Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
just to confirm a post above, there is a mono speaker listed in the tech specs.

Attachments

• Apple - MacBook Air - Technical Specifications.jpg
    Apple - MacBook Air - Technical Specifications.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 1,953

~David

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2007
Ontario, Canada
There's no way that small thing could be the mono speaker, it's most likely internal.

I'm shocked that it's mono in the first place... We're in the age of surround sound and they go back a few decades to mono.

masse

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2007
MA/GA
Nah can't be mono speakers..Apple never makes compromises to make things smaller!

They just underclock everything they can so that it won't overheat in a smaller case.

Domofloge

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2008
New Jersey
I'm pretty confident that there are NO speakers built in to the MBA. Pretty sad if you ask me considering music is a large part of Apple's being...

All the diff iPods that started a MP3 player revolution.

wentwj

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
I'm pretty confident that there are NO speakers built in to the MBA. Pretty sad if you ask me considering music is a large part of Apple's being...

All the diff iPods that started a MP3 player revolution.

Considering that both Apple's website and several people above you have confirmed that it does indeed have a built in mono speaker, I'd like to applaud your effort and/or reading comprehension.

Bravo good sir.

RR08EvoX

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2007
there is definitely a speaker... i read somewhere it is under one side of the keyboard and sound comes out through the keys.

island

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2007
Nashville
Considering that both Apple's website and several people above you have confirmed that it does indeed have a built in mono speaker, I'd like to applaud your effort and/or reading comprehension.

Bravo good sir.

L O LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

carsncars

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2007
From Engadget:

The speaker is mono only (not stereo), so your audio output will suffer a bit. The audio comes out of the keyboard holes in the right side, and it sounds a little funny.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/15/macbook-air-plenty-more-details/

So I guess it's just behind the keyboard and seeps out between the keys..?

Just for system prompts and some voice, I suppose. Definitely not for music, but most ultraportables are this way.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
If you meant the other 'hole' then my guess is that it's like the other iSight's in the other models, one hole is the mic and the other is status light or as someone else mentioned, an ambient light sensor

it cant be the light, the light is right next to the actual cam, im gonna check out the mba page, if the mba doesnt have reasonable quality, like around mb quality (can be worse, but not from a laser small hole), then an mba is a no buy for me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.