lesser camera configuration. I have a Sony mirrorless camera and plenty of lenses which take far better photos of my kids in the park.

Battery life remains the only concern. But you mention some good points and the device is roughly $450 on eBay as opposed to $1k for an iPhone 15 pro.

Reactions: AlanMarron and geta

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I recently upgraded to an iPhone 15 Pro from an iPhone X. Before that, I had an iPhone 7.

The iPhone 7 felt like the perfect size to me. The iPhone X was just a tad bit larger than I felt was comfortable, but tolerable. The iPhone 15 Pro is virtually identical in width so in my hand it feels pretty close to an iPhone X.

If I had a choice, I'd go for an iPhone 7 size, but the iPhone 15's size is ok with me too. I have fairly large hands so the main drawback for me is that the iPhone 15 Pro is just slightly too large to fit in some pockets I'd want to put it in.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Op ive got both the 12 and 13 mini, and moved to the 15 Pro last October. I specifically got the 15 Pro because its slightly smaller than regular 15 but with same 6.1” display, and that the 16 Pros will be getting larger screens. Honestly i would still consider the 15 Pro to be a small phone, compared to the Minis based on my experience. Yes slightly larger and heavier, but still can be used one handed and was quite easy to get used to.

zerocharlie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2022
Op ive got both the 12 and 13 mini, and moved to the 15 Pro last October. I specifically got the 15 Pro because its slightly smaller than regular 15 but with same 6.1” display, and that the 16 Pros will be getting larger screens. Honestly i would still consider the 15 Pro to be a small phone, compared to the Minis based on my experience. Yes slightly larger and heavier, but still can be used one handed and was quite easy to get used to.
This is really helpful. Thanks.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
My wife’s 15 Pro seems so small when I use it compared to my 15 Plus.

However, both phones feel the same weight to me, or if anything the smaller Pro feels a little heavier even though it’s not.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017

I went from the 13 Pro Max to the regular 15 for the exact same reasons. It took me a couple of days to adjust to the size and weight. Right now I feel the 15 is the right and perfect size for a phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.