Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I have had my IPP 12.9 for about a year, always in a backpack but in a cover or attached to the magic keyboard. I never had an issue with bending, and neither does it feel like it would.

That said, I know someone who has the same approach and has bent theirs. But if you use your backpack as a seat or throw it about without a care then its easy to see how it could get bent!

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

ImKo96

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2023
It is still a problem and won't get smaller, as the new iPads are rumored to be even thinner. Buy a rigid case or one of those covers attached to a keyboard and you will be fine.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
It is still a problem and won't get smaller, as the new iPads are rumored to be even thinner. Buy a rigid case or one of those covers attached to a keyboard and you will be fine.
But why doesn’t Apple fix it if they are so Rich and Great? I think all they need to do is make the frame/sides stainless steel?

• Angry
Reactions: AlexMac89

engbren

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
Australia
I would be more concerned with whether the iPad Pro is the right device for you. I've found that over time, my use of my iPad Pro has dropped and my use of MacBook Air has increased. It's now to the point that I could probably sell the iPad Pro and not really miss it. What matters is your use cases and whether they are better suited to the iPad Pro form factor.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
I think bendgate has been overstated. Yes they'll all bend if enough force is applied - I've seen a couple of backpack victims that are undoubtedly kinked. But it's also true that every iPad I've seen in recent years has a very, very slight curve from the factory. Imperceptible unless viewed along its length with a keen eye. I believe it's by design in order to 'pre-stress' the frame in one prescribed direction. Paradoxically, to make it resist bending. It's not an unusual thing in engineering, and I believe it's this phenomenon that many are erroneously calling a 'bent' iPad.

Reactions: Timpetus

nxt3

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2023
That article is almost 6 years old. This is not a wide spread problem. Can happen if the device is abused. Just use common sense.

Sounds like nobody has clicked through to that article. It is saying some iPads are bent out of the box and Apple even confirmed it.

• Angry

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
Sounds like nobody has clicked through to that article. It is saying some iPads are bent out of the box and Apple even confirmed it.

I read it 5 years ago.
Some iPads are coming out like this from the factory due to manufacturing variances. It doesn’t mean that they bend easily.
The vast majority of them are within the tolerances set by Apple.

Given a sufficient amount of force, EVERY iPad or phone or MacBook ever built will bend.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
I read it 5 years ago.
Some iPads are coming out like this from the factory due to manufacturing variances. It doesn’t mean that they bend easily.
The vast majority of them are within the tolerances set by Apple.

Given a sufficient amount of force, EVERY iPad or phone or MacBook ever built will bend.

I think the issue is that it bends without much force. Of course everything bends if you use enough force, but it should have a certain amount of rigidity for the price they charge.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Never had problem with iPad Pro 12.9 M1. I can easily bend metal objects. lol. But again I don’t make YouTube videos breaking and bending things. My iPad Pro goes with my MBp 16, padded portion of my backpack is for MBP. My iPad Pro with MK goes with my books or anything else in backpack. Did few hundred trips, never had bending issue.

HDFan

macrumors 604
Jun 30, 2007
I travelled all the time with an iPad in a backpack interior sleeve. It was thrown around a lot going into overhead luggage bins. Never had a problem.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
Never had a bent iPad and I have owned most of them. Neighbor left his on the couch and put a pillow over it to protect. Wife put knee onto pillow to low behind the clinch and yep, you guessed it! Leave your iPad on a flat hard surface. Beat the wife!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.