Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has your iPad its own name?

• No.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • No. But my Macbook/Mac/PC has its own name.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • "iPad". what else? - IT'S WRITTEN ON THE BACKSIDE!

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Yes, of course. I name all my electronic devices. They’re family…

Votes: 29 35.4%
  • Yes. With. A. Label.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It’s complicated, see my comment below…

Votes: 7 8.5%

• Total voters

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 19, 2020
Welcome, tech enthusiasts and gadget aficionados, to another whimsical poll of the digital age!

Today, we dive deep into the mesmerizing world of iPad naming. That's right, folks, we're here to unravel the age-old mystery: Do people really give their iPads names? Because they sure do for their Macbooks, Macs, PCs.… must be the "personal" part in "personal computer".

Disclaimer: This poll is purely for entertainment purposes, but maybe some iPads will be renamed during and after it’s running.

Having written that, has someone seen "Sir Swipe-a-Lot"?!??? 🥹😂🤣

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
We have multiple iPads in the household so the names tend to be descriptive for easy identification on the router or Find My.

e.g.

• Dad iPad wifi
  • Dad iPad lte
  • Mom iPad lte
  • Mom iPad 12.9
  • My iPad Pro 9.7
  • My iPad Pro 10.5
  • etc…

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I name my devices so I can easily differentiate them when I'm looking at them in a list like in Find My or AirDrop. The names tend to be based on model names, so for instance my iPad Air is "AirPad" my iPhones are usually just iPhone6, iPhone7, etc, but currently I'm calling my iPhone X "XPhone". My iPad Pro is "QidPro" because when I was trying to come up with a name for it, the phrase "Quid pro quo" was in the news, and it stuck me as a fun name for the iPad. So mostly just model names, but sometimes with a twist.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Technically every device has a "name" for network device identification. Basically I name my with the person's first name followed by the basic name of what the device is such as "John's Apple TV 4K" or "John's iPad Pro 5th gen". As far as a "pet name" type of thing, no I don't. Never with any vehicle either or any other inanimate object.

Reactions: muzzy996

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Technically every device has a "name" for network device identification. Basically I name my with the person's first name followed by the basic name of what the device is such as "John's Apple TV 4K" or "John's iPad Pro 5th gen". As far as a "pet name" type of thing, no I don't. Never with any vehicle either or any other inanimate object.
We should start a poll to name this guys stuff

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
My iPad is just named "iPad (2)" I'm not sure why it got the (2) at the end, nor why it didn't adopt my Mac username when I connected it to iTunes, but that's the name that stuck... I think I will start to name future iPads of mine in this manner, with the next one being (3) ands so on. I buy infrequently enough that I will probably never get past 5 or 6.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
My iPad is just named "iPad (2)" I'm not sure why it got the (2) at the end, nor why it didn't adopt my Mac username when I connected it to iTunes, but that's the name that stuck... I think I will start to name future iPads of mine in this manner, with the next one being (3) ands so on. I buy infrequently enough that I will probably never get past 5 or 6.
That’s such a good idea I wish I would’ve done it. I’ve had so many Apple devices over the years it would’ve been neat to have my iPhone be like iPhone (9) and I know it’s my ninth iPhone I’ve ever had. Same for iPad and Apple Watch and Apple TV

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
You kind of have to name your iPad, at least in the settings.

If you don't, it's just going to be "Tom's 5th iPad" or something like that it can get untidy.

So when I pull out my EXCALIBUR I know exactly how it will show up on my router.

😆

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghost31

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I've got a TON of devices and try to name and theme them all to easily differentiate them...
My primary iPad (9th gen) is named: ThinkiPad.
I own a few ThinkPads and have been a big fan of them since I used the very first ThinkPad before it was released to the public. (I was a member the software development team at IBM)

image (3).png image (2).png image (1).png image.png

Douglas-NZ

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2020
Kirikiriroa, Aotearoa MZ
Yes. They all have at least one name. We typically buy devices direct from Apple, so there's typically a device name as part of the engraving, but then I might pick something longer for the Device name in iOS.

Reactions: Lioness~

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I've got a TON of devices and try to name and theme them all to easily differentiate them...
My primary iPad (9th gen) is named: ThinkiPad.
I own a few ThinkPads and have been a big fan of them since I used the very first ThinkPad before it was released to the public. (I was a member the software development team at IBM)

View attachment 2207343 View attachment 2207344 View attachment 2207342 View attachment 2207341
These are coolest wallpapers and stickers I see to date.

Reactions: Ghost31

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
We should start a poll to name this guys stuff
Not every device is named like that, just the devices that there are multiple ones of with four people on the same home network. I mostly do this for my router's QoS devices list so I can keep easier track of what device may be using more bandwidth than normal. Sometimes there are up to 19 devices connected with all the Apple devices, smart TVs, satellite boxes, gaming devices, etc. in the home on the network at one time.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I use names with versions "iPad Pro 11" 4th generation" so I can keep track of devices that may need to be replaced, what hardware they have, etc.

Reactions: MacManiac76

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
I do have names for all my devices, usually based on their job in my day to day routine. Of course I put my own spin on them too XD

iPad mini: Little Man (it's small but still powerful)
iPad Pro: Palace Clerk (it's fancy, and sort of a gateway to the premium world)
Windows laptop: Dormant One (i use it in emergencies only)

I didn't get any of them engraved to make sure I don't slap myself if I decide to rename one.

returnZero

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2021
do not have iPad in possession at the moment but all of those devices at home having their corresponding monikers assigned to them

Attachments

• IMG_3720.jpeg
    IMG_3720.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: flobach
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.